Pregnancy stretch marks after weight loss???

Options
Ok ladies, I have a burning question. I'm a mother of 2 young children (3yrs & 15 mos) and even with my best efforts at prevention during pregnancy I ended up with stretch marks on my belly and thighs. Not to mention the still present (although SLOWLY disappearing) after baby tummy bulge and extra skin. I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula for Stretch Marks body lotion religiously, but I worry that even as I loose more weight these stretch marks are not going to fade. I'm of Irish/Scottish decent so I have a naturally fair complexion. I freckle, but can tan as well.....eventually anyway. And I scar very easily in general. Some of my stretch marks are very deep and vary from skin tone to pink to even purple in color.

My ultimate goal is to of course strut my reclaimed fit stuff around a beach in a bikini, but if I have flat abs covered in stretch marks what's the point? :grumble: I've looked into a couple last resort medspa type treatments, but they are all so expensive and some can be painful. Any advise or tips, comfort or encouragement that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :heart:

Replies

• CanDurkin
    Options
    bump
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me - sorry not sure you want to hear this but 5.5 years later I still have mine! Not as bad as they were but I won't be rushing to buy a bikini!
  • tigerlilydina
    tigerlilydina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    im in 2 minds bout this 1 is i hate the look nd wouldnt want any1 else 2 look @ my stretch marks but on the other hand its from havin my 2 beautiful kids and wouldnt change it for anything!
    ive had some1 who says he loves women who show of there stretch marks as its shows the world they are proud 2 be a mom, but dnt think i could show my stretchmarks of though x
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are scars, they will fade with time (and help from the cocoa butter) but they will never completely disappear. I'm pretty sure I have pretty much the same stretch marks after my second pregnancy that I had after my first, but they are darker now. They aren't as dark as they were immediately after my pregnancy though. They may become even less noticeable with weight loss and some toning. Think of them as badges from the children you have carried.
  • heatherandrigo
    Options
    :happy: Mederma for stretch marks! It works wonders, even the deepest stretch marks, coco butter and bio-oil didnt really work on me. Use Mederma for a couple months and you'll see dramatic improvement.
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    :happy: Mederma for stretch marks! It works wonders, even the deepest stretch marks, coco butter and bio-oil didnt really work on me. Use Mederma for a couple months and you'll see dramatic improvement.

I've seen the ads for Mederma claiming that it was amazing, but it's pretty expensive for a small bottle so I didn't want to splurge without a referral from an actual user. Thanks so much for the input.

Thanks everyone else for the input too!
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I had horrible stretch marks with my kiddos, mainly the first two. The second two didn't give me any new ones nor made my older ones look any worse. My oldest son is seven and I still have mine. They've faded, yeah, but they're there and still noticeable for sure :\.
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    Maybe I'll do a Mederma challenge and take progress pictures. Although I'd have to get my courage up to actually post them. :embarassed:
  • goingbicyclecrazy
    Options
    I tried to post a pic instead of a link, but I am not sure how to do that on here. So here it is.

http://www.drmomma.org/2011/05/birthmarks.html

A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn.

One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes,
    and slept in the most perfect darkness.

One for every time you had the hiccups.
    One for every dream you dreamed within me.

It isn't very pretty anymore.
    Some may even think it's ugly.

That's OK.

It was your home.

It held you until my arms could,
    and for that, I will always find something beautiful in it.

~ Cassie Fox
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    THERE IS A GREAT LOTION YOU CAN USE JERGEN FIRMING LOTION I USE IT ALL THE TIME AND IT FIRM THE BODY
    :-)
    JENNIFER
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    I tried to post a pic instead of a link, but I am not sure how to do that on here. So here it is.

http://www.drmomma.org/2011/05/birthmarks.html

A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn.

One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes,
    and slept in the most perfect darkness.

One for every time you had the hiccups.
    One for every dream you dreamed within me.

It isn't very pretty anymore.
    Some may even think it's ugly.

That's OK.

It was your home.

It held you until my arms could,
    and for that, I will always find something beautiful in it.

~ Cassie Fox

That is beautiful! Thanks!

I'd still like to get rid of them though. Lol. I'll keep the ones that I have on my love handles for remembrance if I can get rid of the ones that are on the middle of my stomach. :wink:
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I totally uderstand your pain with stretch marks! I am Scotts-Irish decent. Redhair, fair skin... Allergic to the sun! LOL! Anyways, during my pregnancy all was well till about month 8. That is when my son started to pack on the pounds quickly and my stretch marks started to set in. I had been religious with applying coc-butter and other things. But it doesn't matter in some cases. If the skin isn't prepared to stretch far enough fast enough, your bound to get them.

Like most women after birth it took me a while to slim down, or almost slim down. LOL! I got within about 10 pounds of my starting weight only to struggle with the last few pounds then hurt myself. So I was out of the excersize regimine for a while. Packed on 20 pounds at least. And couldn't keep my energy levels up to drop the weight.... Long story short, I found something to help my energy levels and started to excersize again. This time I have lost 20 pounds or so. Yay! So the Stretch Marks, Did they go away? No. But, they did get better! The flatter my belly gets the more the stretch marks disappear. Not totally, but they are not obvious unless the light hits them the right way. Also we are "Clear" people are blessed with great skin for skars! The longer you have then, the lighter they become! Yay! So don't worry. Give it time. They will eventually fade in color. ;)
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your words of encouragement and recommendations. :heart:
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Mine have faded, but they are still there. I would love to see if anything works!