Suggestions for meals for school

Options
Hi Friends!
I started school this past week and will have 14 hours of study time outside of the 6 hours of class time. Place that on top of a 40 hour week and boy have I got a tight schedule!
Here is my dilemma:
I will be studying M-Thurs after work at school for 2-3 hours, I can refrigerate something while I am at work, then heat it up when I get to school, but the quickest thing I can think of would be a sandwhich or a frozen meal, but since I am trying to go healthy, I have no clue what that entails.
On Friday nights I have class, same thing I can leave work and heat something up, or take a sandwhich.
On Saturdays I have class at 1 pm, but I have a morning full of activities, once again all I can think of is a sandwhich or frozen meal.
This will most certainly get old before my 15 weeks is up.
Please, any suggestions or recipes would be very, very helpful!
Thanks,
Jenn

Replies

• corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat but have found rice bowls to be a great grab and go meal that I can make at home on the weekends, keep in the refrigerator during the week. I normally make 3-4 at a time. They are cheap to make too.

You can adjust the ingredients and portions to your needs and likes.
    Usually a dinner portion for me might be
    1 Cup Brown Rice
    1/4 cup black beans or pinto
    2 oz grilled chicken breast
    1/4 cup green peas
    medium salsa
    cilantro
    tablespoon sour cream
    shredded cheddar cheese
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat but have found rice bowls to be a great grab and go meal that I can make at home on the weekends, keep in the refrigerator during the week. I normally make 3-4 at a time. They are cheap to make too.

You can adjust the ingredients and portions to your needs and likes.
    Usually a dinner portion for me might be
    1 Cup Brown Rice
    1/4 cup black beans or pinto
    2 oz grilled chicken breast
    1/4 cup green peas
    medium salsa
    cilantro
    tablespoon sour cream
    shredded cheddar cheese

Thanks a million!!!!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I myself if I need a quick on the go meal I have some type of Salad in a salad shaker cup with dressing on the side you could add crasisns, nuts, cheese, egg's, meat what every you like. Play with your food that I what I am told till you find something that works
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    PIZZA!!!! its a serving of veggies!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    crock pot a lot of soup and freeze some for later
    salad
    wraps
    check out some crock pot blogs. I like this one a lot!
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can prepare for the days you have to go to school by making homemade chicken salad or tuna salad ahead of time - take that with a green salad and light bread... put it together at school before class starts. No highly salted canned chicken meat -- use your own baked chicken leftovers.

You can make egg cups - check out some of the recipe threads here - they are good for a protein packed dinner - and you can just grab that from the refrigerator and take it to work for on the way to school.

Preparedness is the answer to this question. If you can heat up any frozen meals at school or at work, you shouldn't have a problem toting your own healthier version that you prepared for school.

Good luck - it does get tiring but it's definitely worth it.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest salads, wraps (give some variety to sandwiches), and soups - Progresso has a lot of good soups and they are low calorie too. You can add in awesome snacks like 90 calorie Fiber One bars, 100 calorie snack packs, Sugar free Jello-O cups (only 10 calories). I also like to snack on the 100 calorie bags of PopSecret Kettle Corn.

I like the rice suggestion above, I'm going to try and make that myself. :smile:
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my family is not big on sandwiches, and i hate cooking every night so i cook one day a week. we tend to eat what is in season.

so right now i have in my fridge
    brown rice
    baby lettuce
    turkey meatloaf (sliced)
    carne asada
    chicken asada
    roasted red peppers roasted potatoe

from that we make different combo they take to school, but fo rme it's easier as we are so active afterschool so instead of fastfood in the car they pack this. i always have fage yogurt and some fresh berries too.. and of course apples and bananas
    hope this helps! i also make my own salad dressing to change things up but everything is always ready to go.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I myself if I need a quick on the go meal I have some type of Salad in a salad shaker cup with dressing on the side you could add crasisns, nuts, cheese, egg's, meat what every you like. Play with your food that I what I am told till you find something that works

Great! Thanks for the idea!!!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    crock pot a lot of soup and freeze some for later
    salad
    wraps
    check out some crock pot blogs. I like this one a lot!
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Wraps, yes!!!
    I will check out the website too!
    Thanks!!!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    You can prepare for the days you have to go to school by making homemade chicken salad or tuna salad ahead of time - take that with a green salad and light bread... put it together at school before class starts. No highly salted canned chicken meat -- use your own baked chicken leftovers.

You can make egg cups - check out some of the recipe threads here - they are good for a protein packed dinner - and you can just grab that from the refrigerator and take it to work for on the way to school.

Preparedness is the answer to this question. If you can heat up any frozen meals at school or at work, you shouldn't have a problem toting your own healthier version that you prepared for school.

Thanks so much!!! I didn't think about the egg cups for dinner, great idea!!!
    Thank you again!
    Good luck - it does get tiring but it's definitely worth it.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I was going to suggest salads, wraps (give some variety to sandwiches), and soups - Progresso has a lot of good soups and they are low calorie too. You can add in awesome snacks like 90 calorie Fiber One bars, 100 calorie snack packs, Sugar free Jello-O cups (only 10 calories). I also like to snack on the 100 calorie bags of PopSecret Kettle Corn.

I like the rice suggestion above, I'm going to try and make that myself. :smile:

Great idea on the snacks!
    Thanks!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    my family is not big on sandwiches, and i hate cooking every night so i cook one day a week. we tend to eat what is in season.

so right now i have in my fridge
    brown rice
    baby lettuce
    turkey meatloaf (sliced)
    carne asada
    chicken asada
    roasted red peppers roasted potatoe

from that we make different combo they take to school, but fo rme it's easier as we are so active afterschool so instead of fastfood in the car they pack this. i always have fage yogurt and some fresh berries too.. and of course apples and bananas
    hope this helps! i also make my own salad dressing to change things up but everything is always ready to go.

This sounds like my kind of plan, I try to cook everything on Sunday's!
    Great ideas....
    All of them!
    Thanks!