How do I figure what my Carb-Fat-Protein Ratio should be?

Options
I'm new and clueless what these numbers should be. I've just went with whatever MFP figured it to be, then I've seen post where some disagree with MFP's figures. So anyone care to help me out? Thanks

Replies

• RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

This is a great resource to learn about proper nutrition :D
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    MFP default level are a little low, generally. People often consider it a minimum. What works for you will depend on...well..you.

I set my protein levels higher because I lift weights and I'm trying to maintain as much muscle while losing fat.

For awhile I ate 60%carbs, and 20% each of fats and proteins and it worked out ok for weight loss for me. Now I eat probably closer to 40% carbs, 35% proteins and 25% fats, not that I record that much these days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm new and clueless what these numbers should be. I've just went with whatever MFP figured it to be, then I've seen post where some disagree with MFP's figures. So anyone care to help me out? Thanks

It's been suggested that your protein should be from .75 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. so first you must estimate your body fat % to get that.
    Then carbs and fat probably depends on if you have an issue with carbs. If you seem to get strong sugar highs and deep lows after eating a bagel or high carb meal, you body may be over reacting, so make carbs just slightly above protein. Fat for the rest.

Problem here is MFP does it by percentage, so you got to do a bit of math. Or adjust the protein percentage until you see the protein grams where you want them. Then adjust the other two.

Many do agree MFP is low on protein.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help :)
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been using 35% protein, 35% carb, 30% fat. I've got better results from this than what MFP originally set it at.
  • 0.8g per pound of bodyweight, is whats recommended by RDA, if your going to be active then I would up the number to 1g per pound all the way up to 2.7g per pound(only if your going to be super active). For the ratio, I generally keep fats low on days where carbs are high, usually a ration of 20fats/40 carbs/40 protein works good enough for me.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There's a calculation which is based on LBM (Lean Body Mass) that works out what amounts you should have based on the macronutrient ratio you choose.

Basically from that you have to work out how many calories you need per day - there are online calculators that do this.
    Normally it will be broken down to the calories you need in order to live and breathe etc, and then those that you require to move about during the day. eg mine is 1661 "Basal" which is calculated based on height, weight and age. Then you enter your type of daily activity excluding exercise eg sedentary etc. - mine is 939 which together means in order to live and move through the day I have a daily requirement of circa 2600 calories per day.

In order to lose weight properly, you really shouldn't cut more than 500 calories from your daily requirement, so in this instance I would be looking to eat 2100 calories.

Now, from here you need to make a choice on the amount of protein and the percentage of fat (good fat that is, stay away from bad fats as far as possible) you think you should be on.

It can be anywhere between .75 and 1.5 grams of protein for every lb of LBM - My LBM is around 160lbs and I went for 1.5 which means I aim to take in 240g of protein per day.

Protein converts to Calories by multiplying it by 4 - so 240g of protein is 960 calories.
    Fat is usually between 20 and 30% of your daily requirement so I aim for 25% which is 25% of 2100 calories = 525.
    To work out how many grams this is, divide it by 9 which is 58g

The remainder of our calories should be carbs.This is 2100-960-525 which is 615.
    To work out the grams we divide by 4 which is 154g

This is personal however, and I have a higher amount of protein because I have found it helps me to bulk (Incidentally I'm not on 2100 calories, as I'm bulking I'm on over 3100 and so my amounts vary appropriately).

If you are an average person aiming to lose weight I would suggest 1g of protein for every lb of LBM you have.

So to start you will need to work out your body fat %age and subtract this from your total weight.

Then work work out protein as 1g per lb. Multiply it by 4 to work out the calories.
    take 25% of your calories as fat and divide that number by 9 to get the grams.
    Then take the remainder of your calories as carbs and divide that by 4 to get the grams.

It sounds complicated at first but is actually fairly straight forward.

Since we have allocated 960 calories to protein and 525 to fat, this leaves 615 to be
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It can be anywhere between .75 and 1.5 grams of protein for every lb of LBM - My LBM is around 160lbs and I went for 1.5 which means I aim to take in 240g of protein per day.

Fat is usually between 20 and 30% of your daily requirement so I aim for 25% which is 25% of 2100 calories = 525.

Great explanation overall.

To simplify, you can actually go into MFP Goals - Change Goals - Manual, at that point of protein grams being calculated you did above.
    On that page enter the Calorie goal, and then adjust the Protein % until the grams show what you came up with.
    Then you can adjust Fat to the % you mention.
    Then let Carbs sit where they may. Perhaps adjust fiber or other items.

And then you have to remember to adjust manually I think. If you keep it in MFP's hands, it would do so as you enter new weight. but I've not noticed that when manual is used.