Always over on proteins. Is this a big problem?

Options
Every day I log all of my food and exercise. For some reason, no matter what I eat, I always end up over my suggested protein. Is this a really big issue???

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a bit.. Many people here feel MFP set to default settings is light on protein. Protein is very beneficial. It is satisfying and will help retain lean body mass while on a calorie restricted diet.

IMO, Fat is OK to go over too, as long as it is a healthy fat such as olive oil.

Carbs, on the other hand, are the devil. I love them, but the more I eat the more I want........ :)

Search the posts and you will see this comes up frequently, probably daily.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I usually quadruple the "recommended" amount everyday. Oops!
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal? Percentage and total.
  • lml1981
    Options
    My daily goal is 52. That is what MFP automatically set me to.
  • Annebrad
    Options
    My dietician told me to eat at least 80-100 grams per day but you could go has high as 1 gram per 1 pound of body weight. I aim for 124 g.
  • drczr
    drczr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going over protein is not bad. In fact, if you read about protein and strength training, you will learn that others are of the opinion that you should eat quite a bit more protein when you are strength training. Too much protein can be harmful for people with kidney failure but for healthy people, it is okay to exceed the recommended limits, within reason of course.

The only things I try not to exceed is sodium because too much sodium can cause hypertension. I would also prefer not to exceed the sugar recommendations but I have given up because with just eating a lot of fruits and not even eating chocolate or sweets, I always exceed the sugar recommendations.

I also figure I can't overdo it with fiber so I always try to exceed fiber recommendations.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    My daily goal is 52. That is what MFP automatically set me to.

You're perfectly fine eating your body weight in grams of protein. More if you want.