40/30/30 diaries

Options
Hi there! I've been with mfp for 125 days now and have had moderate success. I am looking to kick it up a notch and focus a bit more on my diet and "clean" it up a bit. Nothing too crazy, baby steps. Anyway, I was looking for menu ideas that would help me bump up the protein and cut back a little on the carbs. I would really appreciate it if any of you that follow 40c/30p/30f, or something similar, would let me have a look at your diary so I can get some ideas and maybe help me with meal planning. Also, if you are so inclined, feel free to take a gander at my food diary and offer advice. I know that I have a long way to go. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what order your percentages are in. I try to do 30 carbs, 30 protein and 40 fat. Since I follow South Beach my carbs are from whole grains, veggies and a little fruit. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a 40/30/30 cpf diary if you want to take a look.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I do egg whites a couple of times a week but I could bump that up. Yogurt is one that I don't think of as much as I should.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try to do 30 fat, 40 protein, 30 carbs. Not saying that my diary reflects it, I have a hard time trying to get all my protein.
  • aregensb
    Options
    Lowfat cottage cheese is a good source of protein as well. You can add more natural proteins to your diet by eating more legumes (beans, lentils, sprouted beans). You can add these to salad or whatever you want. I use whey protein to help me meet my protein goal, but I don't have it too often. Today is actually an anomaly because I've had a difficult time hitting my macros (so I've used protein powder about 4 times). Usually though, my servings of protein powder are limited to 0 to 2 per day.

I try to make sure most of my carbs come from veggies and fruits rather than bread or rice or pasta. I haven't eradicated them from my diet, but I just tend to eat vegetables instead.
  • MinaAriel
    Options
    Beans!!!! I think that might be a very good option for me. I have a husband who is strictly a meat and potatoes guy and two picky little boys. I find myself catering to them at dinner so the best place for me to pack a wallop of protein would be during the day. Beans for lunch or ready made to be used as a side at dinner would be something I would like to try. I'm a person who likes variety in their meals but maybe having beans on a regular basis won't get too boring.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I try to do 30 fat, 40 protein, 30 carbs. Not saying that my diary reflects it, I have a hard time trying to get all my protein.
    ^ pretty much me - though i dont usually have issues with protein unless we're short on groceries lol
    but i almost always go over on carbs - trying to work on that.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am 40/30/30....feel free to peek in anytime :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I admit I am a 40, 30, 30 and take a shot at the protein most of the time, lol. Feel free to check out my diary. Beans are pretty awesome, lots of fiber and protein. They also come in lots of flavors so try looking for the different kinds. however, canned beans have a lot of salt (sodium) so be cautious with them. I know the feeling, I have my own breakfast and lunch but often end up making two dinners but it's mostly cause they want salty foods which I can't have, so I just make like spaghetti, they have the salty sauce, I use a not salt added one. Similar but slightly different.
  • aregensb
    Options
    Canned beans do have a lot of sodium. A few months ago, I switched to dried beans. I usually soak and then cook up a whole bag at once and then freeze it into portions for whenever I need it. It's very easy and much better for you. I think the flavor is better too.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Canned beans do have a lot of sodium. A few months ago, I switched to dried beans. I usually soak and then cook up a whole bag at once and then freeze it into portions for whenever I need it. It's very easy and much better for you. I think the flavor is better too.

using dried beans but it never occurred to me to freeze them (Duh! kitchen is NOT my room in the house!) especially in portions. Thanks!

I work toward 45% protein, but it's really hard to get there. Feel free to look at my diary. For other carbs I have only whole grains, fresh veggies & fruits, frozen fruits with no sugar. At this stage I am not eating any white sugar or flour, only stevia or splenda for sweeteners, except after weight training I may have a TBS of honey
  • MinaAriel
    Options
    I really like the idea of making dried and then freezing them. I already make little spaghetti squash lasagnas and large batches of soups to freeze so it really won't be much more effort. It's definitely more economical. Does anyone know if it changes the consistency? I've made lentil soup before and it did not freeze well.
  • aregensb
    Options
    I don't think it really changes the consistency. So far, I've only done it with black beans, chickpeas, and red kidney beans. For your reference, you can freeze all the chickpeas together in a big bag. Once they're frozen, they separate very easily by banging them on the counter a couple times. Then you can use a measuring cup to scoop out however many you need. Black beans and kidney beans are a different story.. they clump together and are like a solid block of beans, so it's much better to separate them before freezing into different bags.

Lentils don't require the soaking and cooking time that beans do so I don't cook those in advance.