Just Ate Breakfast & Am Already Over My Sugar?

Options
lukeout007
lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
Seriously...for breakfast I've had a fage 0% with honey greek yogurt and a coffee with 2 sugar packets...while breakfast tends to be my sugariest time of the day...I'm already over what MFP says I should be at...really?

Replies

• patmc35
    patmc35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new and I don't have the sugar on my food tracker. How do get that on?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people post about this. You might want to try something with less sugar for breakfast. Maybe plain Greek yogurt and add berries instead of honey. All in all, though, 35 for the day might be a bit unrealistic. Do you have access to a dietician or nutritionist? If so, I'd consult one about what a realistic daily goal is.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Flavored greek yogurt has a lot of processed sugar... I believe most of them are 16-20g per serving. Add your sugar packets for the coffee, and done. I rarely ever go over mine and I'm on 25. It's not difficult (and you don't count natural fruit sugars).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I get my sugar from healthy sources so as long as my carbs are within limits I don't worry.
  • kschudy
    kschudy Posts: 17
    Options
    I've become a stevia fan. Whole Foods has it in flavored liquid form - i use the vanilla creme stevia drops in my greek yogurt and coffee. It's delicious!
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I always go over my sugar. I think almost everyone does. As long as it's natural sugar, it's not a big deal. Fruits have lots of sugar.
  • bells4her
    Options
    Part of the problem with yogurt is that it's going to have the milk sugar (lactose) in there before you even add any kind of sweetener and MFP is going to count that sugar.

I also would recommend Stevia. I *hate* artificial sweeteners because I cannot stand the after-taste, but stevia doesn't have an aftertaste (at least, not that I detect).
  • kjj1984
    kjj1984 Posts: 14
    Options
    That was the story of my first week. Greek yogurt and coffee creamer...but I has having the same problem: over my sugar before noon!

I switched to a sugar free coffee creamer and had to limit my greek yogurt (my honey greek yogurt is still sitting in my fridge....waiting for an exercise day).
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    IMO - unless you are diabetic, you should probably worry more about tracking carbs and fat and protein. I am pre-diabetic, myself, but my doctor has told me that at this point, what will help me the most is to diet and exercise, and I do not track my blood sugar. And in my last A1C test, my level was LOWER than pre-diabetic now, and while still on the high end of normal, becoming less and less of a concern as I shed pounds. On my tracker, it says I have lost 9 pounds, but that is since I have started here. i have actually lost about 50 so far, from my highest weight.
  • bells4her
    Options
    I am fairly new and I don't have the sugar on my food tracker. How do get that on?

when you are on your food diary page, hit "settings" on top of the page, then hit "diary settings" and you can choose what 5 macronutrients you want to track.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar. I think almost everyone does. As long as it's natural sugar, it's not a big deal. Fruits have lots of sugar.

Exactly. I believe MFP's recommendation is more intended for tracking your ADDED sugars. The honey in your yogurt is natural sugar. Same with fruit - lots of sugary goodness, but no added sugars.

Your sugar packets for coffee are the type to watch out for.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried about it...90% of my sugars come from fruit anyway...i just thought it was funny how unrealistic MFP's sugar expectations are...