Help with Exercise please

Options
Hello all,
I've been forced to start a new medication that will help to save my vision (i.e., going off of it is not an option). However, It has drained me of all of my energy, I ache everywhere and I'm tired all of the time. Walking my dog takes it out of me so much that I need to lay down. Further, another side effect is tingling in my hands and feet, so if I do walk-my feet will physically hurt like they've fallen asleep. The drug is leeching potassium from my body, along with all other fluids, faster than I can re-hydrate. Still, I am trying to do what I can do to get those energy levels up. Does anyone have any suggestions of exercises I could do while I work through these effects?

Replies

• EdithClark
    Options
    I'm sure its still cold up there, but swimming is what first comes to mind to me. Maybe try that when it warms up. If you have time, maybe a couple short walks? Or bike riding?
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor about safety of exercising? If you're having a problem staying hydrated, any exercise other than walking might not be the safest thing. Maybe riding a recumbent bike. I'd look at dietary habits, multivitamins and things like juicing. Green juice gives me a greater energy burst than anything I've tried.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes, swimming, or water exercise of any kind, like water aerobics, or just walking/jogging in the pool. It is so safe, relaxing, and stimulating at the same time. Getting in a pool always wakes you up and is a fabulous burn.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you are able to stabelize.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yes, swimming, or water exercise of any kind, like water aerobics, or just walking/jogging in the pool. It is so safe, relaxing, and stimulating at the same time. Getting in a pool always wakes you up and is a fabulous burn.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you are able to stabelize.

Carefull though. Even though you are in the water you DO still sweat and lose water, you just don't feel it.
  • RachelSusannah2012
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor about safety of exercising? If you're having a problem staying hydrated, any exercise other than walking might not be the safest thing. Maybe riding a recumbent bike. I'd look at dietary habits, multivitamins and things like juicing. Green juice gives me a greater energy burst than anything I've tried.

I need to do this. I actually just read an article that talked about the danger of water loss, but even more critical is the danger of sweating out potassium. It can send your heart into arrhythmia and cause life-threatening complications. I may need to wait until they check my chemistry to assess my potassium level.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to the doctor to make sure you're being safe, but what I would do is take your normal exercise and break it up into smaller increments. Try going for three 10-minute walks instead of one 30-minute walk. It's worth giving it a try to see if it helps. Otherwise, the doctor should be able to help you get ideas so you know what's safe.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds pretty serious. I would rely on my doctor for information about appropriate exercise. We're just people on the internet and the complications you describe sound like a big deal.
  • seaoftears
    seaoftears Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone: Walk away the pounds
    Its is a lighter/moderate exercise program.
    It all consists of walking related exercise.....
    To me this is good if u are just getting started, or trying to get back into the groove of things..
    Also if u can't do too much.