How much is 1 cup?

Options
Just want to know that in the food database many things like rice , pasta,ice cream etc are recorded with calorie value given for 1 cup. SO how much is 1 cup in weight exactly? Lets say -rice -1 cup cooked would be ? ?? grams . Just asking to make sure that what I enter in my food dairy is more accurate.

Replies

• cnj001
    cnj001 Posts: 15
    Options
    One cup of food is going to weigh different amounts depending on the food. The databases are based on one measuring cup of cooked rice or veggies or whatever so trying to use a scale wouldn't really help you any.
    hope this helps!
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    Well then how do I know that my measure of 1 cup is the same as the one entered in the database? Is there a standard size of a cup -if yes then what is it?
    Sorry if this sounds silly But I need to know.specially to measure rice :wink:
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    If you have a measuring cup handy you can use that. 1 cup is equal to 8 fl ounces. I am pretty sure 1 cup is standard unless you live in the UK or somwhere they use to metric system.

-Danielle
  • sarachana
    sarachana Posts: 24
    Options
    even in the metric system, one cup is the same size. 8fl oz. or 240ml
  • notoprod
    notoprod Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know what Lookgreat meant. The problem with using a cup is that you can get different weight even for the same item. For example, if I measure rice with a cup, I could press the rice real hard so I will get more rice, than if I just loosely pack it. That is why I prefer to use a kitchen scale, which I believe is a must to have when you want to control your portion.
    However, Lookgreat doesn't have to use the cup measurement if she doesn't want, because in the database, MFP provide the measurement in cup and in grammes.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I read this on another thread (and saw it confirmed on some others) for pasta:

I researched this same question last week. Found varying answers on the Internet but finally located the National Pasta Association which says 2 oz equals 1 cup cooked pasta so I'm going with that!