Times of the day to eat certain foods...

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
Just wanted to hear some ideas of what times are best for certain foods...
Like I've heard its good to have carbs before a workout and protein after a workout, is that true?
Are there any other tips out there???

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hey, there is not any real answer, after months of tests, I figured the last week what helped me not to suffer from hypoglycemia premices, remove the feeling of hunger, and stay energized :

- Tiny breakfast, mainly coffee for the tonus it gives, white cheese for proteins : Less that 200 kcal (I'll pass all the rest)
    - Snack at 10 am, oatmeal for carbs
    - Snack for lunch, homemade protein + carb cookie
    - Around 3 pm : pastas
    - Around 5 pm (pre-workout) : Whey
    - Post workout : whey
    - Dinner : the less "strategic" ones, my "pleasure" of the day.

So as you see, every two hours, the insulin has made it's job, and If I don't recarb, I feel very weak. That new strategy helped me to be fricking energized the whole day, and forget about the whole 'damn I want to eat, can't clock move quicker ?'

Along that diary, I've oilseeds, they boost you, without them, it would have been hard to be up the whole day :) (Not much, around 20 grams per day)
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference barring you don't have a disease or malfunction. Other than that, it's more about getting in your total macronutrient and caloric needs. It would be in your best interest to eat at or about the same times everyday so your body can develop a hormonal rhythm that you can get used to. Eat when you're comfortable and get your target intake. End. And no, everyone's not different. That's a cop out for people that don't know how the body works. I'm sure you've heard it and watch, you'll hear it a zillion times again.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference barring you don't have a disease or malfunction. Other than that, it's more about getting in your total macronutrient and caloric needs. It would be in your best interest to eat at or about the same times everyday so your body can develop a hormonal rhythm that you can get used to. Eat when you're comfortable and get your target intake. End. And no, everyone's not different. That's a cop out for people that don't know how the body works. I'm sure you've heard it and watch, you'll hear it a zillion times again.

+1 I was just saying yesterday that the whole "3-meals-a-day" is nothing but a cultural burden. People don't listen to their body, the force themselves not to eat the whole morning and end eating oversized proportions at lunch ahah :D
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out is the fact of life but for most normal people with normal eating habits shouldn't be binging on simple carbs when they don't need the energy. If you're sitting around all day, I don't really suggest mowing down 200g of carbohydrates.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Meal and nutrient timing is irrelevant.

You can eat whenever you want and eat whatever you want as long as you are hitting your macronutrient goals.

Spiritcrusher is obviously not familiar with itermittent fasting which is a big movement amongst bodybuilders at the moment. Personally, I eat two meals a day of around 1000 calories each. It just depends on how you like to eat.

But yes, it is good to have carbs before a workout only if your muscle glycogen is depleted. If it isnt (which is the case for most people), it doesnt matter.

Protein timing is irrelevant just as long as you get an adequate amount in at some point each day.
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    Meal and nutrient timing is irrelevant.

You can eat whenever you want and eat whatever you want as long as you are hitting your macronutrient goals.

Spiritcrusher is obviously not familiar with itermittent fasting which is a big movement amongst bodybuilders at the moment. Personally, I eat two meals a day of around 1000 calories each. It just depends on how you like to eat.

But yes, it is good to have carbs before a workout only if your muscle glycogen is depleted. If it isnt (which is the case for most people), it doesnt matter.

Protein timing is irrelevant just as long as you get an adequate amount in at some point each day.

I actually had to edit my post since I didn't really word any of it like I intended. I never argued that eating 1k calories in two sittings was wrong.

Intermittent fasting has NEVER been a big movement amongst real body builders, especially those who compete. The small group of "warrior dieters" don't make up even a small percentage of body builders.

And for any natural body builder with arms bigger than 14" with experience will tell you that meal/protein frequency played a huge role in their training.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    IF has many qualities, for instance, enjoying big meals ahah

I 100% agree about the base fact, and my diet works pretty well on me...
    It's only by testing, and skip habits that you could learn the what and the when the body needs, but require a hell of mastering :)
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    IF has many qualities, for instance, enjoying big meals ahah

I 100% agree about the base fact, and my diet works pretty well on me...
    It's only by testing, and skip habits that you could learn the what and the when the body needs, but require a hell of mastering :)
    I mean, most of the stuff in this thread is fact.

If you're a normal person who wants to be at a healthy weight then the basic guidelines are more than enough.

Bodybuilding requires a lot more personal science but saying that "intermittent fasting" is becoming huge in body building is hilarious. Even Mr. Olympias, who nowadays can spend up to $20-30k on one steroid/hgh cycle will eat with spot on frequency/timing. There's a reason for that but again that's just specifically for bodybuilding.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Ow man, I wasn't talking about the IF as a revolution :p, it's our friend's rsmith89 opinion :)

But I read tons of pages on it, and it does indeed have qualities (hormons stimulation, stuborn fat, psychological effect of forget about the 6 meals per day, etc...)

I'm just telling what you both said : a little knowledge so you don't mess up, but a diet that suits you, thus you could maintain on a long-term ;)
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with what everyone else has said previously :-)

Carbs and protein are good (some would say essential) post workout to replenish stores.

I workout early in the morning so I just go with a black coffee.

Carbs are generally thought to be better for you in the evenings as your body is less insulin sensitive and they also help with sleep.

All the cereal manufactorers have gotten us programmed into thinking processed grains are a healthy start to the day... thanks Mr kelloggs! ;-)
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with what everyone else has said previously :-)

Carbs and protein are good (some would say essential) post workout to replenish stores.

I workout early in the morning so I just go with a black coffee.

Carbs are generally thought to be better for you in the evenings as your body is less insulin sensitive and they also help with sleep.

All the cereal manufactorers have gotten us programmed into thinking processed grains are a healthy start to the day... thanks Mr kelloggs! ;-)

if im at work and have to stay up until late hours and only aloud 7 hours kip (in the most uncomfortable bed EVER, so i dont actually sleep very well) i have a small box of cereal the 30g boxes. i find after one of those i sleep much better if i dont have one im staring into space for hours...... dont know y this is but it helps me.
    i must admitt i dont eat carbs much other than that
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I try to include a lean protein source in all of my meals, but other then that just stive for balance and it will all work out! :)
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter besides eating protein within 90 minutes of finishing your workout,
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink orange juice immediately after brushing your teeth and you'll be fine.
  • Sarareneephoto
    Sarareneephoto Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been told that taking a protein drink after your intense workout is pretty important. The closer to the time you end the faster it gets into your system.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter besides eating protein within 90 minutes of finishing your workout,

Why do you think this matters?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    . Even Mr. Olympias, who nowadays can spend up to $20-30k on one steroid/hgh cycle will eat with spot on frequency/timing. There's a reason for that but again that's just specifically for bodybuilding.

EL-OH-EL

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Many bodybuilders obsess over timing but this does not mean that this obsession has any relevance.

Not to mention the fact that the practices of steroid-users has absolutely no relevance to natural trainees.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    is that true?

Nope. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want, provided that you are hitting your nutritional goals.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Yup, that whole specific timing is a myth. In fact just make sure you provide the nutriments you need for your goals. The body is regulated by himself :)