running vs other cardio

Options
I think I need some input. I recently signed up to do a 5k Mud Run. I guess I should add that I am NOT a runner at all. I have really never tried to run unless I was playing a sport or something. I have however completed the Insanity workout twice, do Zumba regularly, and am currently doing another high cardio workout.

On Sunday I am meeting up with my friend to start training to run. To all you runners out there...how does it compare to other cardio? Im wondering if I wil be able to complete even 1/2 mile on day one or if I'm going to absulutely die.

Any advice, suggestions, comments?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Running is, in my experience, much harder than most other cardio. Do intervals, build up slowly. Because you're already pretty fit, you'll likely be able to do more than most new runners, but don't push it too hard.

But it's great. You'll love it. Especially once you start building up to decent distances.

Nothing makes me feel more confident about my body, or more physically capable, than running.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I just started a 5k program and I have months of experiences doing my aerobic videos of 30-60 minutes and let me tell you...I SUCK at running. LOL :) For me the breathing gets hard after 90 seconds so I am glad I started it slowly. But, just because I am this way in no way means that this will be your experience.

Is it a beginners running club?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the most challenging of the many forms of cardio, IMO. Assuming you're following some type of structured training program like C25K, just stick to the program & you'll be fine.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    lol..Its not a structured program. Just a friend of mine who runs for fun and signed up for the race with me. I am so nervous that we will get started and I will tire out within the first few minutes. Did I mention that she is taking me somewhere with hills? EEEK!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should be fine cardiovascularly since you seem to be pretty fit already. Just keep on breathing and slow down if your shins start to hurt!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K, and I still run. I am NOT a runner, I don't love it yet, but I no longer dispise it.

I used to say I would never run unless I was being chased with a knife. It burns GREAT calories though.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    A mud run is about the fun, not running fast. So don't even sweat it. Run a few times to get used to the motion and breathing, since you never do it. Enjoy it!!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't answer your question! lol
    As a runner, it is really difficult to get my heart rate up doing anything else, so yeah...running is harder! Also, the pounding your body take is hard on your joints, so make sure you have appropriate footwear. Still, like I said before, you seem pretty fit so I'm sure you can handle it!
  • shortandfeisty
    Options
    I find it tougher than other cardio. Start off slow, walk when you need to and work at pacing yourself so that you don't overdo it too quickly. I also find that rocking music helps. Have fun!!
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just be very aware of you knees! If your knees bother you, stop running. I was running and ran through the pain. It stopped after a while. Later, I found out I had worn away cartiledge! Find some exercises to build the muscles around your knees to support the effort of running. Have fun!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of sites on the internet where you can download 5K training schedules.

Go to runnersworld.com or google Jeff Galloway and go to his website! He has an excellent run/walk program! Good luck to you! BTW....make sure you have proper running shoes! It's the single most important piece of equipment needed in running!
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I don't do the mud running thing but in the old days when I played football and paintball, we played in the mud all the time. I remember how much more work I had to do to lift my legs up because of the weight of the mud and suction of it as well. Maybe add some kind of strength and stretching routines that help improve that motion. Also, maybe add more weight around ankles so that its easier when you race without them?
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sounds like a fun run to do.

I am an experienced runner and one of the biggest challenges I see for newbies is setting the right pace. It is tempting to try to go all out, only to find yourself burning out after less than 1km.

I suggest starting with walk/jog intervals. Jog between two markers (light poles maybe) then walk between the next two. Do this at least the first time. If it is too easy then extend the intervals next time. You will build a good base and not scare yourself off.

Keep your shoulders relaxed and say to yourself in your head "breathe, relax" and this will help.

Good luck!

Donna
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Breathing is the hardest part. Think of it as a slow jog, not really a run. No one is chasing you, it doesnt have to be fast. Enjoy!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of sites on the internet where you can download 5K training schedules.

Go to runnersworld.com or google Jeff Galloway and go to his website! He has an excellent run/walk program! Good luck to you! BTW....make sure you have proper running shoes! It's the single most important piece of equipment needed in running!

This!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I started on my treadmill doing 2 minute walking/2 minute running. Then i went to a fat loss workout on my treadmill and i usually do level 4 which is 2 minutes walking/2 minutes running but the running is uphill at an incline of 6. This is a hard workout for me and i usually am sweating a lot.

Now i can easily run 3 miles without stopping without too much of an incline (1 or 2 max). I was amazed at how easy it was for me, but i think it was because i was running uphill for the 2 minutes.
  • cmlucia
    cmlucia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just started this website yesterday and I too am starting to run again, after 8 years off. For me, the beginning is horrible. But keep going, slow and steady, and it gets better. For myself, there's nothing better for weight loss. And at the end of your run, whether its 1/2 mile or 5, I bet you'll be so proud of yourself. Let me know how it goes-remember, slow and steady at first.

Best of Luck:smile:
  • aeboone24
    Options
    I completed C25K, and I still run. I am NOT a runner, I don't love it yet, but I no longer dispise it.

I used to say I would never run unless I was being chased with a knife. It burns GREAT calories though.

can i just say WTG you look awesome Brandi~
    As for running, you will get into it, your cardio is already built up... it is different but just pace yourself~ there is always someone going to be behind you (the person sitting on the counch or sidelines) so enjoy it. MudRuns are a little more challenging so if you have time run a normal 5k and then just have FUN with the mudrun :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

can i just say WTG you look awesome Brandi~
    As for running, you will get into it, your cardio is already built up... it is different but just pace yourself~ there is always someone going to be behind you (the person sitting on the counch or sidelines) so enjoy it. MudRuns are a little more challenging so if you have time run a normal 5k and then just have FUN with the mudrun :)

Thank you :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you have time definitely have a try at couch to 5K - I couldn't run at all when I started it in June and now I can run 10K without thinking about it too much. The only thing is that you may become addicted to running - watch out!