BMR and AMR

Options
Who goes by their BMR and AMR?

I calculated mine and I am quite boggled for some reason.

This is the BMR formula:
655+(4.3 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

After you do that you calculate your BMR x by how active you are:

Sedentary: BMR x 1.2
Lightly Active: BMR x 1.375
Mod. Active: BMR x 1.55
Very Active: BMR x 1.725
Extra Active: BMR x 1.9

Then from that subtract 500 calories

(By the way, I got this from a Fitness YT Guru Cassey Ho 'Blogilates)
The Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUybMyx4KBM&feature=g-u-u&context=G220bd3fFUAAAAPAAbAA

My results for BMR came out to:
2,584 (minus all the decimals!)

Take away 500 cal each day.
3500 calories a week total to lose 1 lb.

AMR:

I'm not sure why this doesn't seem right to me.
I honestly think this will not help me lose weight more, what are your thoughts?
No negative comments.

I'm just curious to know!!

Replies

• panduhburr
    panduhburr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier : http://www.fitsugar.com/page/11653

Thought it was interesting... but then it might confuse you even more..cause it confused me. I just stick with what MFP says for now since I'm still early in the game. Will eventually try new things if I can't get to 10lbs lost.

Bump.
  • MiAmorDeanna
    MiAmorDeanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier : http://www.fitsugar.com/page/11653

Thought it was interesting... but then it might confuse you even more..cause it confused me. I just stick with what MFP says for now since I'm still early in the game. Will eventually try new things if I can't get to 10lbs lost.

Bump.

I was just thinking about that. I knew I saw a post something like this. Thanks!

I know I think I may just stick with MFP says as well. I don't want to chance it, lol.
  • yennu03
    yennu03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used this www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • yennu03
    yennu03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and when I used to MANTAIN my weight (around 147-150) I would eat 1800-2000 calories a day. so that gives you an idea.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think it's close. I calculated this for myself at a maintenance calorie level and this equation gave me 1499 and MFP gives me 1460 per day. (I did not subtract 500 calories for weight loss, obvs).
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I find that people over estimated their activity level.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just go to goal on MFP and it will show you:
    Maintenance: calories burned from normal activity

Your MFP goal would then be 500 cals lower than the maintenance. So if your goal is to lose 1 lb/week and MFP gives you 1350 calories then your maintenance (AMR) is 1850 (1350+500)

the reason the other site might be different is if you chose a higher activity level to account for exercise. With MFP you ignore exercise to get your base calories, then they get added in when you log your workouts.
  • MiAmorDeanna
    MiAmorDeanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just go to goal on MFP and it will show you:
    Maintenance: calories burned from normal activity

Your MFP goal would then be 500 cals lower than the maintenance. So if your goal is to lose 1 lb/week and MFP gives you 1350 calories then your maintenance (AMR) is 1850 (1350+500)

the reason the other site might be different is if you chose a higher activity level to account for exercise. With MFP you ignore exercise to get your base calories, then they get added in when you log your workouts.

Oh wow, ok makes more sense to me now!

Thank you!!
  • bunnieslippers
    Options
    When I first calculated this I put my height in cm, not inches. It was way off the first time around! Such a faceplam moment. Haha