Heavy weight training for women question

Options
I currently do Zumba 2x/wk and Jillian (3 lbs...her suggestion) DVDs or kettle bell workout (8lbs) 4-5 days/wk but would like to incorporate some weight training sessions. Want to tone up (skinny fat) :/. What is a good weight to start with???

Replies

• gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The heaviest weight you can handle for at least 6 reps while still maintaining good form.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    The heaviest weight you can handle for at least 6 reps while still maintaining good form.

ok so more trial and error then...ok thanks :)
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can hurt yourself by going the "trial and error" route. Proper form is key to lifting - the heavier weight will come with time. I lift - heavy at times - and I love it. "Oxygen" is a great lifting magazine. It not only gives you ides on how to lift, it also gives great motivation because the models look great. Check out their website and see if that is the way you want to go.

http://www.oxygenmag.com/
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Have you lifted before? If not, ask a trainer to check your form on whatever lifts you choose. Make sure you get the form and technique down before loading yourself with too much weight. Once you get the basics down THEN add your weight. I'd suggest 3 sets of 6-8 reps. Once you can get 8 reps, add 5-10% more weight. Don't be shy if you need a spotter, ask someone in the weight room or a trainer that isn't working with a client.

Have fun!
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Form and knowledge are definately crucial! Most gyms are introductory sessions with trainers if you cannot afford one. I highly recommend trainers. Crossfit is also a great option. You definately need to build up. You don't want to deadlift or squat unless you know the proper form, you could really hurt yourself. But lifting is great, I have shed alot of inches.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book 'new rules of weightlifting for women' it is sooooo good, gives you great workouts incorporating heavy lifting. I have just got it and love it! There is also a group on here of the women who do it :)
  • MissSonjaBelle
    MissSonjaBelle Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Sort of correct! Heaviest you can, trial and error ALTHOUGH don't pick up a weight and go "this is f#%$*ng heavy, let's do this!" just pick up a moderately heavy weight where you think to yourself "mmmm little on the heavy side" BECAUSE as your muscles fatigue, you'll be less likely to damage them. You want your LAST 4 - 5 REPS to be a struggle for muscle toning, not the WHOLE SET. Too heavy = damage, moderately heavy = nice lean, toned muscles.

And you're going for 10 - 12 reps. 6 - 8 reps on the heaviest weight is the kind of training that women who body build do
  • fitfoodietrainer
    fitfoodietrainer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely work with a trainer!!!

It's an investment towards your future.

Increasing your lean body mass (muscle, bone density) will help prevent osteoporosis, increase your resting metabolic rate, make it so you don't have to watch your diet as much and you'll look and feel better and gain tons of confidence that comes from knowing you're strong.

I've had trainers since I was 16 & have been certified since 2006 - even if you just spend 6 months soaking up all that trainer has to teach you, it will help you SO MUCH!! Then you can go look at fitness magazines and do the workouts there, and know that you're not going to hurt yourself.

Good luck!!
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Sort of correct! Heaviest you can, trial and error ALTHOUGH don't pick up a weight and go "this is f#%$*ng heavy, let's do this!" just pick up a moderately heavy weight where you think to yourself "mmmm little on the heavy side" BECAUSE as your muscles fatigue, you'll be less likely to damage them. You want your LAST 4 - 5 REPS to be a struggle for muscle toning, not the WHOLE SET. Too heavy = damage, moderately heavy = nice lean, toned muscles.

And you're going for 10 - 12 reps. 6 - 8 reps on the heaviest weight is the kind of training that women who body build do

Exactly this. Chalene Johnson (haha) always says that you shouldn't fail before 10 reps, but you shouldn't be able to do more than 12. If you can do more than 12 then the weight isn't heavy enough. Could be wrong, but that is what I was taught :/
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The 6-8 rep range is more for bulking up. Start with a higher range of 10-15 reps with light weight to let your body get used to the exercise. From there you can do 10-12 reps and still build some muscle while maintaining good tone. Machines are easy to start with. Most machines have diagrams that are pretty easy to follow. Be sure to keep your back straight or you could get a back injury. For an all body workout two or three times a week, you could start with leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, lat pulldowns, chest presses and shoulder presses. You can also add a curl machine and a tricep machine, but your arms will still get worked by the other exercises. If you keep doing zumba, that should keep your core in good shape. If you want to do barbell or dumbbell exercises and don't want to spend money on a trainer, try to find a friend to show you the proper form and technique.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I have another question :) what would I good calorie intake be? currently mfp has me on a 1200 cal/day plan...this is to lose at 1.5-2lbs/week..which weightloss was my original goal...but right now I really just want to be lean and tone and want to do what I have to get there...I currently am 118 lbs at 5'4" tall...Should I switch to maintenance??? If I do it puts me at 1550 cal/day...is that good, not good, too little, too much? I am afraid to gain weight (fat) but I know muscle gain will more than likely make the scale go up a little...I am prepared for that as long as I am seeing the change in my body you know? any thoughts???
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A healthy gain in muscle for one year for a beginner would be 10 pounds. That would be some pretty noticeable muscle on your frame. To gain 10 pounds would take an extra 95 calories per day. My two recommendations for you would be to go ahead and set your goal for maintenance and aim for 50-100 calories over that. I also recommend matching or exceeding your body weight in protein. The extra protein will help build muscle, speed recovery and keep your metabolism running high. The muscle gain will not be a straight line. The first 5 pounds will come much faster than the second 5.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    so I should be gaining 10 lbs your saying? wow that is a scary thought....but you are referring to muscle....thanks for your reply....something to consider
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules Of Lifting For Women. I rather squat or deadlift the bar only than use machines. Here is a great program designed by Rachel Cosgrove

http://experiencelife.com/article/one-month-to-muscles/

If you are interested in heavy lifting, than you will have to go up on cals. 1200 is not enough . You may go up on weight but your body fat will go down and you will notice changes - in a great way all over your body.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Check out New Rules Of Lifting For Women. I rather squat or deadlift the bar only than use machines. Here is a great program designed by Rachel Cosgrove

http://experiencelife.com/article/one-month-to-muscles/

If you are interested in heavy lifting, than you will have to go up on cals. 1200 is not enough . You may go up on weight but your body fat will go down and you will notice changes - in a great way all over your body.

sounds good to me :) I don't have the equipment for that book from what I've read on it nor do i have the money to get it :/....was considering doing turbo fire or chalene extreme....I will check out that link...thank you :)