Body Pump?

Options
Hiya, I've just started doing body pump classes at the gym. It's basically like a speed weight training session for toning up. I use weights of 5kg and it involves multiple reps using various parts of the arms, plus lunges and using weights while doing floor exercises too for an hour. I know it's a relatively new type of class and so it's not on the exercise database and I'm at a loss of exacly how to add it to my exercise list! I wouldn't call it an aerobic exercise, but it's not exactly just weight training either! All I know is that I come out of there with jelly arms and legs in a sweat and am in pain for days LOL!

Any suggestions on how to add it to my list?!

Thanks!! ;)

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump regularly and sadly it is just weight training for MFP logging purposes, there's not enough of an aerobic element to claim those extra calories from circuit training and the like!!
  • Suzydafloozy
    Options
    Oh pants! Thanks for the reply, I'm off there shortly so maybe I should count reps? LOL!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh pants! Thanks for the reply, I'm off there shortly so maybe I should count reps? LOL!
    Don't forget you're building muscle which is metabolically active and burns calories even when you're not exercising. Plus you won't lose as much muscle while you diet and avoid getting "skinny fat" and, of course, you'll look super hot and toned! A healthy body isn't all about calories :flowerforyou:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you do it as reps then Bodypump website says:
    - Perform 70-100 repetitions per body part totaling up to 800 repetitions in a single workout.
    - 560 Average Burn (I log it at 450 unless you get a HRM, best to underestimate than over...) x
  • Suzydafloozy
    Options
    Thanks Cal!

And thanks Berry! I'm doing lots of cardio stuff too for the calories bit... now if I could just stop eating so many calories, it'd be a lot easier! LOL!
  • ooshlet
    ooshlet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i log body pump as strength training under cardiovascular exercise. it comes up at about 180 cals for an hour.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I find I sweat as much as doing a Jillian Micheals DVD, if not more, so I have always put it as 'circuit training general', I put most of my dvd's as this as they usually involve weights and intervals etc!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Pump has a significant cardio element - if you are using decent enough weights and pushing yourself then you should be able to get your heart rate right up in the squats and back tracks especially. I burn in the region of 350 - 550 cals per hour depending on release/mix. Why don't you just add it under cardio exercise (assuming you have HRM to measure of course!) It is much easier, putting it under strength training would be such a faff lol!
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I really want to try body pump and I'd like to tone up a bit more. You have to be a member at my local gym to do it though which is a bit of a financial investment considering I might not even like it!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The Body Pump class I go to lasts a little more than an hour. I burn 500-600 calories according to HRM. My HR gets way up there!
  • continue29
    Options
    Go body Pump! - love it

I enter mine as cardio.. i have a HRM & a 60 min class burns between 350-450 for me :)
  • Suzydafloozy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! My limbs aren't quite so jellyfied from pump this week, hopefully that means less pain this weekend! LOL! I think I'll assume about 350 calories to start as I could then build as my weights get higher!

I'm new to MFP - can someone tell me, what is HRM?!!

Awe Emily that's pants! I am a member at my local gym so I get classes included, but non-members can attend too if they book and pay! I am enjoying pump - even with the pain lol - maybe if you check your gym class schedule you'll find a range of things you can do there to make the cost worthwhile even if you don't like pump?
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree that Body Pump isn't cardio! My heart rate is pounding, I created my own line in the exercises for it and use 500 as my average but I never eat all 500 calories b/c I know that's an estimate. I LOVE Body Pump! :)
  • BerryH
    Options
    I'm new to MFP - can someone tell me, what is HRM?!!
    Heart rate monitor. Some people find MFP's estimates are wrong for them and an HRM gives more accurate results. However, even that is just an estimate, there is no direct, consistent correlation between heart rate and calories burned. HRMs also give a false reading during resistance training such as Body Pump because the heart rate spikes while lifting, rather than a remaining at a steady or less rapidly varying level as happens during most aerobic exercise.

MFP's estimates correlate with other methods for me, so I'm happy to use them.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    HRM - heart rate monitor. I've used mine a few times to measure my burn in Pump, and its about 350-450 per hour.

BUT

there will be huge variations depending on your own stats, weight lifted, effort expended etc.

PS Are you changing the weights you lift for each different exercise? Big muscles (squats, lunges) should be your heaviest weights, but you shouldn't be able to use the same weight for biceps and triceps work.
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello i do body pump 3x a week, my heart rate monitor usually burns around the 300 cals. i tried to log as body pump.no success so now i just put it down as the exercise bike,
  • Suzydafloozy
    Options
    Oh Duh! I should've guessed that shouldn't I? In my defence, I need lunch! LOL!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good - but cheapish - HRM then please? I'll see how I go but it sounds like I would be better off using one for my zumba and aerobics classes.

Hi Melanie, yes we are changing weights depending on the exercise. Our instructor seems slightly sadistic lol, but she's good at keeping us on track with weights/positioning etc!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hello i do body pump 3x a week, my heart rate monitor usually burns around the 300 cals. i tried to log as body pump.no success so now i just put it down as the exercise bike,

Hey Quaters - I add all my own custom exercises manually, I do all the Les Mills classes and none of them seem to exist in the MFP list so I have entered them myself, and then update cals/time each time. Hope that helps!!