Should I Return my Polar HRM? frustrated

Options
ugh This is the second week I have used it. It keeps givin me 700-730 calories burned in my Zumba and hip hop class. The heart rate readings average 180-89 with a max of 195-200.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I'm not getting as high as 200. Never in class do I feel light headed. I'm working hard no doubt but not about to pass out hard! I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

When I test it on a treadmill, it's accurate. Could it be that it doesn't work well with high impact aerobics??

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I'm not an expert and I don't play one on TV, but from what I've read, you can burn a lot of calories doing zumba, much more than using a treadmill. So depending on how long of a class you are doing, you may actually be burning close to what you posted. Of course, I'll be interested to see what others say as well.

PS... I have a Polar FT7.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I use my Polar during personal training sessions and that is not high impact cardio, and my heart rate gets up into the 170's. Are you sure it is wrong?
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you really get the electrodes nice and wet before you attach the plate thing to the strap. I can get wonky readings if I don't really soak the electrodes.
  • angelltn
    Options
    During workouts, my heart rate can easily get up to 160 and I feel fine, could push a little harder. So, if you feel like you're really working it in Zumba it could be. You can always do a check and get your pulse....#of beats in 6 seconds and add a zero. That will at least quickly tell you if it's reading in the correct range. Good luck!
  • sirenvega
    sirenvega Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my Zumba class my HRM says I burn any where form 800-1000 calories an hour.
  • forsophia2009
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys.

I have an FT7 as well.

I asked my trainer and she felt it was really high. I scheduled a session with my trainer for tomorrow and will ask her to test it out. In just worried that it's the high impact aerobics that's giving it a wrong reading.

Maybe I should invest in the gel instead of wetting it??
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your settings? My HRM (Garmin) asks for age, gender, weight etc, if you made an error with me of these you might be getting incorrect readings.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Apologies - duplicate.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my polar says my max is 193, and i regularly am in the 160-165 for around an hour (sometimes 170-174 for 10-15 minutes). up to 800 calories an hour on the elliptical.
    knowing how intense zumba can be, it doesnt surprise me that you could burn that much
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should invest in the gel instead of wetting it??

As an experiment in one of my college classes we tested to see if using gel was any more accurate than using water (against taking the pulse at the wrist). We found no significant difference between gel and water accuracy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm 150 pounds and burn about 500 in an hour of Zumba. Several sources agree with that figure.

Based on weight, you can kind of figure out it that's in the ballpark for you.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    In Zumba, if you are really into the music you could be working a lot harder than you think you are, because the enjoyment takes over.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I burn 650-800 in a 60 min session of Zumba (so says my Polar FT7)

but I DO feel like I am going to pass out sometimes (though that is not a rare occurrence for me at all)
    i DO know that I am working hard

so the burn doesn't sound abnormal at all to me.
    if you are really into the music you could be working a lot harder than you think you are, because the enjoyment takes over.

^ I feel like that is your answer :)
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Mine often gets to 168-170 heart rate, and I, also, could push harder at that heart rate. I think it sounds fine
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm 150 pounds and burn about 500 in an hour of Zumba. Several sources agree with that figure.

Based on weight, you can kind of figure out it that's in the ballpark for you.

I'm 186lb and I burn 530 in an hour of Combat... if that helps? I think it could be right...?

Just looked at my HRM - Max heartrate is 183, average 159...
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The more in shape you get the lower your heart rate will get.

When my gf 1st started working out her HR was higher than mine and got there quicker.
    My HR took longer to get up b/c I was more fit than her.