Need help regarding what to do after a day bad :0(

Options
Hi

Well yesterday I weighed in and had lost 4lbs, was so happy but then stupidly blew it and went so far over cals allowed you wouldn't believe.

Anyway my question is do I today just start the day as if a new day and stick to my cals and do it all properly or do I need to over the next few days reduce my cals so that all the extra cals I ate are pulled back through lower cals over next few days?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you, just go straight back to your normal calorie intake . Drink a lot of water as well, it helps flush you out.
    You'll prob have days like that here and there, just keep on going, you'll get there. It's all a learning curve.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's one day - forget about it and go back to eating normally.
  • pollyanna237
    pollyanna237 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for replying. I'll get back into normal cal counting from today then and put yesterday behind me x
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a day like that yesterday but went over cos I was p#%**d off at work! I am just going to do normal cals today but make sure I exercise as well.
    Good luck! ;)
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Its actually almost a good thing.. I usually do spike days like that as it keeps your metabolism going. I would not be too concerned about it all =]
  • discodave63
    discodave63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    dont beat youself up over it its just a small glitch get bk on track today and ul be fine:smile::smile:
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    looka t your calorie intake over a week, not one day. everyone has bad days. i'm going to have one today, i know this and its not even 10am!!
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Draw a line under yesterday and start again today. Beating yourself up over yesterday will only make yourself feel cr*ppy today and therefore more likely to "fail" today. You can't do anything about yesterday, you can't go back in time, so stop worrying about it :)
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't panic sweet. We all have bad days. Keep going and forget yesterday : )
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It happened to me several times and do not worry, you will be very happy in about 4 days when you will come back to it. Considering diet or exercise, it is not what you do on a specific day that impacts but what you do on the long term: training every day, even if sometimes it is 10 min only is much better that exausting ourselves on sunday for 4 hours. The same happens on diet...your habits will make it successfull or not, not a intense effort or relaxation over a single day. Sometimes if I feel bad about it, I consider my duty to burn these calories, but in essence, you can consider this "mistake" as a reward for reaching a goal...that is in a sense what will motivate you to keep on your diet. Everyone I know allow himself/herself one day to eat whatever they want (once I ate 4500 calories) for a day...some get it once a week, the other once a month. I decreased it to 2500 (I got as much plaisure) cal and do it once every two weeks now, instead of every week.

Again, some people would quit for such misbehavior and would therefore never reach their final goal...they finally believe they can not make it. Some other will keep on, accepting some failures, and will finally reach their goal. In other words, the people who diet for a year with many mistakes will get results and those-who-do-not-make-any-mistake-and-have-the-perfect-diet-for-3-weeks-after-Christmas-or-New-Year-and-who-restart-3-weeks-before-summer-hollidays won't.

Consistency is the key ^^

Please prove yourself you are not a quitter, we are here to support you
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you, just go straight back to your normal calorie intake . Drink a lot of water as well, it helps flush you out.
    You'll prob have days like that here and there, just keep on going, you'll get there. It's all a learning curve.

Excellent advice!

We all do it, we are human. :tongue:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Draw a line under yesterday and start again today. Beating yourself up over yesterday will only make yourself feel cr*ppy today and therefore more likely to "fail" today. You can't do anything about yesterday, you can't go back in time, so stop worrying about it :)

I thought to draw a circle around it, completely containing the day in the circle, not allowing what ever caused the bad day to spill over into the next. Silly how we think of things, eh?
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should "forgive" yourself for what happened yesterday. Start afresh today in working towards your goals.

However sometimes we can learn from the past ... do you know what caused you to go off track? were you tired? worried? stressed? If we can work out what triggers certain behaviour, then we can consider what we can do to prevent that behaviour from happening again.

Of course, this may have been a "one off" situation, and there may be no need to consider whether the same thing would occur again.

All the best ...
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with what everybody else said. Don't sweat it. One day is a drop in the ocean, and it happens occasionally to most people. Punishing yourself over it could be counter productive, forgive yourself and forget about it, keep on going! Congrats on losing those 4lbs btw!
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hey we are all human and none of us are going to eat perfectly all of the time. Let it go and don't let it get the better of you - just return to normal eating tomorrow and put it down to experience :wink: .

Donna
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just go back to normal - actually they've started to recommend you have a high calorie day occasionally when on calorie restricted diet... it helps full the body into thinking that it isn't being restricted :-)
  • fiftyfrumpyfat
    Options
    Inspiring - I think I'll stop obsessing about chocolate and Have Some! Tomorrow will eat better and exercise more : )
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Inspiring - I think I'll stop obsessing about chocolate and Have Some! Tomorrow will eat better and exercise more : )

It is much pleasant the other way around....burn it, then eat it. As a child, if you play knowing you still have to study or to do the homeworks, you do not enjoy as much as when you prepared everything and can relax with a game; the same happens with chocolate ^^

Otherwise, what made a real difference for my shape is not about eating chocolate or another food, it is my understanding of emotional eating. In essence, MFP helped me to quit bad snacking through a "hey, stop, this is emotional food, you are not hungry now, or take a carrot if you are" coming to my mind before it is too late^^