Zombie Cheeseburger!

Options
I had to share this. My boss just emailed me this and I remember reading from someone on here that they knew someone who left a McDonald's Egg McMuffin on their dashboard in their car for three months and it never changed or grew mold. This is similar.

****Zombie cheeseburger? McDonald’s patty, bun, cheese unchanged after one year sitting on kitchen counter

Postmedia News Dec 29, 2011 – 8:45 AM ET | Last Updated: Dec 29, 2011 9:41 AM

Nutritionist Melanie Hesketh shows off a McDonalds cheeseburger she has had sitting on her counter for one year in Windsor on Wednesday, December 28, 2011. Although dried out the burger shows little signs of decomposing.

By Doug Schmidt

WINDSOR, Ont. — Whenever Melanie Hesketh’s kids get a hankering for junk food, all she has to do is point to the kitchen counter.

That’s where she keeps an unwrapped cheeseburger that turns one on Thursday, and it looks pretty much the same as the day it came off a McDonald’s grill.

Mold, maggots, fungi, bacteria — all have avoided the tempting meal that sits in plain view.

“Obviously it makes me wonder why we choose to eat food like this when even bacteria won’t eat it,” said Ms. Hesketh.

The meat patty has shrunk a bit, but it still looks edible and, with a faint but lingering greasy, leathery odour, she said it “still smells slightly like a burger . . . it hasn’t changed much."
As a professional nutritionist at Windsor’s Lifetime Wellness Centre, Ms. Hesketh was already armed with the education and all the proper facts and information to steer her children — ages 13 and 15 — toward the best food choices.
But what self-respecting teen is going to listen to well-meaning lectures from mom, especially on a product sold by the millions annually?

The Internet and social media are filled with tales of fast-food products made for quick consumption but seemingly immune to the ravages of time, and that’s how Ms. Hesketh got the idea on how best to educate her own kids.

It’s worked marvellously. Despite peer pressure to hang out at the cheap and fast burger chain outlets popular with young people, Ms. Hesketh said her oldest son has been back “maybe twice” to McDonald’s over the past year.

“It’s made him more aware, and he makes better choices, definitely,” said Ms. Hesketh.

The experience has triggered other healthy changes around the Hesketh household, including the family’s decision this year to create a garden and start growing some of their own fresh food.

The tough cheeseburger travels well and Ms. Hesketh has brought it to work to show off to those, like her teens, who need visuals for extra convincing.

“It’s a great eye opener . . . We use it to educate our patients that what they’re putting into their bodies may not be healthy,” she said.

“I think most people who see this are swayed,” said Michelle Prince, a chiropractor who runs Lifetime Wellness Centre.

Calls Wednesday to McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Ltd. went unanswered, but the world’s top-selling burger chain, whose menu is increasingly populated by healthier meal choices, has lashed out before against similar criticism.

“Despite the myths out there, our meat is very real!” the company says on its website, adding McDonald’s Canada “uses only 100 per cent Canadian, CFIA-inspected beef.”

The patties are “sprinkled with salt and pepper at the restaurant during cooking. That’s it. No additives, fillers or binding agents,” the website says.

But Ms. Hesketh points to the “astronomical” salt content in many fast food products when asked to explain how a burger can last so long and still look so good. A McDonald’s cheeseburger weighs in at 115 grams at the time of cooking, but delivers 200 calories and 750 milligrams of sodium.

Meat patty aside, Prince points to the perfectly preserved bun and the slice of cheese as areas of concern.

What’s described on McDonald’s “Food Facts” webpage as simply “regular bun” can actually contain 32 or more ingredients, including everything from polysorbate 20 and sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate to calcium propionate and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, many of them long names to describe additives, preservatives and emulsifiers. The processed cheese slice has 15 ingredients.

“Ideally,” said Ms. Hesketh, she would have liked to have seen some mould eventually growing on that still-perfect (yet hardened) bun. At the time of purchase, she ordered her cheeseburger plain, without ketchup and mustard, but there’s been no special handling or storage over the previous 365 days.

Asked what she plans to do now with her yearling burger, Ms. Hesketh responded: “I’m going to keep it forever — it’s a good conversation piece.”

Prince and Ms. Hesketh said a lot of the patients they see at their Windsor clinic suffer from high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels and diabetes.

“All of it can be attributed to what they are eating,” said Ms. Hesketh, who hopes her burger helps serve as a reminder for people to “take more consideration” in what they consume.

“People forget what real food is,” said Ms. Prince.

Replies

• SynicalEnvee
    Options
    All I can say to this is OMG THAT IS SOOOOO GROSS!!! I knew that McD's wasn't good at all but I never knew the extent. I just recently quit eating out at resturaunts. (week 3 in my commitment!) It's been tough but not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I'm going to print this off and put it on my fridge. I can't believe I was putting that into my body! I'm so glad that I'm done with fast food (mostly still have slip-ups).

This is huge motivator for those struggling with the taste of fast food. Because it does taste good.and they have to be lying because people will eat 3x more food from a McD's than at home even if it was the same meal. I made home made hamburgers awhile back and I could barely eat one and I could eat a Whopper at McD;s and I wasn't even satisfyied.

But thanks for posting this!! It will definately keep me from going for that quick Mcfix!!!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    load of crap, I have found moldy McDonalds under the car seat more time than I care to admit.

Burgers don't make people fat and un healthy.

eating in excess or in an imbalanced way for long periods of time make people fat and unhealthy.

edited: because I was not sticking to topic
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    My co-worker was just telling me about this... thanks for posting!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I had a piece of bread on my counter that did the same thing.. it was there for 3 weeks to prove a point... it turned into a cruton... and the stuff in a bag got moldy.. I suspect this would happen if I did the same with 2 cheese burgers.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese Burgers!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Considering I managed a McDonald's for a couple of years, I can certainly tell you that the cheeseburger in this article must;ve been doctored somehow. Things spoil. McDonald's food spoils. Burger patties rot if left out, burger buns grow moldy if they sit too long without being used.

I really hope you don't blindly believe every random email you receive.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    I really hope you don't blindly believe every random email you receive.

Does this mean that this exiled king from Africa really is not going to give me 1.3 million dollars for letting him route his money through my bank accounts?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    load of crap, I have found moldy McDonalds under the car seat more time than I care to admit. People need to quit vilanizing food and take more responsibility for their own actions.

Calories in vs calories out for weightloss. nothing more nothing less.

I think the article is more about food quality than weight loss, and I believe there are plenty of legitimate health and nutrition reasons to vilify McD.

But I also have seen McD food go bad. Under the right conditions most food will not rot. I've seen wild caught meat sit at room remperature for months without molding. We call it deer jerky.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    gross....
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    load of crap, I have found moldy McDonalds under the car seat more time than I care to admit. People need to quit vilanizing food and take more responsibility for their own actions.

I think the article is more about food quality than weight loss, and I believe there are plenty of legitimate health and nutrition reasons to vilify McD.

But I also have seen McD food go bad. Under the right conditions most food will not rot. I've seen wild caught meat sit at room remperature for months without molding. We call it deer jerky.

yeah I got carried away, as you will see, while you were commenting I had editted my post for content :-)

p.s. high five for making venison jerky
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    All that health food must limit your capacity for deductive reasoning.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That would be how jerky is made. Just usually days, not months. :laugh:

Dry aged for flavor!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    When you leave something out in the open air...it will dehydrate and without moisture, there's nothing for mold to really get started with. If you took the same cheeseburger and put it in a baggy and left it sit...it would absolutely mold.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    All that health food must limit your capacity for deductive reasoning.

exactly
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    This is silly. I have left McDonalds in my fridge and it molded in 2 days. I dont know if anyone has come in *****ing about the apples not turning brown also,but yesterday when i left my daughters in the car for 30 minutes yesterday the turned brown
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about cheeseburgers made from zombies. So disappointed.:cry:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I could eat a Whopper at McD;s and I wasn't even satisfyied.
    I imagine that was a really weird McDonald's if they sold you a Whopper. :huh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    McDonalds burgers are only zombies if they eat the brains of other burgers. Come now. Let's use our common sense.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    yesterday when i left my daughters in the car for 30 minutes yesterday the turned brown

Were they mad?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    When the Zombies come i'm going to hit up McD's and stock up!