To those who know about protein/shakes

Options
please share your wealth of knowledge with me!

i would like to buy a product that i could use as a meal replacement that tastes good, and is good for me. i know very little about this subject and really have no idea where to start. i thought asking here would be a better start than asking the guy at gnc a million questions. i am also on a tight budget so more for my money counts :)

also open to any yummy recipes you want to share (though i dont have a blender)

Replies

• KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    nobody?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    start by searching past posts on the topic -- there have been a lot of conversations!
  • schmorla
    schmorla Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't use them as a meal replacement.
  • Applelina
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michael's vanilla whey protein mix (about $10 at Wal-Mart). You can mix it with either water, skim milk, almond milk and add fruit. A trainer told me to mix about 6 oz of skim milk with a one scoop of protein powder, one tbsp peanut butter and a 1/4 cup of oats ( I like steel cuts best because the others get mushy). It tastes just like a butterfinger. It seems little high in calories but there are a lot of recipes on this site that I've found already. Or just add some frozen strawberries or mixed fruit and blend and it comes out like a shake. Keeps me full until lunch or if I have one at lunch until dinner. Sometimes I'll drink one for breakfast and one for lunch and have a good dinner.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    They aren't really made for meal replacement.. More a supplement to your existing food intake if you can't get all the protein in that you need. All though, I have used mine as a meal replacement when my subbing calls come last minute and i don't have time to make anything.. but granted that has been like 1 or 2 times.. not an everyday thing.

The protein powder I use is by Gaspari Nutrition and is called Myofusion. Comes in a variety of flavors, mixes easily and tastes good. I get a 2 pound tub at my gym for 25 dollars.. and I think the 5 pound tub is closer to 50.
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    Six star pro nutrition has a really nice protein mix that has amino acids and vitamins that your body needs after a tough workout. I love it! I have had more energy and felt better since I started using it.
  • cinasana
    Options
    HI there!

I have tried just about every meal replacement shake/protein shake known to womankind because I am an "on-the-go" eater.

I would highly recommend that you do a little of your own research into "Shakeology" meal replacement shakes. I have been drinking Shakeology for over a year and would never go back to anything else because it really IS difficult to find a shake low in calories, but high in the nutrients that you do need. In fact many people find that they will gain weight on meal replacement shakes because they are so high in fat, sugar and overall calories. The Choloate flavor is BY FAR the best and I have tried them all!

Here's a brief description about Shakeology:

Shakeology is a premium health shake that provides you with essential nutrients with minimal calories. Shakeology includes digestive enzymes, prebiotics, antioxidants and other vital essentials. One Shakeology shake is equal to an entire bowl of fruits and vegetables. The nutrients in Shakeology help your body to shed fat that is currently stored in your body. Shakeology flavors include chocolate and greenberry. You can also mix your favorite fruits and other products with Shakeology for added flavor.

P.s. Im not a rep for BeachBody or Shakeology at all. I just love it!

Hope that helps but of course doing a Google for "healthy meal replacement shakes" is always a good idea too.

Jenny xo
  • KingdomHeiress5
    KingdomHeiress5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress it has 25g of protein and 1g of sugar. It comes in lots of flavors and you can get it from Walmart. It comes in a pretty large container and costs about 16 dollars or so.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't use them as a meal replacement.

This is true if it's just a protein/whey supplement shake.

However, there are lots of products out there that have a variety of other things in them as well and can be suitable meal replacements.

Your best be though is to use a whey isolate and mix it with various things... yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, etc to get a good meal replacement.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    thank you for your responses.

i would not be drinking a shake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. i might do one for breakfast or lunch. i need somehthing that will keep me feeling full.
  • fit4leyef
    Options
    I joined the 90 Day Challenge and that's what their kits are centered around and it tastes AWESOME - especially with frozen fruit. That's what got me in shape - my profile picture is my 90 Day results using the Core kit. Message me if you want more info?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress it has 25g of protein and 1g of sugar. It comes in lots of flavors and you can get it from Walmart. It comes in a pretty large container and costs about 16 dollars or so.

I like Body Fortress as well. I don't use it as a meal replacement, but as a quick recovery drink after a hard workout.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    HI there!

I have tried just about every meal replacement shake/protein shake known to womankind because I am an "on-the-go" eater.

I would highly recommend that you do a little of your own research into "Shakeology" meal replacement shakes. I have been drinking Shakeology for over a year and would never go back to anything else because it really IS difficult to find a shake low in calories, but high in the nutrients that you do need. In fact many people find that they will gain weight on meal replacement shakes because they are so high in fat, sugar and overall calories. The Choloate flavor is BY FAR the best and I have tried them all!

Here's a brief description about Shakeology:

Shakeology is a premium health shake that provides you with essential nutrients with minimal calories. Shakeology includes digestive enzymes, prebiotics, antioxidants and other vital essentials. One Shakeology shake is equal to an entire bowl of fruits and vegetables. The nutrients in Shakeology help your body to shed fat that is currently stored in your body. Shakeology flavors include chocolate and greenberry. You can also mix your favorite fruits and other products with Shakeology for added flavor.

P.s. Im not a rep for BeachBody or Shakeology at all. I just love it!

Hope that helps but of course doing a Google for "healthy meal replacement shakes" is always a good idea too.

Jenny xo

I'm going to try to steer clear of the shakeology debate, but people don't put on weight because their meal replacement shakes are high in cals. They put on weight because their meal replacement shake doesn't fit into their daily macros. Replacing a 200cal meal with a 300cal shake without adjusting the rest of your diet won't work.

As with all things, if it fits into your macros you'll be fine (assuming no extenuation circumstances/health issues).
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    It's really a matter of personal taste, I've tried so many that people swore were great and tasted like slime to me:) When money is tight I've bought the Jillian Michaels and liked it. I like Jay Robb's protein and I'd say my favorite is from Optimum Nutrition. Alot of people like the vanilla, but I prefer chocolate with a little peanut butter added in. You can google "protein shake" recipes and find TONS of them. So much of it is trial and error. Good luck with it.
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert by any means, but i am also an eat on the go person in the mornings. i mix 1 cup frozen mango(you can use any fruit really), 1 handful of spinach (you can't taste it in the smoothie), 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1/2 cup water, and 1 scoop whey protein in a blender. that's my breakfast on a lot of days, and it's totally great as a meal replacement.

edited to add: just re-read that you don't have a blender. you can probably get one really cheap at a thrift store or on craigslist.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    It's really a matter of personal taste, I've tried so many that people swore were great and tasted like slime to me:) When money is tight I've bought the Jillian Michaels and liked it. I like Jay Robb's protein and I'd say my favorite is from Optimum Nutrition. Alot of people like the vanilla, but I prefer chocolate with a little peanut butter added in. You can google "protein shake" recipes and find TONS of them. So much of it is trial and error. Good luck with it.

thanks. i am finding that alot of people are saying it is trial and error.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

A little time with google (or your yellow pages) should find you places that will give or sell cheap sample sizes of various products. Much better (not to mention cost effective) to try 1 or 2 servings of a product rather than get stuck with 5lbs of something you may or may not like.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options

A little time with google (or your yellow pages) should find you places that will give or sell cheap sample sizes of various products. Much better (not to mention cost effective) to try 1 or 2 servings of a product rather than get stuck with 5lbs of something you may or may not like.

fantastic idea! i would have never thought of this, thank you :)
  • uberbebe
    Options
    Below is a surefire way to lose weight, but if your gonna use this plan you need to be working out reguarly...I dont think all these protein shakes are as effective if your not workin out. Also, do your research to tailor this for yourself.

Up to you of course...but you should get one of those bullet blenders like this one:
    http://www.buythebullet.com/index.php?google_adwords&gclid=CO2u9p_I8K0CFehgTAodlHGbrw

This makes your life even more on the go, just rinse it out as soon as you use it and its basically no maintenance.
    Get 100% whey protein from costco in the big bag, its very cost effective...you can get vanilla or chocolate or both.

In the morning, make a shake with 1 scoop protein, frozen berries and orange juice. Its very filling.

have a healthy snack of fruit / veggies / nuts

In the afternoon make a shake with 1 scoop protein, 1 cup 1% or nonfat milk, and a serving or peanut butter or a banana or more berries or if you want just use water, its easy to mix up the ingredients.

have a healthy snack of fruit / veggies / nuts

make a dinner or veggies and meat

have a piece of dark chocolate or fruit for desert.