traveling with toddlers any suggestions??

Options
hmmmm
hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
Meant to post this in another section sorry

Replies

• hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Meant to post this in another section sorry
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how your girls do with drawing and such but. My son loves the white boards. There is no mess of color crayons all over the car and paper, it can be erased and restarted over again. Crayola has some new things now if you are worried about it getting on the seats. But that is something that we have enjoyed.

Books to look at or if you can get them interested books on tape and cd are fun. It might pull their attention from sitting in the car and into another world. We have been listening to the "Magic Treehouse series" but there are many out there.

Take some of their favorite toys and have a pillow and blanket on hand. My kids always fell asleep on long road trips.

Good luck with your trip.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My son's thing is the DVD player I can keep him appeased, either way it's never full proof.

good luck!
  • Shelladam
    Options
    For the past 18mths myy husband and I have been on a work/travel holiday with our son who is now nearly 3 (Oz/Asia/UK/Europe). He's been to about 14 different countries. Best tips I can give are
    1. have the favourite toy/blanket close at hand
    2. containers of snacks are invaluable (dried apricots, sultanas, biscuits)
    3. colouring book and pencil case go everywhere with us
    4. own toddler sized cutlery is essential
    5. any toys you can find that pull apart and go back together (leggo blocks, small puzzles, cars that open and shut) He's happy as long as you can destroy something and put it back together. Lift flap/pop up books are also good.
    6. always carry a change of clothes and nappy - you don't want to hear about my 4hr flight home from Morocco with a child who refuses to use the "ucky" aeroplane toilet :noway:

All I can say is it depends on your child. Good luck and when all else fails try smiling ...it stops you from choking them:devil:
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Play doe got us through an 8 hour flight to orlando with a 2 year old and 1 yr old. But next year when we go ipod the new ones that you can put tv progs on my daughter loves mickey mouse clubhouse I often use this when I go to the hairdressers as she will sit with headphones and watch her favorite episodes on daddys ipod nano.

We also bought trunki for entertainment in the airport soooo sucessfull with our oldest daughter that we are buying a second for our youngest for when we go next year this one will be frieda trunki a cow version it even has udders on the back and a bell on the nose. (trunki is a ride on suitcase for toddlers)

Buy 1 new toy to discover and play with could buy some time.

Most importantly have fun.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    every summer (and sometimes two to three times a year) we make the 16 hour treck from my parents to my inlaws house. i have three kids and our first trip was when my oldest was a month old. the dvd players are a life savor, but as someone else pointed out, nothing is fool proof. the aquadoodle stuff comes in travel sizes now. i love those because it's just water and the pads are reusable. little trinket toys from the dollar store to disperse intermittently throughout the trip are good too. glow sticks for at night, those types of things. you've received a lot of good advice so far. good luck!
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    i took my best friends 2 year old daughter with me on an 8 1/2 hour roadtrip to san fran.
    and she slept....and we colored and read books..and we learned our colors with the cars
    and we "spoted" trucks....and sang sons....but we left at lik 6am and she slept almost the whole way there so i didnt have too much entertaining to do lol
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    When I visit my parents up north (5 hours away) I always use my portable dvd player and I bring snacks... It's just me and the girls when we go, so I don't have any extra hands to help me with dropped crayons etc..
    It keeps them quiet and happy.
    Good luck!