Is this serious? Experts please.

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
Soooo I just recently got back into doing weight training a little instead of doing all cardio. Meaning, it's been awhile since i've done weights/resistance training of any kind. Yesterday, aside from some leg machines, I did the rowing machine for about 10 minutes total. I didn't think it was too strenuous. It felt like a good workout. I wake up this morning, and my left arm(inner area mostly) is in SO much pain. I cannot fully extend it or pick up anything or lean on it at all. I've felt normal soreness after a good workout, and this isn't it.

So for the experts, did I just do too much? Will it go away soon? Should I see a doctor?

Replies

• t_rog
    Options
    And by "experts" I mean people who do a lot of weight training and/or fitness trainers.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor. Not being able to extend your arm or put weight on it is nor normal.

From what you've said you've done leg work and rowing.

Unless a person responding to you has examined you personally their opinion is worthless. See a medical professional who can examine your injury, not give generic advice.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You are just SUPER Sore... you overworked yourself! I've done that to my shoulder without meaning to from combining 30DS with my own heavy lifting routines. It hurt SOO Bad.

Ice and Heat... pain killers if you'd like and baby it :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It does sound strange that you would be THAT sore on one side......I don't know if I qualify as an "expert" but as long as there is no redness/discoloration, swelling, or numbness in your arm, I would personally wait a couple of days to call the doctor. Try a heating pad and some mild stretches.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine? Do you mean like a Concept 2 Rowing Machine or one of the weight machines that imitate a barbell/dumbbell row?
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Unless a person responding to you has examined you personally their opinion is worthless. See a medical professional who can examine your injury, not give generic advice.

^^Kind of agree here. Be careful.
  • t_rog
    Options
    Rowing machine? Do you mean like a Concept 2 Rowing Machine or one of the weight machines that imitate a barbell/dumbbell row?

concept 2 rowing machine.

and yes, its just ONE side. the other side is the 'normal' soreness. is there such a thing as like...tearing muscle? or something? i don't know, i'm just trying not to worry that i seriously injured myself.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

concept 2 rowing machine.

and yes, its just ONE side. the other side is the 'normal' soreness. is there such a thing as like...tearing muscle? or something? i don't know, i'm just trying not to worry that i seriously injured myself.

If you have a personal doctor that you always go to, it wouldn't hurt to just call and talk to the nurse.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've done the same to my legs before. I had to walk hunched over because I couldn't straighten them, and had to shuffle because I could barely move them. Took about a week to recover, I'll be honest, but I did have a complete recovery - just keep trying little movements until it goes better.
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm an athletic trainer so I deal with injuries all day long with my athletes. I would have to agree with the people who say unless someone can actually examine you there advice isn't all that helpful.
    With that being said I work for a Physical Therapy company in the Chicago area and I know a lot of the bigger PT companies out there (like mine) offer complimentary injury screens (these are free and usually take about 20-30 minutes) and then you could have a medical professional look at it without necessarily going to the doctor. If you live in the midwest (or east coast) I would be more than happy to give you recommendation on what companies offer this kind of thing. If you don't live in the midwest then you would just need to do a little research online to see who offers then, but I would start by looking at the bigger companies. Feel free to send me a message if you want more info about the screen process
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    That's why you need to talk to your doctor.

I'm a softball pitcher the only time I've ever had intense pain like that is when I had a seven injured shoulder (cried through my grand final. I've never known pain like it) I avoided the doctor because I knew what I would be told. The sports Physio I attended pretty much got me through the season. I had to take six months off from ANY weight bearing exercise for my shoulder and since my issue was a result of poor mechanics this meant I started the season with having to retrain myself.

I don't know if you've seriously injured yourself. Rest and icing would probably take the pain away but it's always best to go to the doctor when you have soreness that is unusual for yourself.
  • t_rog
    Options
    I've done the same to my legs before. I had to walk hunched over because I couldn't straighten them, and had to shuffle because I could barely move them. Took about a week to recover, I'll be honest, but I did have a complete recovery - just keep trying little movements until it goes better.

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh. i'm just visualizing it, and it totally reminds me of me today. every time i have to use it or try to reach for something, i look completely handicapped.

thanks everyone for your advice! i appreciate it.
  • t_rog
    Options
    ebahde and lozze, thank you. looks like i'm calling the doc.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh. i'm just visualizing it, and it totally reminds me of me today. every time i have to use it or try to reach for something, i look completely handicapped.

thanks everyone for your advice! i appreciate it.

Haha - makes me laugh to think about it now. Wasn't funny at the time. Was incredibly embarrassing. Took me about 10 minutes to walk across the room - thank goodness I lived in a ground floor apartment back then and not the house I'm in now!

I did it with about an hour of starjumps and running on the spot to music - mostly starjumps, just running on the spot when I needed a break. I went through most of an album before I eventually stopped, and I remember a bit of pain as I went to bed that night but nothing out of the ordinary. The next morning, it took forever to get out of bed, and climbing into the bath for a shower was a military operation. Learnt my lesson quickly!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're pregnant.

Sorry -- it's obligatory here whenever someone describes a physical ailment. Hope you're on the mend soon. :wink:
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at fitness or trainer - but I am a 3rd year med student for what its worth, but not a full fledged doc yet

It sounds like you just went too hard - when you say you having trouble extending your arm do you mean moving it forward from arms at your side? cause thats anatomical extension - pain there would indicate possibly some bursitis of your shoulder but more likely a deltoid or pectoral strain

if you mean that your pain is from moving your arm from hands at the side to outwards pointing away from your body - thats a supraspinatus/deltoid strain - which would make more sense because you put a lot of strain on your rotator cuff.

My advice would be ice not heat, plus an OTC antiinflammatory (if you use aspirin you will have to use a higher dose) - if it persists I would go see your doctor, and keep pressure off it, so just do some cardio or legs until its better
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had pain like that from working my muscles too much. I literally couldn't get up or sit down without assistance.

However, if it doesn't feel better in a couple of days (cause muscles soreness/healing takes 3-4 days) I'd see a doctor just to be safe. :) Hope you feel better soon!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Go see a PT. Do NOT look for medical advice on mfp. Good luck. :happy:
  • Jenmccabe
    Jenmccabe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    See a doctor ..
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It seems like you at least pulled something. It can be healed on its own, but it could be something more serious. Like others have said, your doctor is the best person to go to, especially if it doesn't feel better in the next day or two.

If you don't have insurance and can't afford a doctor, make sure to rest it, drink lots of water, eat protein, and make sure to take longer showers to try to help with muscle soreness and recovery. You might also want to look into a cream like icy hot to help with the pain. Be aware that icy hot just treats the symptom, not the problem.