slim fast?

Options
my question is i been drinking a slim fast for breakfast and one for lunch with fruit for my in between snacks while i am at work they held me over good but when 5 pm rolls around i fill like i a m starved and last night i over ate from this has anyone had this problem or is it just me having a hungry day ????

Replies

• hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is full of sugar. You should probably have a meal for lunch and then a slim fast in the evening. I don't rate diets like this but if it works then each to their own. x
  • EmthePA
    Options
    I'm doing SF too. I was having the same issue so I'll have a mug of soup for early lunch and then SF mid afternoon to get me thru to dinner at 7pm ish.. It's working for me. Good luck!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Check the carbs on slimfast oooooooooo as said all sugar your best making your own smoothy I cant do sf makes me really hungry as thats what sugar does x
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I tried Slimfast a few years ago, and it didn't really satisfy me at all - all I could think about was "real" food! However, I have a friend who clalims it worked really well for her - different strokes for different folks! Have to say though, my friend was only a few pounds overweight - whereas as I'm much heavier - and I don't think her appetite is as big as mine.

Personally, I've found it better to eat healthily, filling up on lots of veg etc. But good luck, whatever you decide to do! :smile:
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Too many chemicals in Slim Fast, have you tried making a nice organic smoothie?
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been doing the slim fast diet for a couple of weeks and have done it before. How long have you been doing it because I find after a few days it gets easier. I have one for breakfast, one for lunch and then have a lovely dinner. If I am hungry during the day then I grab a piece of fruit or a small bag of snack-a-jacks or something. Also, drinking lots of water helps you feel full for longer.

Maybe you should try, as suggested above, having it for breakfast and dinner and having a substantial lunch to keep you going through the day.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast like other fad diets isn't sustainable and won't train you to get in the habit of making good food choices for the rest of your life. MFP encourages you to eat real food and just stay under a daily limit, making it a life style not a diet. Why make yourself miserable with constant hunger and cravings?

Go back through your goals, set yourself to lose 1lb a week and add friends with open diaries to see what successful people who have achieved healthy weight loss chose at each meal. I eat three full meals a day plus snacks and continue to lose weight.

I echo what others have said, Slim Fast is full of carbs. Try to get some protein in at each meal to reduce hunger.

Also look at increasing your activity to give yourself more calories to eat.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have SF at work, but it makes me more hungry later. My veggie coworker suggested SF to me, but warned of the munchies as the protein wears off, from the left over insulin from the sugar spike.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    eat PROPER food and this will not happen you will also have more energy :huh:
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you are into the quick, easy shake thing, I'd try replacing your SlimFast with Atkins or EAS Carb Control shakes. When I feel the need for something in my tummy, you can't go wrong with EggBeaters. I watch carbs as well as calories and for me that has been essential.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the poster who suggested a smoothie. Much healthier. Frozen (organic) fruit, wheat protein, and you can use either rice, soy, or almond milk. Smothies can be frozen and then carry it to work in an insulated lunch box, so it gradually thaw.

I think part of the health journey is to read labels and be an informed consumer. Like many, I am not a fan of slim fast either because of all the additives. Many health (nutrition) experts say - if you can't say the name of one or more ingredients - you shouldn't ingest it.

I also agree with the person who states that you should look at what you are eating. It sounds to me like you should have more proteins or fiber. Both keep you full longer.

Another suggestion for a low calorie snack which may fill you. If you soak 2 table spoons of chia seeds in about a third of a cup of water and use that. It is loaded with amino acids and omega3fatty acids (about 3000 mg in 2 tablespoons). Chia seeds also have less omega6fatty acids (inflammatory) than flax seeds.
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i tried slimfast it messed with my ibs and i was not drinking enough water and exercising enough so did not lose so i gave up got 3 massive tubs of the stuff at home xx
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    eat real food, real is left up to your discretion, but my input is something with protein, some fruit, maybe dairy. have a protein shake for a snack, IDK about slim fast though, there are better brands than that. and have a real lunch w/ like veggies and the sort. you're hungry on slim fast b/c your body needs real foods, slim fast is not it
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the poster who suggested a smoothie. Much healthier. Frozen (organic) fruit, wheat protein, and you can use either rice, soy, or almond milk. Smothies can be frozen and then carry it to work in an insulated lunch box, so it gradually thaw.

I think part of the health journey is to read labels and be an informed consumer. Like many, I am not a fan of slim fast either because of all the additives. Many health (nutrition) experts say - if you can't say the name of one or more ingredients - you shouldn't ingest it.

I also agree with the person who states that you should look at what you are eating. It sounds to me like you should have more proteins or fiber. Both keep you full longer.

Another suggestion for a low calorie snack which may fill you. If you soak 2 table spoons of chia seeds in about a third of a cup of water and use that. It is loaded with amino acids and omega3fatty acids (about 3000 mg in 2 tablespoons). Chia seeds also have less omega6fatty acids (inflammatory) than flax seeds.

My sentiments exactly!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with all the posters telling you to stop using SF because there are better ways to do it, to each his own and more importantly I can understand completely why someone might choose SF. I myself used it for just under a year and lost 60 pounds back in my late 20's with only adding exercise 4 times a week. If you don't have to count sugar/carbs because you don't have blood sugar issues it works just fine if used as directed, aka with small meals and exercise. I don't recall getting hungry though :( so what I might do is find a healthy snack, if you're on SF I can only assume part of the advantage is time, you don't have enough to make something for breakfast or lunch but you might be able to make a batch of boiled eggs on the weekend and tote them to work throughout the week or even grab snack packs of baby carrots or fruit cups or yogurts. Something small two hours after your slim fast and/or roughly two hours before eating a good meal should help and not spike your daily calories much at all.
  • inkleberry75
    Options
    Slim fast is good for being on the go. I freeze mine, open the can with a can opener and eat it like ice cream. It makes me feel like I am being naughty. Special K protein drinks are also good,.....However, be aware there are lots of sugars in these meal replacements and although one poster said it doesn't train you to be cautious of what you eat, it really does if you pay attention to the caloric value and the fat intake etc. Just be aware, for 180 cals you can have something a bit more filling and eating some things with fat will tide you over the hunger spells. I usually snack on a hard boiled egg or string cheese.......

So many decisions to make about diets....whether it be low carb or low fat......enough to make your head roll
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would skip the Slim Fast and start looking at real food options. Honestly, it's so much easier to make a lifestyle change and make it be permanent if you avoid gimmicks and products like these. I agree with "to each his own" but not when it comes to these sorts of products. Not healthy or sustainable.
  • LKFISHER
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS I HAVE BEEN DIETING FOR OVER A YR AND HAVE LOST 70 LBS BUT I LET MYSELF HAVE STUFF HERE AND THERE AND NOW I AM UP 20 IBS SO I AM TRYING THE SF SHAKES I HAD SOME COOKED CARROTS TODAY WITH A SHAKE FOR LUNCH AT 11 AND SO FAR I AM STILL REALLY FULL SO MAYBE THATS ALL I NEEDED WAS A LIL SOMETHING TO GO WITH IT AND I HAVE SEEN THAT THEY MAKE LOW CARB IN IT ALSO WITH ONLY 2 GRAMS OF SUGAR VERSES THE 18 GRAMS MINE HAS SO I THINK IM GONNA GET THOSE INSTEAD. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS..