Barista at Starbucks, does this count as exercise?

Options
Hello,
I work at Starbucks and I'm constantly walking around making drinks, cleaning, etc.
I only get to sit for my hour lunch so that is 7 hours that I'm on my feet.
Does this count as some sort of exercise? If so, how do I track this in my exercise diary
or should I get one of those step counters
Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would change my activity level as opposed to counting it in as exercise. Especially if u do it often.Then, MFP will factor that into your daily calorie needs.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would change my activity level as opposed to counting it in as exercise. Especially if u do it often.Then, MFP will factor that into your daily calorie needs.

Agreed. If something that's in your daily routine, I wouldn't count it as exercise.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    if you wanted to see what you actually burn in an hour of working you can always use a HRM with a chest strap so you can turn it on and forget about it. I would imagine using it for a whole day would drain the battery.
  • I also go to the gym and go to my bellydance class but I wish I could burn
    extra calories! I guess being up and about is a plus but can't count that as
    exercise
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You should get mentally and physically ready for exercising. Example:

I got my gym clothes on and filled my water bottle = ready to exercise
    I picked up a heavy box a couple times and walked around = your job

See the difference?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

^my vote
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Definitely change activity level if it's not already... lightly to moderately active.
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Yep. Make sure your activity level is accurate - if so MFP will automatically give you extra calories based on your day to day activity :flowerforyou:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Change your activity level.
  • heatherterp
    Options
    you cold get a pedometer and see how many steps you take and log some of that. Just a thought
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    im on my feet all day and i still dont count that as exercise, its factored in into your daily activity

just dont be sippin on those mocha frappes!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if you want to be accurate wear a HRM for like 2 hours, see how many calories you burn on average-substract the amount you would burn resting (BMR) during those 2 hours and than whatever calories you have left you can eat, but that only counts of you set your level to sedentry!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options

My vote too!
  • addisondisease
    Options
    if you want to be accurate wear a HRM

HRM aren't totaly accurate
    whatever calories you have left you can eat

Say hello to your weight gain
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i work at starbucks too. but i wouldnt really count it as exercise. someone once said if its something you do everyday then dont log it. i get sweaty sometimes, but really i dont think it adds up to much. deffinitly not anything worth eating back. there is something in the data base as "serving food" and thats bassically like walkin around and carrying some plates and working the dishwasher. i sweat my butt off when i sweep mop and put chairs up at night tho! really wish i had a hrm so i could see!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    agree with everone else- set your activity level to reflect it. i work at a dunkin donuts, and my activity level is at either light or moderate(i can't remember which) since i'm up and walking around for 6-8 hours of the day- not sitting at a desk.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    Options
    if you want to be accurate wear a HRM

HRM aren't totaly accurate
    whatever calories you have left you can eat

Say hello to your weight gain

thanks so much for being helpfull!

your comments really showed some insite into what she can do to get an accurate reading

exept that you just added remarks that really didnt prove/teach/show/help anyone exept maybe yourself :]

and thanks for telling us how to get ready to workout. that was a real brain teaser
  • addisondisease
    Options
    Dang someone gets mad easily ^

And its a fact that HRM are NOT totally accurate, they can help you get a close guess but it isn't factual.

I like how you respond to my sarcasm with sarcasm, no high road eh? (lol more sarcasm)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    Options
    Dang someone gets mad easily ^

And its a fact that HRM are NOT totally accurate, they can help you get a close guess but it isn't factual.

I like how you respond to my sarcasm with sarcasm, no high road eh? (lol more sarcasm)

nope :p im not mad i was actully kinda joking around but i guess that dosnt play off well on the computer. i just wanted a serious answer and im sick of going on the forums and seeing peoples responces as stuff that dosnt provide any thought or facts or anything. I do sweat at work, yeah its my job but couldnt it still count for calories burned? if not then why. im honestly curious, just not curious as to how you get ready to workout :tongue:
  • addisondisease
    Options
    I do sweat at work, yeah its my job but couldn't it still count for calories burned? if not then why.

You are certainly burning more calories working at Starbucks than you would working a desk job or watching TV, yet you wouldn't want to count that as actual exercise or even as calories burnt if you plan on eating those back. If you don't plan on eating those back, then great count away, seems a bit over kill though. Eating back calories can be abused, just because you picked up an extra 300 calories doesn't mean you should eat fudge and ice cream. We aren't impulsive toddlers anymore we can make better decisions now.

Seditary is basically for your job, not necessarily your entire life style. People confuse it with bed ridden. In my opinion the only people who can count their job as extra burnt calories would be someone who teaches a zumba, p90x, ripped, etc class.