Replies

• DoreenDC
    DoreenDC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I understand....thank you! ;)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yep - MFP had my calories at 1350/day, and when I did some research, every other website was telling me to be eating around 1800 for weight loss. (I have a desk job, which all the sites factored in.)

I changed my calories to 1700 last week and I'm going to see how that works out.

MFP had you at 1350 NET cals. NET. That means if you burn 400 thorugh exercise, you have to eat it. Getting you to your 1700.

These threads are killing me. I gotta get off them.
    It's maddening....
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP gives me a caloric goal to lose weight at the rate I want before exercise. 1900 calories. If I exercise 500 calories and eat them back as intended with the program here I'm at 2400 for the day.

My nutritionist/ dietitian (had both was a family health clinic setting) had me at 2400 calories and expected me to burn 500 calories a day to build my deficit... exact same calorie count, math applied differently. I'm at 1900 calories after exercise here same as the first line.

MFP's way is more realistic for me, because I sure don't exercise every day.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that different calculators/methods use different assumptions, different formulas, etc as the basis for their recommendations.

You have to pick ONE and stick with that ONE. If you try to take aspects of one method and mix them with pieces of another you're bound to run into problems.

Use MFP or don't... but don't mix it with pieces of other methods.

Good point. :) noted.
  • Joy_ofwtloss50
    Joy_ofwtloss50 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like MFP and I'm doing well and like have friended some great people. I haven't been too concerned about my total calories, what I am concerned about is the food data base. Has anyone else noted it needs to be "cleaned up?" I've seen some brand name foods with multiple entries....and sometimes the nutrition info is different. And I have to scroll thru them so many more to find what I'm looking for. Other sites I've used in the past did not have as large a data base, but were more flexible so could change from oz to grams to 1/2 cup etc for the same food. I also don't like scrolling thru multiple brand name foods to find, say "orange"

That said, I still love MFP.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you can "clean up" your search results for your "orange" to avoid getting the tropicana OJ, or Terry's chocolate orange etc by searching instead for 'orange raw' it will at least cut down the unnecessary results.

I agree though in that I just added ham for dinner, which is straight from the butcher not retail but searching for ham gives you a ham and cheese sandwich or ham and eggs or... I just want the dang ham to log it ;)
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yep - MFP had my calories at 1350/day, and when I did some research, every other website was telling me to be eating around 1800 for weight loss. (I have a desk job, which all the sites factored in.)

I changed my calories to 1700 last week and I'm going to see how that works out.

MFP had you at 1350 NET cals. NET. That means if you burn 400 thorugh exercise, you have to eat it. Getting you to your 1700.

These threads are killing me. I gotta get off them.

I'm not a noob. I understand what "NET!!!!!!" calories are. So when I wasn't working out regularly, I was at a plateau for a month when I was religiously eating 1350-1390 NET!!!!! calories a day...which ya know, should have still made me lose since "MFP creates a deficit already."

And um, I understand I have to eat my exercise calories. I DO. So when I did exercise, I was eating anywhere from 1700-2000 NET!!!!! calories a day.

Please do get off, because apparently you take one thing and go off on a tangent without knowing the full story. Funny how when I increased my calories, I started losing again. Every body is different and functions differently. My body will not continually lose weight with only 1350-1390 NET!!!!! calories a day.