Something I think everyone should try...

Options
I see so many post on here with people crying or getting discouraged be cause they've gained a couple of lbs.

What many people don't know is that its best to NOT weigh yourself everysingle day. Keep in mind that your weight does fluctuate 2-3 lbs daily and that when you do weigh yourself its best to do it at the same time as you did the day before and so on.

Instead try weighing your self every 2 weeks (or even a week if you're 'THAT' antsy).

Also, invest in a tape measure as well as a skin caliper. Recording these as well with your weight will give you more accurate results... You never know that 2 lbs you just gained could be 4 lbs of muscle gain with a 2 lb fat loss which is a great thing.

Hope this helps :D

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this has been one of those 'said and done' topics, but people still insist on weighing daily (which is honestly, counter-productive), or wallow in the misery of the numbers that pop up on the scale.....

Ive had a steady maintain for the last few weeks, and it doesnt bother me one bit... My clothes show that although I maybe maintaining on the scale, have more room....

People need to retrain their way of thinking and not get so hung up on scale numbers... and not get so bent out of shape if 'they only lost .5lb.... ***sigh... its just getting old.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Its really upsetting the point of this site is to help motivate people.
    Which is what I am trying to do... I will copy and post my post several times if I have to
    Even if only 3 people read and understand well then thats 3 more people that will be
    gaining knowledge of what to do :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I will copy and post my post several times if I have to
    Even if only 3 people read and understand well then thats 3 more people that will be
    gaining knowledge of what to do :)

It could be construed as spamming the boards, so dont go too crazy....
  • tahoefoos
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I think it is a good reminder for someone like me who only reads posts every week or so. :smile:
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Glad I could help <3
  • fitnoflab
    fitnoflab Posts: 100
    Options
    I saw that you posted your message about the scale a couple of times. Good for you! Important crusade. I think years of yo yo dieting and expecting unrealistic results have made people a slave to the scale. This site, if used right, will shift that mentality. I used to be obsessed with the scale and I still ended up fat. Hopefully people will read other MFP member's experiences and take to heart sound advice, like the one you posted here.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Same here...
    for years and years I was obsessed with the scale weight and belived in "Miracle diets" tried em all and nothing worked. Id get discouraged.
    That's how I ended up just giving up and gaining 80lbs in 3 years!!!!

Finally I decided to get a trainer and he just helped educate me on what I was doing and why it didn't work.
    So now I see everything in a new light :) Thru this site (even though Ive only had it for 3 days) I realized that I enjoy spreading the knowledge to others in hopes of helping them reach their goals because Ive been there and know what its like!

Thank you so much for listening and giving such positive feedback to me. :D I really appreciate it.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    SO true. I used to weigh myself daily, and it was an emotional rollercoaster. I now weigh myself around 1.5-2 weeks, and I have to remind myself. Seeing the bigger differences are so fun!