Anyone here vegan/vegetarian doing low carb?

Options
Is it even possible to do a low carb diet when you're vegan? I'm thinking about cutting out animal protein but I don't do well with losing weight and eating carbs

Replies

• Morganjannelle
    Options
    What do you consider ‘low carb’ exactly?

I’m vegetarian and I never seem to hit the carb limit that MFP gives me per day. I rarely eat bread so that probably helps. IF you’re already eating low carb just switch out meat for soy products and beans ect?
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you would do that. I have been trying to go vegan. Been slipping a lot lately, still vegetarian. Honestly 1/2 my diet is rice, beans, fruit or veggies. All of those have a lot of carbs. I'm not sure what you would eat other than veggies and protein shakes to be vegan and go low carb.

I tried for a little while to stay under 100g carbs a day but that ended quickly.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I vegan and I have just completed my 27th day of low carbs. If you are not already vegan or vegetarian it will entail quite a lot of effort at first checking labels etc and re-stocking with non-animal products. I have a link for a vegan low carb diet if you would like it. I have been vegan for 12 years, 4 years of that in the UK and 8 years in Western Australia (which has been more challenging because of limited availability of veggie/vegan stuff). Good luck it can still be yummy, it isn't all vegetables :happy:

Jayne
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    100-130g of carbs per day is what I was thinking. I am currently a meat eater and I think I want to introduce non-animal protein sources while phasing out meat, I know I couldn't just go vegan all at once. I don't digest legumes that well and try to stay away from them, but don't rule them out completely. I am guessing that seitan and tempeh are good protein replacements, I haven't tried either yet.

@JayneTraub I would like the vegan low carb diet link please, thanks :) And I love veggies but vegetables alone won't sustain me.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    What do you consider ‘low carb’ exactly?

I’m vegetarian and I never seem to hit the carb limit that MFP gives me per day. I rarely eat bread so that probably helps. IF you’re already eating low carb just switch out meat for soy products and beans ect?

it bothers me to see how many people use soy like its going out of style.

The only safe type of soy is FERMENTED...most soy used in the US is unfermented. it's toxic.