Question for dog owners with cats.

Options

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Good on you for adopting. Both my dogs are rescue dogs, Dave is 8 and Lilly is 2. We had them first, and then we took on 5 kittens to foster for the shelter, they were very sick and I injected them all everyday with antibiotics and we had them for 6 months til they were strong enough. They all were terrified of me and my partner, but they weren't scared of the dogs at all for some reason and the dogs adored them. All but 1 of them are gone now to new homes, and the one we kept is practically a dog himself, he doesn't meow he just kind of makes a weird sound like MAM? MA? MA? lol.

Also he plays fetch like a dog :) Here's a video I made of Bandit playing fetch https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150396675037605&set=vb.753832604&type=2&theater

I'd recommend going to your local pound or shelter and asking them there if they have any dogs that get on well with cats, I'm sure they would know

Good luck xx
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It would depend on both of the dog and your cats and their manner.

The best thing I can think of is take the animal home for a few days and see how they react to being around each other. If they get along then great if not then keep trying and see if you can find the right "fit".
  • bells4her
    Options
    Most shelters are more than happy to do a "Cat test" with the dog you are thinking about adopting. I know my local SPCA does.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    my one cat (Lucky) HATES my dog. He hates any dog and cat actually because he was the only pet for like 7 years. Then we got another cat (Duncan) who is fine with other cats and dogs and then came my dog (Ali) two years ago who KNOWS to stay away from Lucky and likes to play with Duncan. I got her at 5 months though so it took a little bit for her to get warmed up to Duncan but she always knew to stay far from Lucky. Just rescue a dog that has experiences with cats and you should be fine. :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who fosters animals, but also has "furrever" friends who live with her permanently. Any time she introduces a new animal, she crates in and places it in a common room, like the living room. The permanent residents can walk around the cage and get used to the smell of the new visitor. Then, when the permanent residents are outside, or closed in another room, let the new visitor out to smell things. Do this for about 3 weeks. Then, let them meet face to face, one at a time. Works like a charm every time.

SO unnecessary.

Yeah, if you don't care if your cats get killed, it is unnecessary.

Sorry, I have also always had dogs and cats, plus have fostered dogs for 8 years. Better safe than sorry. I'd rather none of my animals get injured or killed by another animal, personally.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I got a german shephard as a puppy, he grew up with cats. One day he began to play too rough, didn't know his own strength, he killed my flame point siamese without warning! And on a Holiday weekend, such a huge vet bill and so sad. As he got older his prey drive increased and he would give chase to neighborhood cats as well as my other cats. At this point we have had him eight years, and what an exhausting dance to put him out, let cats in, let him in, put cats out, etc. Good luck and always be aware of his body language when he's around kitty!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It won't be pretty at first and you think its not going to work out. But..................after a while things settle down. Hopefully.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have two cats and a dog, all rescues. I say check with the shelter or rescue group to see if they have tested the dog for how they behave around other animals, especially cats, and I would avoid greyhounds or any other dog that is known to have a predatory instinct, however, there are always exceptions! Good luck!
  • jsabol21
    Options
    Hey-

This might be true with some small breeds, but not with my Jack Russell Terrier, or I would guess most other Terriers. I have good control over him in many situations, but I cannot control his cat-attacking drive! That said, he FINALLY gets along with my mom's cat who ignores him. Usually, a shelter will let you test run a dog to see if they'll get along with your cats. If you get a puppy, it will grow up knowing the cats are part or the pack. I do not have indoor cats. I would not recommend a terrier with indoor cats unless you can test them.

That said, my mom has a giant German Shepherd and he is just fine with the cats. I'd work towards being able to test drive your shelter adoption with your other animals.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I had dogs and then added cats to the household and everyone gets along. There will be some adjusting when a new furrie joins the family, I think when they are young then adapting will help. I have a cat who just loves my dog and I think he thinks he is a dog but then my son did name him Wolf.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Be cautious when you first introduce them. Most dogs will learn to respect the kitties and even become friends (although you may have an upset kitty in the meantime who pees on your bed a couple of times), but some, like my mom's dog, have a really strong instinct to kill cats. We found that out the hard way when my mom brought her dog to visit me (I have two dogs in the house and they are fine with my kitty), and we ended up with an almost dead cat... she survived, thank goodness, but I will NEVER allow my mom's dog in my house again. My pups, on the other hand, could care less about chasing the cat. And my previous dog and the kitty used to play fight and snuggle all the time. You just never know.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I have an Elkhound (along the same lines of Huskies) I had a maine coon cat for 10yrs without any other animals, then I went to the shelter got my dog at 6mos old.. .My cat slapped my Elk once to let him know he was the king of the house that was it.. once in a while 7yrs later my dog will jump at my Maine Coon Cat and he will turn give him a look like try it buddy.. of course my dog just turns and walks away.
  • angijunbug
    Options
    We had 2 cats first & then adopted a beagle pup from the shelter. They did great together & actually the cats are the "pack leaders" when it comes to the animal dominance in the house. It's quite funny to watch! Then we acquired another dog & she is a fox hound/beagle mix. So now we are up to 2 & 2. I will say that we do have a separate room that the cats can hide out in when they feel they have to. It has all their stuff (litter boxes, food bowls, water bowls, their beds, window seat) in that room as well. Plus the dogs have their own kennel to hide away & nap in too. Best of luck to you!!!
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I have three cats (Magnus, Seamus, and Blink) and one big dog (Fable). Fable is some kind of mutt maybe boxer/shepherd, but he is very large and tall (about 85 lbs). All my animals were adopted or rescued, the cats came first and then we found Fable when he was about 4 months old. The cats were definitely freaked out at first, they would either hiss at him or swat at him to let him know that he needed to get out of their space. Fable was just curious about them, and he's always been very gentle with them. Now it's a little over a year later and they all love each other, they sleep together, play together, even drink water out of the same bowl together. If you train your dog right, the cats will eventually realize the dog isn't a threat and they'll all get along. Good luck!
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    My dog passed away a couple of years ago, but when I adopted her from our local shelter I already had 4 adult cats with 5 kittens (until the kittens were re-homed), a bunny and several guineapigs. I felt as though I was living in an ark. My dog was a terrier cross-breed that looked just like this one: http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/manchesterterriers/manchesterterrier_huntoon.jpg

She had a very calm temperament and was very good with cats. She was good with all my animals and they all used to be laying asleep in front of the fireplace whenever it was cold. Very sweet.

A friend at work had a dog and a cat who got on well. She then adopted a second dog but it and the cat still don't get on.

In my experience a dogs breed and/or size do not always play a part in whether or not they are good with cats. If you adopt a dog from a shelter they always check whether or not they are good with cats.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    1) Get a dog that has been properly socialized
    2) If you can't bring the dog to your house to see how they interact before you adopt, bring the cats to the shelter once you've picked out a few that may work.
    3) walks and kayaking are great but low on the exercise scale for a dog, don't get a hunting or herding dog as they will need way more stimulation than that (which if they don't get often leads to destructive behavior).
    4) Get an adult dog so that you already know what kind of temperament you are getting yourself into. Puppies are cute, but there are many amazing dogs with established personalities and traits that make them better for going into a new household.
    5) Talk to the shelter people about your needs! They know the dogs really well and will make recommendations based on that.
    6) Do not rush the decision! If you see a dog that you absolutely love, remember it's like a shoppers high! Make sure it meets all your criteria first. Take the time to explore all your options so you really can pick the best fit for your home.

Best of luck!
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I brought a dog into the house and slowly introduced her to my two cats. I set up a baby gate so the cats could escape down the hall without the dog following. I introduced each of them to the dog with the safety of the baby gate between them. Sure, they hissed and growled at each other, but they were able to see each other and get familiar. After a short period of time, they were able to coexist without the dog trying to chase them down. one cat played with her and the other cat just kind of ignored her.

it just takes patience on the owner's part, but in the end it will all work itself out.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that we do have a fenced in yard that we can use to play with the dog also. The only exercise won't be walking. We can easily handle playtime.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Currently I have a beagle, boxer, and 2 cats. And everyone gets along okay.

However, we started with cat #1 and then beagle. Then boxer. Then cat #2.

We temporarily housed an injured cat, and everyone freaked out.

So it can go smoothly, or sometimes everyone can lose it. I haven't found a method to the madness yet.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    One word - training! I have dogs, cats and even a rabbit that all get along. Once in a while someone gets uppitty and starts chasing someone around, but it seems like they're having fun! If it goes too far, a solid swat on the nose with a bit of claw extended seems to stop the roughness and remind the big bear that the little ones really rule this roost!

I've brought home numerous shelter cats, and have also introduced very large puppies to the mix and if you can't control a big dog with your voice, chaos ensues. Good training is key, you have to teach the dog that chasing the cats is not acceptable, the same way you train them not to jump on people, etc - lots of praise and treats!

When bringing home any animal, behaviorists will tell you to introduce them slowly, one at a time. I use the behind closed door trick - keep the new animal in a room with the door closed for the first day or two - the other animals in the house will sniff around and get used to their smell before they meet. Then bring them into the room one at a time and guage the reactions. Sometimes you have to scale back the interaction to a few minutes at a time until they get comfortable. In my house now, they all pretty much ignore each other which is the ultimate peaceful goal!

I should add that any trouble I've had has been with the cats getting along without getting all territorial and spraying - I found that one male and one female seems to be the best combination for us - too many males and you end up with a pissing contest, literally!