Freakin NASTY people!

ebkins7
ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok... I have to rant just a bit...

I love going to the gym and I think it a great thumbs up for everyone that does go!!! But what really just discusts me is when people get on a cardio machine, sweat ALL OVER IT and then don't clean it!!! That is just bad manners! No one wants that nastiness on them. Today I saw 2 PEOPLE do that, I see at least 1 everytime I go! Please people clean your machines when you're done!!! And definately clean them BEFORE you get on... you never know, the person before you may have left you nasty little gift!!!

Keep working hard, hope everyone is meeting thier health and fitness goals!!!

11440.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Ok... I have to rant just a bit...

I love going to the gym and I think it a great thumbs up for everyone that does go!!! But what really just discusts me is when people get on a cardio machine, sweat ALL OVER IT and then don't clean it!!! That is just bad manners! No one wants that nastiness on them. Today I saw 2 PEOPLE do that, I see at least 1 everytime I go! Please people clean your machines when you're done!!! And definately clean them BEFORE you get on... you never know, the person before you may have left you nasty little gift!!!

Keep working hard, hope everyone is meeting thier health and fitness goals!!!

11440.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

I see that in my studio, I have to remind fully gronw adults to wipe down the yoga mats and the weight machines....I wonder if they wash their hands after using the facilities....it's just plain rude.
  • ebkins7
    [/quote]

I see that in my studio, I have to remind fully gronw adults to wipe down the yoga mats and the weight machines....I wonder if they wash their hands after using the facilities....it's just plain rude.
    [/quote]

I'm not afraid of germs and bugs, but I do try to protect myself a bit! It amazes me how people think that it's all right to do that! Then not only to they pick up those nasties, but they pass it on to those they know! EW!!!

I read these posts a lot and like what you say. You are very encouraging!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member

[/quote]

I'm not afraid of germs and bugs, but I do try to protect myself a bit! It amazes me how people think that it's all right to do that! Then not only to they pick up those nasties, but they pass it on to those they know! EW!!!

I read these posts a lot and like what you say. You are very encouraging!!!
    [/quote]

I'm not afraid of the germs either. It's just gross when they don't wipe the machines... down. YUCK!! That is why I do not like gyms.
  • pbgolding
    pbgolding Posts: 14
    :noway: There are signs posted in our gym all over the place, and still you see at least 2 people everytime I go. Some people just don't have manners. I am no germaphobe, but I wipe down the machines before and after I use them, because some people are just NASTY!! :mad:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    I like that periodically throughout the day, at my gym, the staff go through and wipe down all the equipment with a bleach solution. Doesn't solve the problem for the person right in front of you, but, at least you know they are trying...
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    The worst part is all the items that are never or can't be wiped down. Our personal trainer at the Y is taking microbiology this summer and had an assigment to swab an item then see what grows....she chose the free weights....dumbbells specifically.....let's just leave it with the fact that she will have lots of substances to identify! :sick:
  • Birdgirl
    Birdgirl Posts: 6 Member
    My favorite is the guy who does free weights on a bench without a towel then gets up and walks away leaving a body imprint on the bench. GROSS.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    My favorite is the guy who does free weights on a bench without a towel then gets up and walks away leaving a body imprint on the bench. GROSS.
    :laugh:

I got one, a teen yesterday, working out in our gym room, was seen up against the mirrors squeezing his zits!!! SOOOOO GROSS! I went right over handed him the windex, I said "You squeeze it, you clean it" :laugh:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    I see it too! I never was too worried about, more annoyed than anything, until our neighbor caught a horrible staph infection from his gym. Now I wipe it down before I get on and after!! We don't go to the same gym, but mine is 10x's the size of his, so that means more opportunity for grossness!!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Amen! Enough said!!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    I agree with all of that--it's REALLY gross!

Another nasty thing is that people should really either brush their teeth or chew gum right before getting on a workout machine first thing in the morning at the gym. This past weekend, I was about 15 minutes into my groove on the treadmill when a woman got on the treadmill next to me and started working out. Within minutes I was assaulted by the nastiest halitosis I'd smelled in a long time! :mad: I realize that she probably can't smell it (probably killed her sense of smell), but it's hard to work out when you can't breathe!!! Luckily for me, her bad breath killed her machine and she moved on to some other part of the gym (without wiping her machine down). Unfortunately for me, her bad breath killed my machine at the same time :grumble: so I also had to switch to another treadmill.

...of course, it probably wasn't her breath that did it--I suspect that her HRM (if she was wearing one) interfered with the treadmills (they're FreeMotion and I think they have issues with HRM signals killing them from time to time, since it's happened quite a bit to my hubby and once or twice with me). I don't think it was my HRM, since it's coded and I had no problems until she came along...
  • ebkins7
    well I'm certainly glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this is just gross!!!

And the ZIT guy... hello... do that crap at home!!! wow!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    you're supposed to clean them when you are done? :wink: Jk

I hate that too!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    People who do that IMO are either narcissists, or they have real anger issues. I worked in clubs for years and virtually every man (and they were ALL men) who left the machines a dripping mess fit into one of those two categories.

A lot of times they have an attitude like: "hey, I have 'people' who do everything else for me, someone else should do this, too".

Believe me, I am a waterfall during a cardio workout--I will lose 3-4 lb in a 45+ minute workout. But I always clean up after myself--and I carry an extra towel (sprayed w/cleaner) around with me on the strength equipment.

Occasionally, people have some inadvertent issues w/ halitosis, BO, that they are not aware of, but with these guys--it's NO accident--they are doing it on purpose just because they think they can.

A club membership doesn't include a "jerk" clause.
This discussion has been closed.