Any Spinning Enthusiasts Out There

Options
Hi There,

My name is Stephany and I'm not new to MFP, but I just returned at the beginning of the year. In 2008, I found myself heavier than I'd ever been. I got serious about exercising and discovered spinning. The results were great. I loved it so much that I started teached spin for 24 Hour Fitness. I was crazy about exercising for the first time in my life. It took a little bit of time, but I stuck to it and before I knew it, I'd lost 40 pounds (some told me that I'd lost too much weight). I must have believed them because after I met the man that is now my husband, I gained it all back while planning my wedding (how backwards). Well the wedding is over and I'm out of excuses. I'm back to the gym and back in the saddle. I'm spinning about four days a week and would love to find others that love to spin. I need encouragement, support and sometimes a good tongue lashing. Anyone want to be friends?

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm new to spinning - only been doing it for two weeks. But I absolutely LOVE it!!! I never enjoyed exercise until I started spinning.
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What kind of calorie burn can you get spinning? I've been thinking about it as I could do one class a week when my daughter is in nursery. Also do you think I could cope as only started to exercise this month and still working on endurance etc. Any tips gratefully received!! xxx
  • swilk627
    Options
    What kind of calorie burn can you get spinning? I've been thinking about it as I could do one class a week when my daughter is in nursery. Also do you think I could cope as only started to exercise this month and still working on endurance etc. Any tips gratefully received!! xxx

I burn right around 475 in a 60 minute class. I'm sure some people burn way more - I'm still new and can't push myself as hard as others.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    its week 3 for me this sunday, unfortunetly i cant afford to go more than once a week but OMG i love it and with my HRM i manage a burn of 400-500 in 45 mins :bigsmile:
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning!!!! I do it 3 to 4 times a week. I'll send you a friend request now.
  • toristory
    toristory Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been going for almost a year, and I am ADDICTED! I average between 650-900 calories in a 60 minute class. I would definitely say you should get a heart rate monitor to get the most accurate calorie burn readout.
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    Same here, today I did 720 in an hour. I've been at it for three months and love it. I even have a knee injury but I can spin!!!
  • gec1266
    gec1266 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like to. I spin 2-3 times a week and the burn is insane!! My caloric burn usually ends up in the 800-1000 area. It's much harder than people think and I love when I hear,"You take a spin class? All you're doing is riding a stationary bike." I love that....and when they actually try it their tune changes completely...That being said,stick with it and come by my side of the MFP planet if you need a little push....
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just started spinning last week....so only been to 2 classes so far (only go once a week as I have a pretty busy workout schedule ) but love it so far :)
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    LOVe...LOVE...LOVEEEEE spin!! I too loved it sooo much that i became a instructor and have lost lots of weight 96lbs and counting. ;)
  • skinnyjay12
    skinnyjay12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ive only done my 2nd class this week and honestly can not say I loved it!! lol - but first one was Mon - OMG - I thought I was dying - whole body was shaking and thought my heart was gonna pump its way out my chest - BUT - Wed class i concentrated a lot more on my breathing and wasnt so bad - managed a lot more of the standing up but was terrible at the sprints - legs were just too sore. But I will go back and hopefully it will get better and perhaps one day you might even hear me say I Love spinning???
  • swilk627
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like to. I spin 2-3 times a week and the burn is insane!! My caloric burn usually ends up in the 800-1000 area. It's much harder than people think and I love when I hear,"You take a spin class? All you're doing is riding a stationary bike." I love that....and when they actually try it their tune changes completely...That being said,stick with it and come by my side of the MFP planet if you need a little push....

It sure is no joke! I describe it as cycling on speed! Ha!
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love love love spinning! I have been doing it for a while now and our class is very vigorous (tons of seated climbs, intense intervals, etc)... our instructor has no mercy on us anymore lol! MFP says I burn upwards of 1000 cals for a 50 min class...which I think is a little high - however, there is a girl in our class that has a heart rate monitor and burns at least 800 every class....so it might not be that far off. I a going to get a heart rate monitor soon though because I am so curious what I actually burn! It is SUCH a great workout! Make sure you stretch really well afterwards (especially calves - you use them more than you think!) and keep a solid core. I know a lot of people who complain of back/shoulder aches but I think it's because they tense up in the upper body when all the work is below the belt! Friend request sent! :)
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So true... I love to see youngters come with that attiude. Two minutes in and they are done!
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning so addicted to it! 3x a week here for the last month. Usually burn 800 to 1000 calories per ride. I just lost 61 pounds in the last 120 days and never ever thought I'd be able to do it. Glad you are spinning its the best burn and really good for the abs, butt and legs. Sending you a friend request. :)
  • swilk627
    Options
    So, any of y'all spinners have knee problems you have to deal with? Standing while spinning KILLS my knees!
  • LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love spining! Toristory is my daughter and we take 2-3 classes per week; but there was a few months where I was taking 4-5 classes a week. I burn anywhere from 650-830 calores per class depending on the instructor. We have one that really makes you push yourself farther than you ever thought you could go - she's amazing! I cut back to 2-3 classes per week (Mon - Wed and I try to get to the Saturday morning class), but I lift weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays or Friday's followed by elliptical and/or treadmill. Spinning is my favorite of all though - hence the name!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Hi*waves* Love spinning! Kudos to you for getting back at it! You can add me as well!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Spinning is definitely one of my FAV workouts!!! I have loss alot of weight from it as others....I started in this journey doing it 3-4 days a week 41-45 min classes instructor lead...But now I tend to go to 1 or 2 instructor lead classes..But for the most part our spin room is open and I go in solo and put my music on and get me a 20min workout in easily!! I just love it...