I need recipe ideas for NON- Dairy and NO Meat meals!!

Options
AshleyNicole8686
AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
HELP! I have recently found out I am majorly lactose intolerant and also I really can only handle eating meat a few times a week. Not because I want to be vegetarian or vegan or anything, I just don't like the texture lately. I also don't want to be stuck cooking and not getting to eat it but I'm so tired of being sick all the time from just eating it anyway. I have a family of four so I need actually need dinner recipes. Thanks :)

Replies

• juliet1178
    juliet1178 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good substitutes for meat are mushrooms or beans. Try making your favorite dishes and substituting black beans for red meat or white beans for chicken.
  • ncbill
    ncbill Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    two yummy meals I made recently

saute onions 1, till light brown, add tomatoes 2-3, mushrooms 8oz, and squash 1, sun dried tomatoes 2tbsp and cook about 20 minutes covered. I ate on top of a whole grain pita, but I think it would be better on noodles. My intent was to saute a portabello cap but they only had them in packages of 5, and make a sandwich NOTE this will be a little runny - you can thicken it up by omitting the tomatoes or leaving the lid off. Vary it by adding eggplant or spinach
    spices oregano, basil, spicy paprika, black pepper and a little .5tsp of better than bullion veggie broth any time you want to add a little flavor I typically choose this, ham stock or chicken stock as opposed to salt

Rice and beans, saute 1 onion, add 2 cups water bring to a boil, add I use 1tsp ham stock, a bunch of cumin, and spicy peppers (chipotle/jalapeno) - 1 cup rice reduce to simmer after about 10 minutes add a can of black beans and cook another 10.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Buy an acorn squash or carnival squash.
    Cut in half. Scoop out the innards, leave the thick fleshy stuff around the edges.
    Stuff it with veggies (I like brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, mushrooms, ect.) and throw it in the oven on 375 for no more than a half hour.
    It's so sweet, soft, fibrous and nutritious. No oil, either. You really don't need it.

Another good tip - take any kind of pasta (I use Trader Joe's new corn pasta; can't have a lot of processed grain) and boil it in water with a tsp of sea salt. Drain and set aside. Toss veggies and any kind of bean (I like black beans), along with a tablespoon of oil (sunflower or olive is great) together with spices. Maybe oregano, cayenne (if you like spicy), 21 Season Salute, or whatever you like the taste of. Drizzle that mixture with your pasta and serve. It's so yummy. You can even add tomato paste or diced tomatoes.

Food blogs are a great source of recipes, too. Just google search "vegan food recipe blog" and you will be browsing for HOURS! :P
    Good luck!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Peas and Thank You is a great resource -- she's a food blogger with a family and they have tons of dairy free, meat free dinner ideas: http://peasandthankyou.com/
  • luvinlisa
    luvinlisa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Black Bean & Corn Salad (Spanish Style) 198 CALORIES (4 SERVINGS)
    1 can of Black Beans (i used Goya)
    1 can of Corn
    1 Red Pepper (Diced)
    1/2 Medium Onion (Diced)
    1 Jalapeno (Diced) (Optional)
    2oz of Cilantro (about a Handful)
    2 Lime (Additional Limes Optional)
    2 tsp Salt
    4 Roma Tomatoes
    8 cups of Lettuce/Greens
    DIRECTIONS: Drain and Rinse your canned Corn and Black Beans in warm/hot water. Dice your Onion, Red Pepper, Jalapeno and Cilantro. Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Add your salt and fully squeeze your limes. Give it a mix, and place on a bed of lettuce. Top with a diced Tomato and a 1/4 Lime Wedge!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I take lots of recipes that have meat or cheese, and sub beans, and save the cheese to put on top at the end for those that want it. 2 of my children have severy dairy allergies.:( Also, many things that call for cream soup, just make your own, takes about 5 minutes. Instead of using milk to make it, I use coconut milk. There is an awesome website godairyfree.org that is so awesome about recipes and substitutions. Hope I helped some!!!
  • Destinie589
    Options
    Ratatouille is my all time favorite meal. It calls for parmesan but I always leave it out. :love:

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons dried parsley
    1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    salt to taste
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 zucchini, sliced
    1 large onion, sliced into rings
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    2 large tomatoes, chopped

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
    2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
    3. Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 273 | Total Fat: 14.9g | Cholesterol: 22mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! Thanks so much those all sound sooo good! They are making me hungry. :) I will print this page off for sure! Thank you all so much for you help!