What alcohol to choose?

Options
Going to a party... will be drinking involved... What is the best alcohol to drink for less calories? I'm normally a red wine drinker. I haven't been drinking at all (Excluding New Years of course). So now that's i'm eating healthy, I don't want to drink my way up the calorie chart. Any other tips?

Replies

• spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can't really offer any help, but I too would like to know the answer to this question, as I will be going out with my boyfriend on his birthday next week, and don't want to throw myself off too badly!
  • elgo1819
    Options
    Depends. Are you going for a few casual drinks? Or are you going rockstar, and getting smashed? A few beers aren't...terrible. If they're light. They have the 55 Select beers (ew) you can try. Basically it'll come down to what you want to sacrifice.
  • elgo1819
    Options
    I used this. But I love beer. And that's all I drink 90% of the time (if I'm drinking. Not lately). As for wine/liquor, I'm not helpful.

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    I just bought some Voli Lyte Vodka. I believe it's 74 calories for 1.5 ounces. Regular vodka is about the same calories for only 1 ounce. It's really smoothe, too. I mixed it in a VERY tall glass with water, lime, and lemon wedges. :drinker:
  • carrie1013
    Options
    I actually like the 55 Select. I wouldn't think a bloody mary would be too bad, especially if made with v-8.
  • siciliankiss
    Options
    Vodka & Water with a lemon/lime

You won't be dehydrated so no hangover!
    and there's no calories in water so you'll be saving them on that end but should count the vodka calories (1 shot per drink)
  • dvd1
    dvd1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is almost as calorific as fat. It doesnt matter what you drink, as every form of alcohol contains 7 calories per gramme. Have smaller sized glasses of wine at the party and keep an eye on how much you consume. A bottle of red wine ( 12%) will put about 600 calories into your system. Enjoy the party.
  • KarenRaydo
    Options
    I actally had a Bloody Mary made with V8 because I thought the same thing. I was extremely surprised. If you are thinking of drinking one eat less calories before hand. I too like a drink if I go out for a meal. Now I think more carefully about my choices. Honestly, I have not searched anymore wine beer or cocktails. But have invited my family to supper for "beer bottom" chicken. Have no idea how to count calories for a moistureizer.:smile:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Life is short so why worry about calories at all on your night out? Of course moderation is the key to keeping it off but nothing says every day of your life must be moderate.. Have fun!
  • siciliankiss
    Options
    Life is short so why worry about calories at all on your night out? Of course moderation is the key to keeping it off but nothing says every day of your life must be moderate.. Have fun!
    ^^
    enjoy yourself!
    Sometimes your body needs that "crash" then pick yourself right back up!
  • ali_kat4
    ali_kat4 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! And you're right... I shouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not a huge vodka person and I have heard it's less calories before.. but unless it's mixed with sugary oj.. then I can't stomach it. I guess it's wine (mixed with moderation). I'll just have to laugh a little more (That's good for burning calories isn't it? lol)
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    not sure about cals.. but UV cake is delish.. just saying ;]
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Malibu & diet coke? 51 cal
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Malibu & diet coke? 51 cal

SOUNDS YUMMY.. and I don't even like pop!
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I was taught to have a glass of water between drinks, you're still holding/drinking something, so you don't feel like you are missing out and still getting to have a couple drinks, plus less likely to have a hangover.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I second this!!
    I used to be a hardcore party girl until I started this lifestyle change. Now, a year into my journey, I don't drink nearly as often as I used to. However, when I go out, I go all out! Even though all now 81 pounds lighter is a LOT different that all out when I tipped the scales at over 300 pounds.
    But I figured if I'm only gonna go out one or two nights a month then I'm gonna do it up right!

To answer your questions, I only drink Bud Light ....with the occasional Vegas Bomb shot.
  • mellymclaughlin
    Options
    I've recently got back into Vodka - drunk it with redbull during my party heyday but as I got older, my brain and body just couldn't handle it so I got more into wine, whiskey and scrumpy ciders - all of which aren't great when you are counting the cals! I now drink Vodka and Slimline Tonic although I might get into this Vodka with water and lime if that anecdote about no hangover is true. I never thought of it like that.......
  • eatlift
    eatlift Posts: 113
    Options
    Steel Reserve and High Gravity! :D
  • ChrisBrown3107
    ChrisBrown3107 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels and diet coke in a tall glass with extra coke for longevity at parties usually works for me. I rarely go over 3 drinks nowadays on nights out. Comes in at 79 calories per glass which is pretty good.
  • JeanetteDee
    JeanetteDee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Vaderade (Vodka and Gatorade) when I was watching my weight before, but now I have been doing Mich Ultra and try not to go over 4 beers.