How do you cut your carbs?

Options
Hey everyone,

I need some suggestions.... I need to cut my carbs (so says my nutritionist) to hopefully avoid diabetes but I am a CARBO QUEEN!!!! I have been watching what I eat and I am doing pretty good but I can't seem to get my carbs down. Pasta, rice, bread, etc..... I am still eating too much.

So how do you all cut your carbs? I need ideas!!!!!

Replies

• danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First try cutting out "white" carbs. No white sugar, white bread, or white rice. So that means no soda, etc. Buy whole wheat bagel thins or sandwich thins. Eat oatmeal instead of sugary cereal. Go into your settings and change your macros. Mine are 40% protein, 30% carbs 30% fat. It's a start at least. :) Good luck.
  • BA19430
    BA19430 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do I change the macros? I looked but didn't see it.
    I like the idea of starting with the white carbs. I already don't drink soda and I just started using Truvia in my coffee. Just need to work on the rest of that.
    Thanks for the tips.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Eating less grains in general is the easiest way, but as someone said, a good first step would be to reduce refined carbohydrates. I'm not a low-carber, but if you're headed that way, ease yourself into it. Don't go from eating white bread, pasta, rice, etc. to only having 30-40g of carbs per day.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    How do I change the macros? I looked but didn't see it.
    I like the idea of starting with the white carbs. I already don't drink soda and I just started using Truvia in my coffee. Just need to work on the rest of that.
    Thanks for the tips.

Goals --> Customize goals.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use a knife, or my bare hands. But for some carbs, like oats, no cutting required.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    please go to this site...it will give you everything you need...great foods and great snacks...low carb veggies.....fruits...meats...and other proteins.....you will love it..

www.lowcarbdiets.about.com

try it

Bill
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Sometimes I use a knife, or my bare hands. But for some carbs, like oats, no cutting required.

trolololololololol
  • rayleansout
    Options
    dont eat pasta, potatos, white breads, sugars, candy, bananas, pears, look up low glycemic index and only eat those foods with a GI index of less than 45
  • JenniferB8512
    Options
    Think out of the box (or bread bag) when looking for a piece of bread or cracker! A slice of cucumber or a slice of daikon radish (sometimes called lo bok) or a square of red, green or yellow pepper makes a great "cracker). Sandwich meat wrapped inside a lettuce leaf also makes a substitute sandwich. Spaghetti squash works well as substitute for pasta.
  • BA19430
    Options

Hahaha! Awesome!!!!

Nopedotjpeg- thank you!

Bill - on my way there now. thank you for the link!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Usually a fork works just fine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as cutting carbs, but as increasing veggies or other components in your meal.
    I don't do "low carb" (not a fan) but I have changed the ratio of pasta or rice on my plate compared to the other components.
    If I cook pasta I usually have it with a sauce with heaps of veggies plu some meat or chicken or fish.
    When I make fried rice I use lots more veggies than I used to.
    This isn't such a big and scary change but it means you are getting in more veggies and protein, so the carbs decrease naturally.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    bump
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    dlife.com has a lot of recipes for people who are worried about diabetes. It helped me along with tracking.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's going to come down to some self-discipline on your part. You have to decide if eating a carby dinner versus a protein and vegetable heavy dinner is worth you potentially getting diabetes. You should ask yourself every time you feel like chowing down on stuff your dietician suggests you avoid.

As for techniques, start replacing foods that are carb-heavy with vegetables, fresh fruits, and proteins like lean meats, beans, etc. Fruit does contain sugar and carbohydrates, but far less than a bowl of noodles. They also provide vitamins and nutrients.

Examples:

Instead of eating pasta for dinner, opt instead for some lean chicken and veggies with a dessert of fruit.
    Instead of eating white bread, try going for flatbread instead which cuts down on your total calories as well as your carbs for sandwiches.
  • BA19430
    Options
    dont eat pasta, potatos, white breads, sugars, candy, bananas, pears, look up low glycemic index and only eat those foods with a GI index of less than 45

Crap this is going to be a lot harder than I thought..... I totally wasn't thinking about bananas being carbs.... I eat at least one a day! Ahhh. ok so thats done.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same things but I cut the carb's out and replace it with something else. Like instead of using bread to make a wrap I use lettuce, I try to get most of my carbs from veggies, so if try to eat them with every single meal to keep the hunger at bay. Also I'm learning to stay away from fat-free stuff they tend to have more carbs and more sugar so I stick with the real stuff just less. It's been a struggle for me to cut carbs but little things like that are helping me keeping it under control.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist a couple of months ago because I DO have the dreaded diabetes. It is controlled now after 3 months of hard work, but cutting carbs was my suggested key too. For me, this is what was recommended: 15g carb per snack, 40-60g carb per meal split amongst 2-3 items if possible.

Read your labels. Beans (green beans are my best friend), cottage cheese, (some) fruit...they're all low carb. Grapes over bananas! Lots and lots of skinless grilled chicken too. If you can't go cold turkey on the things you love, go way smaller portions. Bread (like rolls) and pasta I avoid for now.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Crap this is going to be a lot harder than I thought..... I totally wasn't thinking about bananas being carbs.... I eat at least one a day! Ahhh. ok so thats done.

Don't think about that too much. While there are fruits like bananas that are high on the glycemic index, you should try to go with small steps at first.