Favorite Cruelty-Free Products

Options
MissB0949
MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
I want to stop using products that are tested on animals. Anyone have some products they would recommend?

I recently bought Say Yes to Tomatoes Facial Cleanser. It is the best face wash I have ever found! It leaves my skin refreshed, soft and radiant. I swear it makes my pores look smaller. My other favorite is St. Ives Apricot Scrub which many probably already use.

Replies

• xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    elf cosmetics are great and cheap!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I started using Alba Botanicals for my face, the pineapple enzyme face wash and the oil free moisturizer... it's good stuff. Smells great too. I also love EOS sweet mint lip balm. And I use the Say Yes to Carrots body lotion in a jar. We keep one of those foam pumps in the bathrooms and kitchen at the sink and keep it full of a mixture of Dr. Bronner's almond castille soap dilluted with water... lasts forever and is the best soap ever.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You could make your own, just don't put it on your dog.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options

This! I also love Urban Decay's cosmetic line and NYX is great too <3
  • chiv123
    chiv123 Posts: 36
    Options
    Whole foods is great because they have a stance against animal testing for their personal care products. One-stop shopping for tampons, soap, lotion, etc.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/departments/whole-body.php
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Oh, and Luna Pads... I recommend these. I bought some a few months ago and love them. So much better than disposable. Not exactly cosmetics... but just thought I would mention.
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options

How are their brushes? I need to buy me some and have been wanting to buy from them since they are cheap... but I wasn't sure if I'd be getting what I paid for you know?
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    Options
    The brush that comes with the ELF Blemish Kit is freaking amazing. I use it for my eyeshadows instead lol
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.mybeautybunny.com/ - its a site run by a great woman scours endlessly looking for cruelty free products!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    Options
    Check out http://www.mybeautybunny.com/ - its a site run by a great woman scours endlessly looking for cruelty free products!

Thanks for the link! I'll save it on my toolbar :)
  • MissB0949
    Options
    You guys are amazing, thanks!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Lol Absolutely! I make my own chap stick. It sells for $4 a tube here, but I can make it for practically nothing AND it actually moisturizes my lips as opposed to drying them out due to the excess wax.
  • jenlb99
    Options
    Oh, and Luna Pads... I recommend these. I bought some a few months ago and love them. So much better than disposable. Not exactly cosmetics... but just thought I would mention.

Good idea! Personally, I prefer the Diva Cup, but not every woman's comfortable using one.
  • MissB0949
    Options

Lol Absolutely! I make my own chap stick. It sells for $4 a tube here, but I can make it for practically nothing AND it actually moisturizes my lips as opposed to drying them out due to the excess wax.

I would love to hear how you make your lip balm.
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Everyday Minerals for my eyeshadows and Origins for all other makeup needs (foundation, mascara, eyeliner, cleanses, moisturizers). LUSH has some awesome bath products & soaps, and if you are as big of a lip balm addict as me, I love both Crazy Rumors and Hurraw! brands. Some others that I've heard great things about but that I haven't personally tried are Beauty Without Cruelty and Urban Decay.
  • JennieAL
    Options

Good idea! Personally, I prefer the Diva Cup, but not every woman's comfortable using one.

I bought one and tried it... Definitely not for me :( I really loved the idea but I'm the type who doesn't even tolerate tampons... So Lunapads just made perfect sense.
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try to get as much from LUSH as possible bath bombs, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and so on
    they just rock
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    Options
    Also, you can get a lot of cruelty-free products from Vitacost.com for like, really cheap. They have EVERYTHINGGGG <3
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I love urban decay everything they make is fantastic!!!
  • jenlb99
    Options

I would love to hear how you make your lip balm.

Here's the basic recipe I found online ages ago:

Basic Lip Balm

1 oz. (1 tablespoon) Sweet Almond Oil
    1 oz. (1 tablespoon) Coconut Oil
    1 ½ teaspoon of beeswax - melted measure
    1 Vitamin E Capsule
    4 drops of lip balm flavoring or any one of the following essential oils: sweet orange, peppermint (do not use perfume fragrance oils)

Melt oils (except vitamin E) and wax together over low to medium heat. Remove from heat. Add Vitamin E, flavoring and blend well. Pour into lip balm containers. Makes approximately 2 oz. of lip balm or 8 - ¼ oz. containers.

Note: This recipe works best for placing in lip balm pots. If you wish to use lip balm tubes, you may need to add a bit more beeswax to make the balm stiffer.

I use peppermint essential oil because I love that little "burn" on my lips that it provides (and I add much more than the recipe calls for). I also heat my oils and wax together in a small pyrex measuring cup within a pot of water (double boiler type situation).

Old Chap Stick brand tubes (and similar tubes) work wonderfully for this; just wash them out and fill them. The Labello ones DO NOT. They have holes at the bottom, and your mixture will just run through.

When I have all my melted mixture ready, I pour some into a tube to test it out. Pop it in the freezer and wait maybe 5 minutes; then you'll know if you need more wax or oil -- it all depends on your preference.

Lip balm is SUPER easy to make yourself, and it's SO much cheaper! If your lips tend to crack, etc. try adding a teaspoon of honey to the mixture; it won't make your lips sticky, but it will help to heal the skin.