Protien only for 7 days??

Options
My guy is telling me about the benefits of Protien only (and fats like cheese) for 7 days. That it will take my body from the catabolic state that it's in since I'm counting me calories to an Anabolic state and that will make my body attack the fat by confusing it. He makes it sound very scietific and correct.

Anyone ever done it? Results?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My guy is telling me about the benefits of Protien only (and fats like cheese) for 7 days. That it will take my body from the catabolic state that it's in since I'm counting me calories to an Anabolic state and that will make my body attack the fat by confusing it. He makes it sound very scietific and correct.

Your guy is incorrect.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

nonsense
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No way. the body needs some carbs.

Eat a healthy, colorful, wide variety of foods, and exercise hard. You don't need tricks.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Eat a healthy, colorful, wide variety of foods, and exercise hard. You don't need tricks.

Yep!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he needs to do some research!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't be able to poop.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a shortened version of the Atkins diet which can damage your kidneys. Be careful.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    whut.jpg?w=520
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    He makes it sound very scietific and correct.

uhhhh no.... its a great way to over work the kidneys full-throttle... they were meant to help metabolize a percentage of what you consume, but not full head-on 100%... your guy is definitely wrong.......
  • andreacord
    Options

Incorrect from what I know. I would never be able to do it because I turn into a raging b*tch if I can't have my oatmeal or toast in the morning.:noway: But if you're going to do this proceed with caution like another poster said, although personally I wouldn't do it. At the very least go talk to a nutritionist.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I am no scientist but I am gonna go with my gut on this and say no......*waits for the MFP sheriff to tell me that if I dont know or have exact proof to STFU*
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Nooooo!! I'm reading "The China Study." It's totally changing my POV on protein. Good luck! :smile:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

actually, the body can do just fine without carbs
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sounds dangerous like the Atkins diet, NOT GOOD FOR THE BODY AT ALL , eat healthy carbs, whole wheat, whole grains, fruit and veg the body needs it
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    OH FFS!!!!!!!!!! Do you people just make this *kitten* up?!

Carbs are non essential as the body can manufacture glucose via gluconeogensis.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/5/951.2.full
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    You wouldn't be able to poop.
    SO true!!!! Your body needs carbs and good fats. I am a runner and I make half of my calorie intake as protein. And the rest is carbs, good fats, fruits, and veggies.....
  • mspears1198
    mspears1198 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That sounds like Atkins to me. The body needs healthy esstenials and good carbs are a part of that balance. All that meat, eggs, and cheese gets old quick. If you're serious about long term success create a balanced plan that you can live with.:wink:
  • jasonr1442
    jasonr1442 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow.. A few opinions huh? All in the same direction! Thank you! I tell ya though what really got me is not being able to poop!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You should modify your eating so that you are consuming fewer calories while maintianing a healthy balance of nutrients. You should also be consuming foods that you enjoy, and that leave you feeling satisfied. These should be changes you are willing to live with for the rest of your life.

Don't worry about what you can do for 7 days two weeks or a month. Think about how you will feel about those changes in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years from now.

If you aren't making long term sensible changes you are destined to fail. Short strict diets are just silly