weight loss in college?

Options
hi-

i'm 20 and currently living as a resident on campus, and i was wondering if any of you have tips for weight loss when you're forced to have a meal plan? our cafeteria doesn't have many options, especially since i am vegetarian, and i usually get a large salad for dinner with a bean burger...but i hate having the same thing every day! i go to the gym regularly and do weight lifting and cardio but i just can't seem to shake any weight. i take vitamins as well, and i don't eat junk food (chips/etc). my portions for white starchy foods and dairy is also low. is it because i'm not getting enough protein? or is my entire weight-loss plan completely flawed?

thanks.

Replies

• gettheledout3372
    gettheledout3372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a college student, but I dunno if I can offer exactly what you're asking because we don't really have a traditional meal plan. It sucks that you don't have a lot of options, I know my dad lost a lot of weight eating chef salad for dinner almost every night, but that would drive most of us crazy o.O If there's things like hard-boiled eggs, or cold cuts, those can be pretty healthy, and even a slice of cheese pizza, especially thin crust and if you dab some of the grease off, is only ~300 calories. Apart from that, maybe go with things that aren't traditionally dinner, like cereal or oatmeal?

If you're afraid you're not getting enough protein, eggs, beans, chicken and soy are probably your best bets. Are there vegetarians apart from the bean burger? If not, apart from supplements, you could always grab a can of red or black beans and some minute rice, and throw the whole thing in the microwave.

If you're sticking to your goal and getting a good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat, try eating all of your exercise calories if you don't already, or even eating a two or three hundred more per day in general. This is one of many threads on "starvation mode", where basically you don't get enough calories and your body hangs onto every ounce of fat it possibly can for survival.

Hope all this helps!