Pinky (hand) numbness while running

Options
So I've been having numbness on the tip of my right hand pinky while running. Only the pinky, no where else. I've been running on the treadmill so it's not because I'm running in the cold. It started doing this a little over a week ago. It takes a couple of hours for the feeling to come back, and it's getting really annoying. Can someone give me a reason why this is happening? Thanks!

Replies

• parteegirl01
    Options
    you should really go to your doc and get checked out. It could be a disk in your neck putting pressure on nerves. Or it could be something worse, or nothing at all. It's worth getting it checked out.
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Are you clenching your fists or holding them on a specific position? If so you might be pinching your nerve. Be sure to stretch fully after a short warmup. How long is your pinky numb? Does it stop shortly after running? Does it hurt?
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    parteegirl01 is exactly right. In my previous life I worked for a Chiropractor and one of the best things I learned was caring for my neck/spine. I have this problem quite often due to an accident that caused 2 bulging disks in my neck. It always affects my ring finger and pinky. After a compression type work out like running or aerobics or an upper body workout utilizing neck, traps, arms, etc I would have this problem and know to pay special attention to my neck so it doesn't get worse.
    Try some gentle neck and spine stretches and be sure to warm up/cool down. If it persists, definately check with your doctor or find a good chiropractor - that is my choice since they specialize in spinal care.
  • LRandolph0628
    LRandolph0628 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what was happening to me, so I asked the trainer at the Y. She said lots of people experience it. She suggested exercising with your hands in light fists with your thumbs up, kinda like your giving someone a thumbs up and keeping your arms bent. So I tried it, it works for me. When it was time for my check-up, I asked my doctor why, she said for a lot of people it's either too much sodium or circulation problems. Check with your doctor to see what's up.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    Thanks! I will try more stretching and see if that helps. If it doesn't I guess I will have to go to the doctors. @ ninik2003 The numbness usually stays around for an hour or so after running. It doesn't hurt. Also not clentching my fist
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what was happening to me, so I asked the trainer at the Y. She said lots of people experience it. She suggested exercising with your hands in light fists with your thumbs up, kinda like your giving someone a thumbs up and keeping your arms bent. So I tried it, it works for me. When it was time for my check-up, I asked my doctor why, she said for a lot of people it's either too much sodium or circulation problems. Check with your doctor to see what's up.

THIS! I run like the Fonz (its hilarious watching me run...) and I've stopped getting numb hands. Win.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what is happening to cause it, or why it's happening?

I often get that pins and needles feeling in my hands, but it's only during REALLY high exertion. I always assumed it was a blood flow issue.