had a serious cheat day today, and i don't think i feel so g

Options
had a serious cheat day today, and i don't think i feel so guilty.

we've been eating fish and chicken and lots of veggies and salads, basically no red meat for 3 weeks , which has been great. my weigh in is tomorrow, but i've lost about 6 lbs since we started using MFP. anyway, i needed a burger and so did my husband. we hit boardwalk burgers, got burgers and split the smallest size fries. it satisfied my craving and i could seriously go at least 6 weeks without another burger, maybe more i'm sure - especially once i added up the calories/fat consumed. even though it'll kill my calorie limit for the day even further, my diet starts up again with dinner tonight, with some fresh veggie soup.

Replies

• makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    and the best part that has come from all this - first coke in 3 weeks and i am so done with soda!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    IMO, I think it is a bad idea to deprive yourself completely of the foods you love. It is about a lifestyle change not a "diet" where you cut out completely what you like. Just work out a little harder tomorrow. I will "save" up my calories if I know I'm meeting some friends for Mexican later in the week. If I had to completely eliminate all foods I'd never lose any weight. Maybe eat smaller portions, like you did. Again, just my opinion. :) GL to you!
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You had a burger, half a small fries and a coke?

You're not very good at cheat days are you? :laugh:

Sorry, but keep things in perspective - 105lb is 367,500 calories. What you had today is immaterial either way!
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree thats not a "cheat" day thats living! You need to be able to do this in the real world and you are doing that so well done!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you're 300 over. That's nothing.
  • xxstellarxx
    xxstellarxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Man a burger sounds so good right now!! :) But I agree about eating what you want in moderation. Obviously not EVERYTHING you want everyday. However, if you got a craving give in to them once in awhile. Life is to short to not enjoy those "bad" cravings once in awhile. I am going to my mothers house tomorrow and I am planning on having a Volcano sushi roll. There is this awesome thai place that has the best sushi ever by her house and I have been craving it for weeks now. :)
  • Cyndevan
    Options
    I had a major cheat today, but did not realize just how big it was until I got home and looked it up. I had the Loster Ahi Flatbread at Kona Grill. Just lobster, ahi, a little avocado and a drizzle of dressing... Well, it was a whooping 760 calories! WOW! I did not eat all of the flatbread, but still. Live and learn. Now it's off for drinks with friends. I am doomed : (
  • LastHopeForMe
    Options
    Once in a while it's ok to have a cheat day.
    At least, I think so. If you think you're doing a diet and not eating your favourite food, it's harder to go on.

Just try not to eat every day a burger and it will be ok.
    I'm trying to limit my chocolate craving, but I can't stop either. I know it, so I'm trying to change my lifestyle little by little.
    It's hard, as I love food and when I'm angry, sad, upset, tired... I want to eat.

You're doing great!!! :wink:
    Use the satisfaction you had eating that burger to go on with your diet and you'll be perfectly all right!
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree thats not a "cheat" day thats living! You need to be able to do this in the real world and you are doing that so well done!

Dont feel guilty, just enjoy it, sparingly. That sounds like my appetizer on a cheat day. Keep up the good work.

One of my best cheat days was when i ate a whole large Hawaiian style pizza, 2 bluemoons, and a 3 chocolate chip cookies.
  • mamacology
    mamacology Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stay strong!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    had a serious cheat day today, and i don't think i feel so guilty.

we've been eating fish and chicken and lots of veggies and salads, basically no red meat for 3 weeks , which has been great. my weigh in is tomorrow, but i've lost about 6 lbs since we started using MFP. anyway, i needed a burger and so did my husband. we hit boardwalk burgers, got burgers and split the smallest size fries. it satisfied my craving and i could seriously go at least 6 weeks without another burger, maybe more i'm sure - especially once i added up the calories/fat consumed. even though it'll kill my calorie limit for the day even further, my diet starts up again with dinner tonight, with some fresh veggie soup.
    Same here - went to RED LOBSTER, and I feel GREAT!

I am doing some extra cardio later to compensate, but it was a fabulous lunch.
    NO GUILT!
  • TinaG72
    Options
    I totally agree with this.... I don't "diet" I just watch what I eat a little more closely... monitor portion size and eat a little healthier more than not. i had a little "cheat" yesterday too... a fountain soda....hadn't had one in almost a month... tasted funny to me.. not missing much!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty. Maybe if it was every day, but it clearly isn't. You're fine :flowerforyou:
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You have a good attitude. Instead of saying ""The heck with the rest of the day"....you're getting right back on the wagon.

I have two days a week we tend to eat out and since I've been off LC, I've been wanting to try new foods and places we hadn't been before. I keep it in check and as I am looking the menu I use my MFP app on the phone to see how much things are.

The one time I didn't, I had come back from my christmas vacation and my fiance' picked me up and took me to Smashburger, our first time there.

I ordered the smallest burger they had and we split a fry.

My burger was 600+ calories bwahaha. I certainly didn't expect that!! OOpsie!

Live and learn but also I just kept it light for the rest of the day and I lost a pound that week so it all worked out in the end.

You're on your way!!!! Good job!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Have burgers more often. Only make them turkey burgers with whole grain/wheat buns with lettuce and tomato!
  • countryguy05
    Options
    Every Friday is "cheat" day for me after I weigh in that morning. And I still have lost 47 lbs. over a 4.5 month period. It is a day where I go out with co-workers for lunch and maybe with friends for dinner and quench that crave that has been haunting me all week! It cuts back or eliminates my "oops" days during the rest of the week, because I don't give in to the craving since I know Friday is coming. And slowly my Friday "cheat" days have become a little less of a cheat and my cravings are getting a little less intense. I tried the cold turkey approach many times and it is unrealistic. I think it is why I had faild so many times in the past. I am a foodie and to deprive myself of all of the food I love is crazy and unsustainable. Food is everywhere and if you are going to make your diet a lifestyle then you have to live and not hide from the food that tempts you. Also one thing I have learned from past mistakes is if you have an "oops" and take in to many calories one day, don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is a new day and guilt / a feeling of failure is the best way to derail your new lifestyle change! I have to remind myself I did not reach my heaviest weight (362lbs) over night! It was done over 29 years of bad lifestyle choices (high cal food / to little exercise). And my new lifestyle/body will not happen over night either. It is going to be a long journey, but one well worth it!
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think it is a bad idea to deprive yourself completely of the foods you love. It is about a lifestyle change not a "diet" where you cut out completely what you like. Just work out a little harder tomorrow. I will "save" up my calories if I know I'm meeting some friends for Mexican later in the week. If I had to completely eliminate all foods I'd never lose any weight. Maybe eat smaller portions, like you did. Again, just my opinion. :) GL to you!

I completely agree with this. I'll still eat popcorn, or a couple of cookies here and there while I'm trying to lose weight. I may eat that stuff sometimes after I get to my goal weight, so hey, might as well make my snacks realistic now.

To the OP: good job on portion control! As long as you can jump right back on the wagon, you're good!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Know what you mean-I had one today-did not mean it to be a cheat day-actually thought I was doing good. Had a spicy chicken salad from Pei Wei and when I got in and checked it, a whopping 1160 calories -for a SALAD!!!!. :explode:
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i like how people said i suck at cheating, lol! i know how, if i didn't i wouldn't have such a fat *kitten*. i just never counted the calories until now.
  • aeharding1
    aeharding1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday, my daughter loves Wendy's. She likes the frosty after her lunch. So I caved, we went for a burger. I had the smallest cheeseburger and a small fry. I ended up throwing the fries away and regreted the burger all day. I was so sick and felt icky all day. That'll teach me.