Drinking Soda

Options
My biggest weight problem has never been food. Its always been sodas. Right out of High School I lost 200lbs. I had stopped drinking sodas, Tea w/ sugar etc. And did hard training. NOW though I have gained that back except boughts when I was prego losing 60lbs each pregnancy. My problem is Soda. I just cannot break the habit. I believe I have a REAL problem. If I go a whole day without it I get agitated<<Sorry on spelling) I break out sweating, I am short with people...etc...etc... I cannot figure out how in the world I was able to do it before. I can drink any where from 1-2liter bottle on.....I probably haven't drank any water in over a week. This makes me angry at myself and I am not sure what to do. I really do wish it was has easy to just say" O.K. your not going to have a soda today! But I really have a problem and don't know what to do...Has far has Diet sodas. I would drink them but just out of habit when I walk into a store or whatever I get regular soda :( My husband refuses to drink Diet so I always end up with regular soda...

Replies

• horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That would be very hard, thakfully I don't have that problem, So one needs to decide on what you need to give up. I just saw where they had done some research with mice, they were more addicted to sugar than Meth, now that is bad. Think about it for awhile
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I want to say something but you probably won't like what I am gonna say. So, I won't say it.
  • 2sly4ya
    Options
    I feel you on this. Although I don't think I drank that much, I did have a Dr. Pepper (my absolute favorite drink!) with almost every meal (8-10oz). Since I started MFP and counting calories, I learned that it's not worth it to waste my calories on it. I have been drinking water more so than ever before. Now, I wont lie. On days where I have a few extra calories, I'll splurge and have some. But you know...after doing MFP for 3 weeks now....to be honest when I do splurge, I feel crappy afterwards. Like it was good while I drank it, but afterwards I regretted it. Not just mentally, but physically it wasn't as good as I remember...lol...if that makes sense? I say if you stick to it, eventually you'll lose the taste for it and crave water. I do, especially now that I've added a little more exercise into my daily routines, even if its walking, I always crave water now, not the Dr. Pepper. Hope that helps....good luck! :)
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have you tried gradually limiting your soda intake? Like drink half your normal amount for a few days, then just a can a day, then a few cans a week, etc.?

1L-2L bottled of regular soda definitely not good for you. 1L coke has 400 calories and 27g of sugar! It's good that you want to break the habit.

I empathize - I LOVE soda! Some people have no problems switching to water but I've never been able to cut it out completely. We got a sodastream for Christmas, and their syrup mixes have a lot less sugar/calories than the regular bottled flavors. I limit myself to a few sodas a week, no more than 10 ounces.

Good luck, don't be too hard on yourself, and try for the little victories!
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a soda problem too. I have tried to cut back, but it is really hard. Just keep working on it. It must be hard to have it around though and not drink it have you tried talking to your man and considered not buying it so you won't be tempted. I would suggest drinking more water or everytime you go to grab a drink grab water instead and maybe limit it to once a week or something. I am with you on this it is hard. Good luck and I wish you the best.
  • darkcloud29
    Options
    Some days I don't drink that much soda. But if I was to average it I would say i drink atleast min. a 42 oz cup a day... I really want to get into this app. it seems really good and I don't lie on it I figured no use lieing to myself lol It would probably be easier if I could get my husband on board with this but he sees nothing wrong with me or hisself. I am a happy person I just wanna get healthy for my kids. I am doing my best to show him we need to get healthy!
  • darkcloud29
    Options
    @tsrwalker. You know what I make my children do that. They have to have a bottle of water before each soda or kool-aid and I even limit that. But its way easier to tell my 6 yr old that then myself....And sitting here thinking about that, I am gonna make myself do that. Maybe after each bottle of water I will feel satisfied enough I won't want a soda.~~ Thanks guys
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My mother has the same problem....with coffee! She can't cut it completely because she gets migraines but she weaned herself down to 1 cup per day. Just try cutting down even one glass a day (exchange it for water, tea, etc) for a week and then another the next, you might just need to wean yourself off it. Good luck!
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow... that sucks! Personally I like to eat my calories, not drink them. Instead of drinking a two liter of soda a day... just eat like 5 candy bars. Diet soda is just as bad as regular soda or even worse!! Sweeteners prevent fat loss so what's the difference? Either way if you drink soda (diet or regular) you're just sabotaging your chances to lose any kind of weight.

You're probably feeling like crap cuz your body is going through caffeine withdraw. If you're serious about quitting soda.... slowly stop drinking it to help with ease the addiction. Start with drinking a half a bottle a day..... then a can or two a day.. then down to a can every other day... then down to nothing.

You're probably also addicted to the fizz..... drink flavored seltzer water. Tastes bad at first... but you will get used to it. And I don't mean that sweetened crap..... just regular flavored seltzer water. If it tastes good.... you got the wrong kind.
  • mtppatrick
    Options
    Ever try Mio (water enhancer)? Or flavored water in general? You might be able to ween yourself off of it use flavor enhancers and fruit juices. I only drink lemon water at the moment and OJ here and there, but I know it can be tough sometimes. I'll crave a Dr. Pepper or Mexican Coke every once in a while...

16181292.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 2sly4ya
    Options
    Some days I don't drink that much soda. But if I was to average it I would say i drink atleast min. a 42 oz cup a day... I really want to get into this app. it seems really good and I don't lie on it I figured no use lieing to myself lol It would probably be easier if I could get my husband on board with this but he sees nothing wrong with me or hisself. I am a happy person I just wanna get healthy for my kids. I am doing my best to show him we need to get healthy!

I will admit, it's been easier on me since my husband is doing MFP with me and watching what he eats/drinks. It's always easier when you have someone encouraging you. Maybe if you explain that to your hubby, he'll understand that it's for both of you and for your kids. I know it's not easy, but it will be with time. These message boards are an extra boost, especially knowing there are others out there who have similar issues. You're not alone! Again, good luck. :happy:
  • darkcloud29
    Options
    I have seen the new water enhancers or new to me anyways. I will get one tomorrow and check it out. I tried that new G2 gatorade and holy cow it tastes horrid. I really thank you guys for taking time to reply and I don't feel all alone now since I know others have soda problems too! As far has just eating 5 Candy Bars!! Yukkkk lol I don't eat sweets at all. Never have! Guess its cause I get so much sugar from soda lmao....I wish I could get the drive I had right out of High School!! Blah......