Calorie confusion?

Options
I eat about 1200 calories a day. I burn 500-600 calories a day. I'm not sure if I should be eating more? I don't understand the whole deficit thing. I weigh 208.8 and I want to lose 70 lbs so I need to figure this out quick. I'm also 5'6" and 21 years old...I don't know if that matters. HELP!!!!

Replies

• KickingDarkness
    Options
    If your calorie goal is 1200 and you exercise 600 you should be eating 1800 (in other words - you should eat your exercise calories). I hope that helps.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Eat More. When you are hungry, fill your body with nutritous food. It deserves it.
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    according to what you said, you're surviving on about 600 calories a day. That isn't sustainable or healthy. You need to eat what you burn
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You'reprobably set at 2lbs loss per week which already has your calorie deficit built in. It is harder for most people to lose weight if they have a very large deficit - which you do if you are only eating 1200 calories then burning half that off. 600 calories isn't enough.

You really should be eating 1200 NET calories which would mean you'd actually be eating 1800 calories with a 600 cal burn.

If you don't lose after eating at this level for a few weeks or maybe a month, try changing your weekly loss goal to 1.5 or 1lb. Mine is set at 1.5 and I show a 3.8lbs loss this week. So even if you are set at a lower goal than 2lbs you can still lose more.