Is Fish Healthy?

Options
Hello everyone...............Is fish good to eat while dieting?If so what kinds of fish would you all recommend? My favorite is catfish&talipia.

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Fish is very good for you. Its high in omega 3's (the really good fat) and protein.

I'm not a big fish fan... but I prefer tuna and salmon.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just as long as it isn't deep fried. Then it isn't so healthy. :flowerforyou:

It's all in the preparation: poached, baked in tin foil with some lemon juice.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not fried or sauteed in butter it'll be good. I love to grill salmon or talapia.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...............Is fish good to eat while dieting?

No.

Why?
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Salmon is great source of protein and good omega 3 fatty acids.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...............Is fish good to eat while dieting?

No.

Why?

Because I usually follow it with a few beers and a side of french fries.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So it is not healthy for you but could be for others? I am a vegetarian so it doesn't matter if it is healthy or not, although the beers and french fries are sounding pretty good right now. :bigsmile:
  • MotivatedQuitta86
    Options
    OK.....I was wondering because I really want to eat some fish today!!! I just wanted to know if it is a good food choice for me.I have not been having a appetite at all but for some reason fish is what I am craving
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Yes fish is very healthy for you. Choose salmon, talapia, tuna.
    I would stay away from catfish because thay are full of fat.
    Serving Size
    1 fillet (87.0 g) 3 oz (85.0 g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 199
    Calories from Fat 104
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 11.6g 18%
    Saturated Fat 2.9g 14%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.9g
    Monounsaturated Fat 4.9g
    Cholesterol 70mg 23%
    Sodium 244mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrates 7.0g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2%
    Protein 15.7g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 7%
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    sorry I double posted
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options
    Fish is really good for you, especially when you're dieting! Although, yes - do make sure that it's not fried. Do stay away from catfish, they're much more fattening. I love baking salmon or tilapia with garlic, herbs, and lemon juice. :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I heard its only good for you if you

catch it
    clean it and
    cook it all by yourself.....

you have to wade out into the raging river and get the good ones that are way way out there

all that and you burn the calories from it and then you can enjoy some lemonade

makes for a fun day all around
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Fish is lovely. I had some delicious salmon on Sunday. Balsamic glazed and coated in cashew crumbs!!!

And yes...I'd say if it's not fried, coated in a ton of breading, smothered with tartar sauce or mixed with a gob of mayo.....it's fairly healthy!! :wink: :tongue:

Though it is SOOOO good those ways!!! :love: :love: :love: :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    fish is great for you! Just no breading or deep fry. One of my favorites is halibut, I put a big piece (enough for the whole family) into a baking dish, add about 1/2 of water, salt pepper and cover with plastic wrap and tin foil and bake. Then I top it with a little mustard, vinegar and honey mixture or lemon.....lots of lemon.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It is very good. No doubt about it. Eat more fish than chicken if you can. Its got many benefits!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    just an FYI tilapia was the focus of a study recently that found it in particular had very high levels of un healthy omega fats (there are both good and bad ones) I think the study compared the damage of eating it to being close to a cheese burger. EEK :cry: salmon is great though
    here is the study

http://www.newsmax.com/health/tilapia_dangerous_acids/2008/07/08/110856.html
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options
    just an FYI tilapia was the focus of a study recently that found it in particular had very high levels of un healthy omega fats (there are both good and bad ones) I think the study compared the damage of eating it to being close to a cheese burger. EEK :cry: salmon is great though
    here is the study

http://www.newsmax.com/health/tilapia_dangerous_acids/2008/07/08/110856.html

Omg NOOO!!!! :sad: I love Tilapia! Ughhh. :grumble:
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    plus certain wild-caught fish have to be eaten in moderation due to mercury build up. Then there are reports of farm-raised fish being unhealthy due to pollution, over-population, and poor diet.

i guess, as with all foods, moderation is key.