Am I overreacting?

Options
So, I've been doing Zumba classes every Tues/Thurs since December. I have a Garmin and it accurately records my calories. I'm not "skinny" at around 240lbs, but I'm flexible and active.

A group of people in my class came up to me to ask what my HRM said for calories. Mine is always at around 600 calories a class. Theirs? Always around 300....

Am I overreacting thinking that I'm out of shape that I burn more and am being too hard on myself? OR, should I take it as I'm actually putting the effort in harder and just different than everyone? I guess I know the answer kinda, but could use some cheering up....

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more you're going to burn more. But since I can't see your stats I don't know. It could also be that you're putting in more effort. Burning more calories shouldn't make you feel bad.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more you're going to burn more. But since I can't see your stats I don't know. It could also be that you're putting in more effort. Burning more calories shouldn't make you feel bad.

This. The more you weigh, the more you burn regardless of heart rate!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I figured as much. Just one of those things that you just kind of feel bad about. Call it the "typical fat girl thoughts" LOL! I should start a novel....

#1 so far? "Oh! You should try eating less and you would lose weight!" Seriously?? LOL...can we say stereotype? ha!
  • Skeebee
    Options
    But since I can't see your stats I don't know.

My diary should be open to view. Didn't realize it was off. Let me know if you can see it now. :-P
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This. The more you weigh, the more you burn regardless of heart rate!

They are all right. Forget any thoughts but the ones that say you are doing good. I tried Zumba for the second time today in 2 years... I still have two left feet and can't move my feet if my hands are moving... But I can do step aerobics perfectly... I know it's messed up, but just enjoy yourself is all I'm saying.
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm 197 and use a Polar HRM and I consistently burn about 600 calories at Zumba. Love it!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    But since I can't see your stats I don't know.

My diary should be open to view. Didn't realize it was off. Let me know if you can see it now. :-P

I meant bodyweight and height more so. But yeah, everyone is different. I always have trouble with not comparing myself to others. It's a work in progress.
  • reharvrun
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com This will give you the calories burned.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Thanks for cheering me up, all. :-) Can always count on the MFP community to come through...:heart:
  • earnestfarley
    earnestfarley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, your rate of burn is based on your weight and heart condition. Many factors will impact your total. For example, if you have low oxygen consumption (Asthma) your heart coulc be working harder. I am 6'5", 259lbs male. Yesterday I road the bike for 60 minutes and burned 1000 calories. Went back today, after 30 minutes I ad only burned 300 calories and my heart rate never went above 130. Had to get on the stair machine to get into my target heart rate zone. My wife takes 70 minutes on the tred to get 600 calories. Stay with it a trust your equipment. Change up your workout and intensity and frequency. Then check your resting heart rate before getting out of bed. Compare that rate. You will see changes
  • Skeebee
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com This will give you the calories burned.

Umm.......that site told me 1053. O_o, I think I'll stick to the accuracy of my HRM. lol
  • EileenSipes
    Options
    Zumba is a fun way to burn those calories! Keep up the good work
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you zumba too!! I wear a HRM and my burn for my class this week was 800 cals for an hour! I'm not huge but I am motivated and I MOVE. While I try and refrain from looking like a complete spaz, I can dance and put a HEAP of energy into it. I can safely safe that even though everyone's doing the same moves, not everyone might be putting in the same effort :smile:
  • Skeebee
    Options
    For example, if you have low oxygen consumption (Asthma) your heart coulc be working harder.

Actually, I forgot that my metabolic testing back in May told me I have low oxygen intake (possibly from my allergies). That never dawned on me it might be related.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weight matters...and not just "fat", but the added muscle you have to move greater amounts of weight. I'm 4'11" and come in about 130. So...I burn almost nothing. Go me!

But how "in shape" you are matters too. That's the logic behind switching exercises every few months...once you're body gets "more efficient" at something, it burns fewer calories doing it. Probably isn't the largest factor in your Zumba situation, mind you, but you *should* expect the calories burned to go down over time, as you get better at it.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    While I try and refrain from looking like a complete spaz,..

I haven't figured out that part yet. DO TELL! HAHAH!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask - the answer is usually yes!

Don't worry about everyone else, there are going to be so many variables as to how many cals you burn - and even with an HRM, it is still an estimate based on some standard calculations. As long as you are eating well, enjoying your exercise and seeing some results, then I wouldn't change a thing - enjoy your workout and the fact that you have more calories to make a delicious and healthy dinner with than they do!
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Probably isn't the largest factor in your Zumba situation, mind you, but you *should* expect the calories burned to go down over time, as you get better at it.

Thanks! I have gone down about 30-40 calories an hour since starting back in December so I'm definitely seeing that change. Plus, I love that my instructor changes up the routines and adds new ones CONSTANTLY so that helps immensely.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    enjoy your workout and the fact that you have more calories to make a delicious and healthy dinner with than they do!

OM NOM NOM....
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i would be spewing if i only burnt 300 calories in a 45 min - 1 hour class.

i expect that if i go to the gym for an hour, i will have burnt at least 500 calories.