Servings Per Container - incorrect sometimes??

Options
So I just microwaved one of those steam-in-bag spinaches, and I look at the bag, and the serving size is 1 cup, (4 servings per package, so 4 cups total). I use a measuring cup to portion out exactly 1 cup, and there definitely is NOT 3 cups worth left - maybe 1.5 at most...

Same thing happened with canned peaches (serving size 1/2 cup, 3.5 servings per container=1.75 cups total). I measured out 1/2 cup and had *maybe* 3/4 cup left (total=1.25 cups).

Anyone else notice this? Am I missing something?? I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as the calorie/serving size info is correct!! :smile:

Replies

• TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    sometimes it will state about 4 servings so just look and make sure it doesn't say it that way.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh most of my food rather than trying to measure by volume. I find that it is much more accurate.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I weigh most of my food rather than trying to measure by volume. I find that it is much more accurate.

I weigh things when the serving size is ounces (meat, cheese, etc), but perhaps I will start weighing in grams for things like this (since grams are usually listed next to the cups) - we'll see how that goes! :smile:
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to measure in grams, but I measure by whatever is listed on the nutritional information.

It started when I tried to measure my salad greens. Trying to measure 2 cups of spinach? Should it be packed? Loose? In the middle? :huh:

I use my scale everyday when I get my snacks and whatnot ready. It's actually very helpful not only in meal planning but in cooking. I wish American recipes used more weight measurements instead of volume measurements.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    Agreed!!! Especially after seeing how off the volume measurements seem to be! I hear ya on the greens - normally I just eyeball those, since I figure if I have a little extra, it's good for me! Gotta love foods that are 10calories for 2 cups!! :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think it may mean before cooking. But I weigh everything.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    I think it may mean before cooking. But I weigh everything.

I was thinking that for the spinach, it does take up more of the bag when it's frozen....not sure about the peaches, maybe it includes the juice/syrup (which I drained off)....definitely going to start weighing everything!!! I find it oddly fun, anyways!!! :laugh:
  • Joyyj
    Joyyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't know about frozen spinach, but fresh spinach shrinks for sure. Think some of the measurements are before cooking.

Canned food may include the juice when printed on the can. Sometimes you can find the calories for drained items on the internet. I found the peaches, it said it was 60 calories 3.5 ounces drained. If you find it then you should add it to the data base so we can all benefit. I will do the peaches.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    Don't know about frozen spinach, but fresh spinach shrinks for sure. Think some of the measurements are before cooking.

Canned food may include the juice when printed on the can. Sometimes you can find the calories for drained items on the internet. I found the peaches, it said it was 60 calories 3.5 ounces drained. If you find it then you should add it to the data base so we can all benefit. I will do the peaches.

Thank you!!!! YES I bet for the spinach it does mean frozen!! Didn't really think of that...seems kind of silly, at least for pasta or rice they give the serving sizes cooked! Guess it doesn't hurt to eat a little extra spinach! With other items I will have to be more conscious of this! My scale is going to get a lot more use! :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Yes....especially in products packaged in water like canned beans. If I measure out what they say is a serving, it comes no where close to what the weight in grams should be. So frustrating! I think they are taking the water (or goo) that they are packaged in account.