All I want is a stupid cookie!

Options
So I'm doing this whole low carb experiment thing, and I'm on day two. About mid day, I get a craving for something sweet, and in a serious manner. So I start thinking about what I could have, I'm racking my brain for a good 10 minutes and then it comes to me... sugar free meringue cookies. I've seen them at the grocery store, and I know that they are pretty much just egg whites and sugar. But if I get the sugar free, then they are almost no carbs at all.

So I get in my car and I drive to Kroger. I looked all over that store for these cookies. They had none. That was OK though, I could wait... I thought I had seen them at the Meijer by my house. I needed to get some frozen spinach anyway. After my workout, I go to Meijer, and I scour that store too... no meringue cookies. I decided that I would make them if I couldn't find them. So I got some unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder, some splenda, and liquid egg whites because I hate the thought of using only part of the egg. I always end up just throwing out the yolk. BTW, I forgot the spinach. I get home, make my dinner and get ready to make the cookies. I pick up the carton of egg whites, and right on the side of the package, it says, "this product will not whip up and is not recommended for meringues". :explode: I guess it's just not in the cards for me today to have a stupid cookie.

Replies

• FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    when i'm craving something sweet i always go for a protein shake...i use Jay Rob Protein Powder (2 carbs) in chocolate and Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk (3 carbs)... it fits in with a low carb lifestyle...if you blend it with ice, you'll swear you're drinking a milkshake!!!!...both of those can be found at your health food store! :drinker:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ditto - I have a chocolate protein powder w/ unsweetened choc almond milk shake. It's ridiculous how satisfying it is to a sweet tooth!!
  • NickelPlated
    Options
    I am a slave to chocolate (as most women are).
    Swiss Miss makes diet cocoa mix packets. They are 25 calories per packet. BINGO! Chocolate craving solved.

I keep two boxes of these stashed in my desk at work. For the low cal mix with hot water, not hot milk.
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    Aww... I hate when I can't get to something I'm craving. I used to shop at Kroger when I lived in Atlanta and they usually stock up pretty well, I'm surprised they didn't have something you saw there before. My next stop would have been the health food store or Whole foods, they always have yummy cookies for all diet types....

I'm sorry you couldn't find your cookie....:flowerforyou:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Aww... I hate when I can't get to something I'm craving. I used to shop at Kroger when I lived in Atlanta and they usually stock up pretty well, I'm surprised they didn't have something you saw there before. My next stop would have been the health food store or Whole foods, they always have yummy cookies for all diet types....

I'm sorry you couldn't find your cookie....:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the sympathy - lol. I'm going to try Trader Joe's and Whole Foods tomorrow at lunch. I will have this cookie damn it! It's funny... my sweet craving is totally gone, but this is personal now! :laugh:

Thanks everyone else for you suggestions... I might give that hot chocolate a try. My mom used to make it on the stove with cocoa powder (which I now happen to have) and sugar (but I can use splenda, which I also now happen to have), and it was the best I ever had. It's never to late to relive your childhood, right?
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    My mom's been on low-carb for a while due to health reasons and one of her favorite snacks for a sweet craving is to mix cream cheese and/our whipping cream mixed with splenda and a little mace (it's a spice). She says it tastes just like cheesecake.

She also mixes cocoa, whipping cream and splenda or just whipping cream and strawberries. Like a lot of low-carb, it's a little high in fat, but it works for her!
  • nzfoxy
    nzfoxy Posts: 29
    Options
    I can second the Swiss Miss 25 cal hot cocoa drinks, I have one every night after dinner which is when I get my sweet craving and it fixes it (which still amazes me as I used to eat cake/cookies after dinner!) :blushing:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    ..... So I got some unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder, some splenda, and liquid egg whites because I hate the thought of using only part of the egg. I always end up just throwing out the yolk.

This won't help you re your cookie situation, BUT, it'll help you in the wallet if you just but a doz eggs and throw out the yolks. It's SO much cheaper that way.

G'luck:flowerforyou: