weighing in to often?

Options
When I start losing weight , i can seen to stop getting on the scales , every day !!!. What do you think should i try to resist or can it be helpful

Replies

• soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Pick one day a week and weigh yourself the same time on that day. Mine was Thursday morning right after I went to the bathroom. Now that I am maintaining I weigh every morning after I go to the bathroom before I eat anything or workout. When you are trying to lose you will drive yourself crazy if you weigh every day.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've heard two things --

1) Check your weight daily, preferably when you first wake up and before breakfast.

2) Weigh yourself once per week.

I don't see the harm in either method. I check it daily, just to ensure I'm where I need to be, and not too far gone. Another good guage is to see how your clothes fit on you. If a pair of pants fit too tight, when they normally fit baggy, that's usually a good indicator.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am a card-carrying scale-obsessed fool. I hop on all the time, but I only officially weigh in on Friday mornings. It is a hard habit to break and can drive you CRAZY!!!
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Our bodies change daily. So sometimes when we stand on the scale and gain a few pounds (that is probably water) we can get upset and sabotage ourselves. Standing on the scale once a week is best.
  • Coffee0410
    Coffee0410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm only stepping on the scale once a week....Monday mornings. I dont want to become a scaleaholic *_*
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily I like to make sure that I havent gained or lost too much all at once. I eat different stuff everyday and I like to know how it reacts to my body. I say do what you feel it is what you need to do.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you check your weight daily, first thing in the morning is best, you can see what you did yesterday how it affected your weight. If your losing, then what you did the day before was good and you need to keep doing that. If your gaining, look at how you can change what your doing to get back on track.
  • Linz1087
    Options
    I honestly believe it depends on your mind set, if you give up easily because you do not see a significant loss every day than it would be better for you to go 5-7 days between weigh ins. But if you're like me, that constant reminder of the number helps keep you going than weigh in every day. I myself weigh in twice a day because it is what works for me, once in the morning and once at night. My husband thinks this is extreme (and honestly I even do it 3 times a day occasionally) but it is what keeps me going. But most of the time I weigh in the morning when I first get up and right before I go to bed.
  • peckle123
    peckle123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks guys its great to know whats working for others
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Weigh as often as you want but consider the events, environment and stats at that moment.
    What is recommended is to do it at the same time of the day (or the same weekday, week, month), same conditions, same place and same scale.
    I weigh myself daily, same time, same scale, same place, naked after no. 1 done. I've noticed patterns in the last 3 months and they indeed make sense. I like numbers.
    You can be frustrated as well if you weigh once/week. Here is a scenario: you don't lose weight in 1 one week and then feel frustrated that nothing happened. In the other hand you weigh yourself daily and if you don't lose weight you say yourself that it's been only 1 day, tomorrow is another day.
    What 'm trying to say is that you can have frustrations in any situation. 1 day, 1 week or 1 month.
    Water weight or other conditions (constipation or opposite). It is true but you anyways consider the average per couple of days.
    There is only 1 secret. BE CONSISTENT with any method you chose.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I've lost weight before, I weighed myself daily, wrote it down, then averaged the weights at the end of the week to come up with my "average weight". AAnd every single week, my "average weight" went down, even if only a bit. This helped me not get so upset about fluctuations due to water retention. I've never seen the point of weighing in on one particular day of the week. It might just be the day after I'd eaten some soup and put on 3 lbs of water weight overnight.... So weighing daily but focusing on the trend in your average weight might be one way to do it.

This time around (and I'm into my 4th week -- yippee!!) I have weighed myself only once since January 5th. I may weigh myself in another couple of weeks. But I'm not focusing on the scale, for the first time in my life. I'm focusing on hitting my exercise goals and my calorie goals and tracking every single bite I eat on MFP, weighing and measuring everything. The reason I'm not weighing myself is that for the last four years, every time I got close to breaking below 200, I blew it. I sabotaged myself. This way, if I don't weigh myself for several more weeks, I'm hoping I'll have broken that psychological barrier and be back into the 190's and back on my way to my happier weight (around 160.)

My clothes are fitting amazingly better, so I know I'm going in the right direction!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I start losing weight , i can seen to stop getting on the scales , every day !!!. What do you think should i try to resist or can it be helpful
    I weigh every day - no stress or drama.
    I track the trend and just keep it simple.

Also, body fat is a solid variable to consider.
    Here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • storejerky
    Options
    I weigh every day - no stress or drama.
    I track the trend and just keep it simple.

Also, body fat is a solid variable to consider.
    Here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Same here! I like putting my data in excel to produce a nice graph! :)
  • anewme99
    Options
    I agree with the dailies! It gives immediate feedback for your actions the day before. The key is don't get frustrated-a little too much salt and you retain water, or maybe you did a strenuous workout-causing some muscle gain-that will equal an increase. (that is the most frustrating one! You work your butt off then gain weight-but it is a good gain bc the extra muscle will help you loose more weight!)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but only have an "official reading" once a week.

More importantly is the way things fit. I've only lost 4 lbs but dropped at least one pants size. And the ones I bought 10 days ago are almost too big.

For some, a daily weigh in drives them crazy...there are fluctuations. For me, it works. And I'm not left with any surprises on my "official" day.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    It's helpful. In fact, I was just reading that it's a good idea to weigh yourself every day.

Weighing yourself even once a week is important in forcing you to monitor and track your progress and goals and hold yourself accountable.

I went for many years without stepping on a scale at all and my weight climbed out of control to a high that I didn't expect. It's easy to lose track.

I started this journey only weighing once a week but found it wasn't enough and started weighing every morning.

However, I only record new losses in MFP. On the other hand, I log once a week in an Excel journal the lowest weight for the week. I like to keep track of the number of weeks which MFP doesn't do.

So, keeping a record is important even if you don't want to place as much "weight" or importance of the number on the scale as how your clothes fit or what a tape measure tells you.

Every morning works for me.
  • CiaraH18
    CiaraH18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YES! Once a week is plenty! I'm only telling you this because I'm scale obsessed but I've come to know that the scale can be the next discouraging thing next to you freaking out about not losing weight!