Chicken Nuggets: How bad are they?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I came across this article:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/chicken-nuggets-how-bad-are-they

Good grief.... how do you raise a child on Chicken Mcnuggets for 15 years?!?!? That's disgusting!

Replies

• sugarnspice8
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. See i Love nuggets however, I gave them up after watching the mcdonalds documentary
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What makes that story worse is that the mother said she was NOW trying to get the child to eat other foods. Maybe she should of started that years ago instead of waiting for her health to suffer.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I read that. Lol. Laughed at it. I refused to eat food when I was a child, like many other children but you don't see me or them living on the same food for 15 years. Why? Because our parents refused to be told what to do by a toddler.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted a photo on facebook yesterday of some pink stuff that looked like soft-serve ice cream. Turns out that it is the chicken-ish mash that they use to make nuggets, apparently. They add coloring to bring it back to beige/yellow. ((shudder))
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would say chicken strips are better w/BBQ sauce. That is just my opinion LOL
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bad Bad Bad
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    I came across this article:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/chicken-nuggets-how-bad-are-they

Good grief.... how do you raise a child on Chicken Mcnuggets for 15 years?!?!? That's disgusting!

well its the same as giving chips, ice cream, endless candy, cookies, whole milk , tons of cheese , mac and cheese ... hot dogs , need i go on? i was raised on food cooked in lard and doused with msg /salt.. no wonder i became a walking disaster
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted a photo on facebook yesterday of some pink stuff that looked like soft-serve ice cream. Turns out that it is the chicken-ish mash that they use to make nuggets, apparently. They add coloring to bring it back to beige/yellow. ((shudder))
    I don't eat them because they taste awful, so I wouldn't know, but...They're beige/yellow inside? Shouldn't they be white?
  • ShelleLP
    Options
    I always make my own =/
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    After seeing a video on how they make them I'll never eat them again.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    402205_10150592598781183_656546182_11524936_960131419_n.jpg

That's what's in a chicken mcnugget

Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made – things like chicken nuggets and patties. Also, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it.

Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve — bones, eyes, guts, and all. it comes out looking like this.

There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

But, hey, at least it tastes good, right?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fast-foods-generic/9336/2

this website has the scoop. just basic though 10 chicken mcnuggets have 463 calories with 29 grams of fat :sick:
    yuk now i am glad i have never tried them
  • cygnetpro
    Options
    I don't eat them because they taste awful, so I wouldn't know, but...They're beige/yellow inside? Shouldn't they be white?

True. She just said that they added the chicken color later. I wish I could copy and paste photos on here. It really was gross.
  • cygnetpro
    Options

Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made – things like chicken nuggets and patties. Also, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it.

Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve — bones, eyes, guts, and all. it comes out looking like this.

There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

THAT;S IT!!!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Source: http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/can-you-guess-what-mcdonald’s-food-item-this-isSee More
  • 623Hernandez
    Options

I was going to post this! Well I quess I kinda did! Kinda makes me want chicken nuggets now! mmmMMMmmm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I read that. Lol. Laughed at it. I refused to eat food when I was a child, like many other children but you don't see me or them living on the same food for 15 years. Why? Because our parents refused to be told what to do by a toddler.

Exactly!! I cringe every time I read a post about having to fix 2 meals because "I have kids and they want junk" or feeding kids fast food because "it's all they will eat and I can't let them starve".
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This was discussed yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466958-chicken-nuggets-yay-or-nay

Read pages 2-4. That pink gunk is NOT what chicken nuggets are made of. It is all 100% white meat, NOT mechanically separated chicken. These photos are a scare tactic to get people to stop eating fast food, in an underhanded way.

Though I need to correct something that I posted...mechanically separated chicken is NOT the entire carcass. It is a process used to separate the meat from the bone, NOT using all the extras (guts, heads etc). I checked Snopes after posting that and found out that was incorrect inormation.

While fast food is not the best choice of food, it is still food. I still eat McD's after working there for 3.5 years as a manager (only left because I moved to the USA). Anything is fine to eat, as long as it is in moderation. It isn't going to kill you to eat a cheeseburger once in a while.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp