Too much protein??

Options
Okay, so I think I already know the answer to this, but can you have too much protein in your diet? I feel like when I log my food at the end of the day I am always very much over on my protein. I drink TONS of water so I don't think I'm too worried about it, but just needed to make sure :happy:

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    What percentage of your calories does protein make up?

Yes you can eat too much protein in the sense that you can eat too much of any macronutrient. If your body has a problem processing protein, it might also be an issue, but there's no reason to think that's the case absent some evidence for it. Drinking lots of a water is good, as you seem to know.

MFP's settings are a little for protein by default.
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Today my protein was maybe 10% of my calorie intake for the day? Doesn't seem too much, but I don't know.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The MFP default setting for protein seems way too low; I always strive to go over the alloted protein for the day. If it's currently only 10%, you are fine eating more.
  • emilioleija
    Options
    MFP says I should be getting about 56g but my plan calls for closer to 100g. I fluctuate between 28% and 38% depending on the day.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat a gram per pound of body weight.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

Me too, or as close as possible.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have read by MANY trainers' plans that you are supposed to eat 1 gram protein per your pound of body weight. MFPs is actually really low. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Mtnbear334
    Mtnbear334 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too seem to go over my alloted budget on daily protein. So here is what we do about it. Buy Super Enzymes at your local natural food store. They help break down proteins in the digestive track right after you consume a meal. That may not change what the reading might be at the end of the day, but if you've taken enzymes, you can be assured something was done about it.
  • I have read by MANY trainers' plans that you are supposed to eat 1 gram protein per your pound of body weight. MFPs is actually really low. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've heard to eat .8g per kg of weight (MFP by this standard is closer to 63.5-64% of weight in kg). However, a trainer I was with recommended .8g per pound. Depending on the intensity of your workouts not all of the protein will be absorbed so higher levels are suitable. Extremely high levels of protein can damage your kidneys though, however you'd have to have quite a bit in your diet consistently.
  • aregensb
    Options
    I heard that .8 grams per pound is the minimum daily recommendation for protein. I eat 1g per pound because I'm trying to build muscle. Either way, I wouldn't be concerned with too much protein if your intake is anywhere in the .8-1g per pound of body weight. Drink plenty of water and get your fiber. (I changed my fiber goal to 35g/day, daily recommended is about 25g I think.
  • I heard that .8 grams per pound is the minimum daily recommendation for protein. I eat 1g per pound because I'm trying to build muscle. Either way, I wouldn't be concerned with too much protein if your intake is anywhere in the .8-1g per pound of body weight. Drink plenty of water and get your fiber. (I changed my fiber goal to 35g/day, daily recommended is about 25g I think.

I may be mistaken, but .8 grams per kg. I aim for .8-1g per pound also though. :smile:
  • aregensb
    Options
    I heard that .8 grams per pound is the minimum daily recommendation for protein. I eat 1g per pound because I'm trying to build muscle. Either way, I wouldn't be concerned with too much protein if your intake is anywhere in the .8-1g per pound of body weight. Drink plenty of water and get your fiber. (I changed my fiber goal to 35g/day, daily recommended is about 25g I think.

I may be mistaken, but .8 grams per kg. I aim for .8-1g per pound also though. :smile:

Sorry, my mistake! I wrote the wrong thing. Thank you. :smile: Daily recommended intake of protein is .8g/kg.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Actually you should eat 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass, not per pound of body weight.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    That's why I tend to stick with dealing in percentages. It's simpler than tackling the g per lb or kg of body weight or lean body mass discussion
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight.... im at 45% protein 35% carbs and 20% fat
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's very helpful!!