Not hungry......

Options
Lately I have found myself not really hungry in the mornings. Before I started on this journey, I was never a breakfast eater and I started because I have read everywhere that the most successful dieters (lifestyle changers) eat breakfast daily. Does anybody else have this problem and how did you deal with it? Do you just eat a lighter breakfast? It doesn't seem right to eat when I'm not hungry. It seems that is what got me in this mess to start with.

Ladies in particular, do you think it has something to do with hormonal fluctuations? I'm about two weeks before the dreaded TOM and this is when i have the hardest time. I'll not be hungry about two weeks before and then the week before and week of I am like a vaccum cleaner with the calories.

Help!!!:sad:

Replies

• abartle
    abartle Posts: 11
    Options
    as someone who never used to eat breakfast, i had to make a conscience effort every morning to eat something and i have now found that you get used to having breakfast in the mornings...

161592.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I used to never eat in the mornings. I still only eat a little in the mornings. I usually have a fiber one granola bar or oatmeal and some berries or Kashi with soy milk. I am to the point where I am actually hungry in the morning and I can tell the difference in my energy levels. Just think of it as something necessary to start up your metabolism in the morning. :happy:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

those of us with a ton of weight to lose have most likely lost touch with the relationship between hunger and eating.

for years I ate for entertainment and comfort, rarely just because I was really hungry.

this journey for me has included the discipline of eating planned food at scheduled times. I have to learn new behaviors.

Try eating breakfast with the same discipline that you use to shower, brush your teeth, dress, and go to work. Do it because it's right, not simply because you feel like it.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I grew up never having breakfast but when I got married, my husband had grown up the opposite - always having breakfast. So, I would eat cereal or eggs or whatever with him and at this point I actually wake up hungry. Just make healthy choices. Try a fruit or vegetable, some complex carbs, and some protein. That can be oatmeal with frozen cranberries and chopped almonds (one of my favorites), veggie egg-white omelet, english muffin with creme cheese and preserves with some canteloupe... whatever. You get the idea. :smile:
  • kimster
    kimster Posts: 21
    Options
    I was also a non-breakfast-eater, and have turned to protein shakes - not the yucky powdery ones, but there are some good ones by Mix 1 - with good fruity flavors. I am not hungry in the morning either, but this just feels like a drink, and is helping by kick-starting my metabolism for the day....
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until I started at MFP, and read all the posts about getting your metabolism going first thing in the A.M., and keeping it going by eating every 3 hours.

Try starting to flip your day around, gradually getting to where your evening meal/snack is the smallest of the day - you will be ready for breakfast then.
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    as for me , I love BREAKFAST! i love waking up early in the morning, around 6 45 am and making myself BF. Either egg whites, fiber one, fruit, grapefruit juice, etc. there are SOOO many delicious options. My one tip that may help you, is try having an early dinner, a good sized portion, no leaving you hungry. This way, when you wake up, you will be hungry..I swear by this. Because every now and then, (not so often though) when i do have dinner later at night, I dont wake up hungry at all. GOOD LUCK! hope u try to enjoy BF in the future...it REALLY does make you feel better throughout the day:)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your success. You are doing so awesome with your weight loss.

When I read your post, it reminded me of something that I read a long time ago. The theory is that if you don't eat your last meal or snack too late in the day you should be hungry within one hour of waking. Take a look at what time you are having your last meal or snack. Maybe play with the timing to see if that helps.

I've also heard some thoughts that it may be better to eat when you're not hungry. That way you eat better quality food and less of it.

Keep it up! You're doing GREAT.