Trying to GAIN Lean Mass!! anybody else???

Options
Everybody that I've come across is trying to lose weight, where as I am using this app to gain lean mass. Anybody else out there with the same goals or trouble putting down 3300+ cal?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You can't just gain lean mass. Practically impossible. To gain a pound of muscle, you'll put on at least .3lbs of fat or more even if your nutrition was spot on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to put on muscle more than loose weight. I dont care as much about a scale number as lowering my fat %. I've struggled for several weeks to get above 2500 calories or even make my protein goals. I was wondering what guys eat to get that calorie intake.
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand that, as I am certified as well. Right now my macronutrients are appox: 48% carbs, 35-37% protein, 15-17% fat. You have to maintain fat for, amongst numerous other things, proper body function and health (even to my current fat intake is rather low)

I guess my question wasn't revolving around how to gain relatively, leaner than not, mass. But rather, is there anybody else using this app to track there mass gain/ off season diet as opposed to weight loss diets
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm on that same boat..probly alot younger than you but same goals for the moment.
  • WJMont
    Options
    @bigbeardiver... I feel your pain. Lets compare diets sometime and see if we can come with more efficient macronutrients manipulation /intake per Lb of lean mass
  • WJMont
    Options
    @madroch..... The same hunger increase happens with me until I start approaching the 2800 mark. The more frequent you eat the more your metabolism increases which then leads to more hunger. Your body Is utilizing the food as fuel. What are your body stats right now?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I understand that, as I am certified as well. Right now my macronutrients are appox: 48% carbs, 35-37% protein, 15-17% fat. You have to maintain fat for, amongst numerous other things, proper body function and health (even to my current fat intake is rather low)

I guess my question wasn't revolving around how to gain relatively, leaner than not, mass. But rather, is there anybody else using this app to track there mass gain/ off season diet as opposed to weight loss diets
    I'd swap percentages in protein and carbs. Only protein builds muscle so make sure you keep it high to stay in positive nitrogen balance and encourage anabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WJMont
    Options
    @ninerbuff.... I would be willing to try that. Do you think that 35% carbs would be enough to spare any the protein intake from being used as fuel. I'm 26, 5'9", 167lbs, and have been an ectomorph my whole life. A recent motorcycle accident made me inactive for months which caused my body fat to rise to 17% (currently). Just want to make sure that my body is burning protein when I'm catabolic. Thoughts?
  • WJMont
    Options
    @mad.... Yeah you're definitely an ectomorph as well. If you are wanting to add mass, it's going to be imperative that you have a constant surplus of HEALTHY calories. Here's a great link to help you find your TEE so you know how many calories and at what ratios you'll need to start adding lbs to your frame. Feel free to ask me anything. Would love to help if I can!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The research I've done suggests protein intake of 1-2 grams per pound of lean muscle mass to provide enough protein for muscle maintenance. My LMM is 170 so I try to target 250 grams of protein, 30% fat needed for supporting testoterone levels which are also needed for muscle building in men.

However to maintain 40/30/30% that would mean 335 carbs, 250 fat and 250 protein a day which seems odd to me. Too much fat. Normal protein intake is .6 g per LMM. This would suggest 107 g per day, keeping to 40/30/30% means 150 carbs, 107 fat and 107 protein. That seems low on carbs to me.

I think I'm going to do 200 carbs, 100 fat and 250 protein changes ratio to 36 carb, 18 fat and 45 protein.
  • WJMont
    Options
    Oh I see where you're confusing yourself, cause you are right, those fat levels would be extremely high. But it seems like youre calculating grams of fat as 4 cals per gram like carbs and fat. When fat is actually calculated as 9 cals per gram
  • WJMont
    Options
    @bigbear... (cont. from last comment)... Oh and the ratios that you have are considered correct, but just make sure that the percentages are based on your BMR and TEE. Basically those percentages (e.g. 40/30/30) are percentages of your total calorie intake for the day. What is your daily caloric goal?
  • WJMont
    Options
    @mad.... Anytime! I'm an "overweight ecto" myself lol. I'm 5'9" 166lbs. But 17% BF due to recovery from a motorcycle accident. But I'm going to keep towards a mass gain diet because I know my body will drop BF as I train and keep a lean diet even with excess cals. I don't feel like dropping to 7-10% just to start bulking
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is impossible, genetics play a big part, but the real issue is how much time do you have to devote to this, and given your current physique, what's the point?

To be at the BF% you currently have, your body is already burning nearly everything you are taking in... to gain lean muscle mass, you are going to need to adopt a body builder type diet, eating small, hi-protein meals before and after workouts, probably 3-4 workouts involving more anaerobic activity (weight training and resistance work), and very little cardio. Cardio has the opposite affect on the body and actually burns the calories.

You have to convince your body you NEED the larger muscles and mass, and that only comes through increasing the need for muscle bearing activities.
  • WJMont
    Options
    @phat..... Everything you said is accurate. I am a personal trainer and I am training myself for Natural Bodybuliding comps. As I just recovered from a motorcycle accident that kept me sedentary and out of the gym, my BF is higher than its ever been right now(17%). I consume about 1.7g of protein per lean pound and try to take in 2.5g/lb of carbs in order to have energy and increase protein synthesis. My weight training routines are intense and I do light cardio 2-3/ wk for health purposes.

Nice to meet you! Please feel free to loan any suggestions!
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    bump
  • WJMont
    Options
    Same goals Moto?
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this as well. I was eating 2600-2800 and still lost a few pounds over a couple of months so I just upped it to 3000. Im doing 45 carb, 30 protein (1.35g/total bw), 25 fat. I'm working out 4 times per week, 2 upper body and 2 lower body/abs.

I'm new to this and have been doing lots of research but would love any advice or critiques (diary is open).

Thanks!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've been on a bulk all winter. About to hit the max weight I set for myself and start cutting again. My calorie goal has been about 2800 recently although I follow the "If it fits your macros" method. I try to eat my protein (which is 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass as a minimum but 1 gram for every pound of total body weight as more of a goal) and then eat whatever else I want, usually healthy but sometimes not.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have been on a bulk for 15 weeks now. I eat roughly 2500-2700 cals a day and aim for 200grams of protein a day......