C25K'ers! Encouragement please...

Options
I'm up to week 3 day 2 tomorrow... and I've just learned that in a couple of weeks I'm going to be running for 20 minutes straight... (I think it's week 5 day 3).

Somebody please tell me that they didn't think they'd be able to do 20 minutes straight when they were at my stage! (and preferably got through it)

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I found getting past 10 minutes SO hard, and now I'm training for a Marathon, so it's completely possible! Take it really S-L-O-W and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you can't do it all first time round!

Here are my beginner's tips, some of which might help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I did it about a year ago. By the time you get there you'll be able to do it, and when you do it'll feel great! Remember just find a pace that's comfortable for you and you'll do fine. Just don't give up.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your tips are very useful and I completely agree with them! I hadn't thought about the special water bottles... will be good when it REALLY heats up here in australia (i'll be out running at 24 degree (75.2 fahrenheit) weather at 6am for a couple of weeks in February more than likely!)

Thanks for the encouraging words Gabe, they made me feel better :)
  • ChristineandRoxy
    ChristineandRoxy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I thought there was no way i would be able to run that long without dying!!! You will suprise yourself i know i did i never thought i would make it past a minute now i can run a 5k :) just keep trying it gets easier i promise
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    W5D3 has terrified almost everyone that I have talked to that has done C25K. Most never imagined that they could run 20 min straight, but I would say 90% of them were able to finish it. I think for the other 10% it was mostly in their head. I remember doing my first 20 min run and the first 10 min was the hardest. I was nervous too but I completely surprised myself! Just stick with it and trust the program. Also, if you think you are getting tired quickly on that day then slow your pace down just a little. You can do it!!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Your welcome..... Just remember running is just like walking "All you do is put one foot in front of the other." :-)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    so much of running is psychological.....don't psyche yourself out. Get a mantra going in your head, something that inspires you, visualize looking awesome in a swimming suit while you are running, whatever works for you. I have no doubt that physcially you will be able to do 20 minutes....just believe in that and don't let your head stop you!
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same spot as you in C26k- I did W3D2 this morning. I'm actually looking forward to that 20 minute run. But I'm a runner coming back from foot surgery, so it's hard for me to go as slowly as I need to. I agree with other posters- don't psyche yourself out. I remember my first 3 mile run a few years ago and I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other, at a 12 minute mile pace- and I did it. I went on to run my first half marathon about a year later. Now I know I can do it, but I have to take it slow to keep from hurting myself.

Just stick with the program and I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Trust that you can do it and you'll be able to. :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Somebody please tell me that they didn't think they'd be able to do 20 minutes straight when they were at my stage! (and preferably got through it)
    It loomed over me for ages, it is a MASSIVE jump and I was totally intimidated.

So much so, I nearly repeated the previous week. But you know what? It turns out that all that work you do in the lead up to it TOTALLY prepares you for it, and I was SO SO SO proud of myself for running 20 minutes straight.

The only way you're not prepared for it is mentally, and C25K is poor in that regard. You're so used to the idea of taking regular walking breaks, 20 minutes seems like an impossibly huge jump, but the fact is that if you can run for as long as 5 minutes, you can run for 20 minutes.

Just go for it, and don't let it intimidate you. :smile:

EDITED TO ADD: If you do a search for "W5D3" you'll find loads of threads on here by people who felt exactly the same as you. Seeing the replies should convince you that you're not alone and that you really can do it.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i remember being terrified of that time jump, but it was actually easier and more enjoyable than the intervals
  • baileyesp
    baileyesp Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I remember thinking during week three that I would never be able to run 20min non stop especially since three weeks prior I could barely run for a minute. Now I'm onto week 6 and tomorrow I will attempt to run for 25min non stop! Can't wait! Just put your mind to it and you will get there but also don't be afraid to perfect one week before you move onto the next :)
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am now in week 8 and I felt the same as you too, did a few extra days of wk5 before attempting day3, but like everyone says all the training you do beforehand does prepare you for it and you will be amazed to find you can just do it. Remember to go a little slower then you did on interval running, it is not about speed but endurance. Just do it! You will feel so proud of yourself afterwards, and before long you will be running longer and longer.

I did a 35 min run the other day, and am training for a 7km run in 4 weeks, hope to be able to do it within 40 min, I have never run before C25K.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When i saw the 10 minute straight day i got so scared that i wasnt going to be able to do it, that i didnt run for a month! I was wayyyyy over reacting because i went back to running and picked back up where i left off. Yesterday i just ran the 20 minute segment. It was tough, but i did it and you can too.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Today I did week 9 Day 1 - my first 30min run! I got there - boy was it a hot day here!

The most difficult part of any of the runs is the "head" trip. My brain has many conversations about why my body SHOULDN'T run on this particular day!
    Boy you feel good when you have finsihed!
    Don't try and go too fast!
    Good Luck :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. It's definitely a question, when you get there, of 'just do it'. And you will. You'll surprise yourself. But for now, don't worry about it. Focus on the week you're doing now.
  • felicity866
    Options
    i didn't think i would survive day 1...haha...nearly did me in!! now i am up to week 4 and feel stronger every time i go out....you will get there!!