How Sitting All Day Is Damaging Your Body and How You Can Co

Options
I just thought this article was thought-provoking. I know many of us have office jobs.

http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-sitting-all-day-is-damaging-your-body-and-how-you-can-counteract-it

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Very true. Thanks for sharing!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Have read loads of similar articles. I get my exercise in around my work, but it's never nice to read how you should also be standing up and moving every hour when you simply don't have time.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know I have tight hip flexors from sitting all day... I would love to get one of these:

http://www.trekdesk.com/
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    Good info! i have a desk job and i didn't realize how poorly it affected my health sitting all day
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    :heart: LIfehacker
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    Thanks! I know I have tight hip flexors from sitting all day... I would love to get one of these:

http://www.trekdesk.com/

Oh my goodness. I've been telling my fiance for the past year or so how much I'm desperate for someone to invent one of these - they exist?!?!

Must....get...saving.

Will never have the money, ugh.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The reason I started to get fit was the damage to my shoulders and back that sitting at my desk at work was doing. And there's nothing technically wrong with my desk set up as far as I am aware.

I spend so much time outside of my job counteracting the damage sitting all day commuting and at work does to my body.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    In addition to getting up every so often, there is a website that shows how you can sneak in exercise into your regular activities: www.squeezeitin.com I´m sorry to say I haven´t done any of them yet, but the idea sure is cute...
    Plus, I´ve found that if you just stop avoiding the exercise that´s available in front of you, you can get some exercise into your day. For example:
    Going into the bank instead of going through the drive-thru,( if you´re doing it because you´re too lazy to get out of the car)
    Choosing the stairs instead of the elevator

After you do that, there´s also a chain reaction, because your positive attitude towards exercise helps you be more positive towards doing workouts or going to the gym.
    I have a blog that I mostly wrote last year, about 100 tips for losing weight: www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/30tips
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Have read loads of similar articles. I get my exercise in around my work, but it's never nice to read how you should also be standing up and moving every hour when you simply don't have time.
    If you have to answer the phone for clients, you could try pacing a little bit during the phone call, for example.... the best thing is to find the standing up habit that will be the easiest for you to adopt. If you would be good at getting up for a drink of water, then try that... that way you could get your eight glasses of water by the time the work day is over!
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    If you have to answer the phone for clients, you could try pacing a little bit during the phone call, for example.... the best thing is to find the standing up habit that will be the easiest for you to adopt. If you would be good at getting up for a drink of water, then try that... that way you could get your eight glasses of water by the time the work day is over!

No phonecalls for me, unfortunately (I say unfortunately...I hate phones), and no moving around the office day-to-day. I'm a writer, so it's a case of sit, type until I can type no more, and go home.

I do move a few steps to the water cooler, though, to be fair. Maybe not once an hour, but three times a day now that I think about it. It's only a few steps, like I say, but it's enough I suppose. Though I DO want a Trekdesk now... :(
  • moltabocca
    Options
    I'm using Workrave to at least sneak in some eye, shoulder and hand rest. It pops up every 30 minutes (or whatever amount you want) and will pace you through a series of 10 second exercises for your eyes, hands and shoulders. You sit right at the computer doing this. http://www.workrave.org
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    sitting is the new smoking
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a trekdesk and walk anywhere frommtwomto five hours most days of the week. I couldn't walk the entire day (kills my feet after a while) but I can absolutely attest to less back, shoulder and neck pain as well as overall feeling much better at work. If you can swing a treadmill desk I strongly encourage it!
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    this explains how 7 years of driving truck for a living ruined my body
    I don't do that anymore, but now I'm sitting at a desk a lot, but at least I can get up and move a lot easier and more frequently.