Has anyone tried the alternate day diet? .

Options
There is a book called The Alternate Day Diet, only diet every other day to keep your metabolism at full burn. What are your thoughts on cycling your diet?

Replies

• boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just started this week I hope it works
  • sed484
    sed484 Posts: 69
    Options
    You just started the Alternate Day Diet?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Every diet that suggests eating only 500 cals a day should be avoided at all cost.
  • beckysweetpea
    beckysweetpea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    never tried this diet, but i think if you are like me and have trouble avoiding certain 'trigger' food that you know you might gorge yourself on, then maybe you shouldn't do it. i know everyones body is different and some people can manage this diet but you want to make sure that it can be sustainable and that when you finish the diet that you are eating well and not going back to old patterns.

plus i think that anything that is classified to be a 'diet' then it shouldn't be tried, cause its not about dieting but about changing your lifestyle and you control of food, but your choice no one can tell you otherwise, but if your up to doing it good luck :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If this diet actually suggests eating only 500 calories some days, I would not recommend it.

Any diet that leads to a moderate calorie deficit will help you lose weight. Your metabolism does not need any kind of tricks to keep it running. If your metabolism stopped, you'd be dead. Many people have had success following MFP guidelines.

However, you may want to look into "zig-zagging." It's similar to what you are saying, but much more sustainable. Instead of eating 500 calories one day and going all out the next, you can eating moderately less on some days. For example, someone who is zig-zagging may eat 1200 one day and 1700 the next. Do a search for it on the MFP forums.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds very similar to calorie zig-zagging. It's fine as long as your weekly deficit is reasonable (3500-7000 calories, say). Some people have lots of success with this. The only real question to ask yourself is "does this way of eating appeal to me and is it comfortable?" If so, then go for it. If not, then stick to a more steady daily intake.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If your total calories work out to a deficit then you will lose weight. But if your "diet" days are severely restricted, it may be difficult to stick to.

Are you planning on logging calories on the non-diet days? If you're seriously over-eating on those days then it will keep you from losing.

To me, it's easier to have a high-calorie day when I feel like it, or in circumstances like parties, holidays, etc., and then make up for it by reducing calories for a few days after.