Advice Needed for Cancun

Options
In a few weeks, I'm going to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun for one week. I should be excited but I'm actually dreading the trip. I'm not sure if I have the willpower to resist those buffets.

Any tips on how I can enjoy this trip without gaining 15 lbs?

Replies

• rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Swim like a maniac! And check out the buffets before you start picking food, get a better handle on what is offered so you can choose wisely (vs. the mound of desserts first). Make your first course a big salad and focus on the lean protiens.

Oh...and make it a buffet....not an ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet.....

Most of all....enjoy your vacation...dont stress out so bad you have a bad time...Just stop and think when you are outside of your meal times.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Swim like a maniac! And check out the buffets before you start picking food, get a better handle on what is offered so you can choose wisely (vs. the mound of desserts first). Make your first course a big salad and focus on the lean protiens.

Oh...and make it a buffet....not an ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet.....

Most of all....enjoy your vacation...dont stress out so bad you have a bad time...Just stop and think when you are outside of your meal times.

I agree.
    I brought running gear and got a run in most days. I also ate a salad plate first, then went through the buffet, much easier to resist temptation when you aren't starving. Whenever I travel, I always try to eat two good meals, then allow myself to eat whatever on the third, usually it is supper because that is often the best meal around there.

Keep in mind, you will likely gain weight. But also keep in mind the vast majority of it will be water weight that will go away once you get home and get back onto your regular eating routine. Don't get too out of gear over it.

Like they said, enjoy your vacation.
    For me, the hardest part is getting back into the gym after vacation.
  • RRT_RCP
    RRT_RCP Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I go to cancun every year. LOVE it there. Make sure you go on the trips they have available. They do cost extra money but they are so worth it exercise wise and so so so much fun! You'll be hiking and swimming ALL day on the trips. When I go, I don't worry about my calories because I KNOW I'll be burning them off. Also, if you have some one with you willing, go for runs on the beach in the early morning or at night. Most importantly have fun and take in the beautiful sceneary.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    YAY, how fun!

I agree with everyone else, get as much exercise as you can. Another awesome thing is that most of those resorts have a wide variety of healthy foods, so you can start each meal off with a big salad (even breakfast).

Awareness is the biggest deal. We went to Hawaii in October. I KNEW exactly what I was doing when I put each and every bad thing in my mouth, but I did not care. I knew that I would gain some weight and I knew that I would have the will power to lose it, and that is why I am here now. Ya know what, it was worth every freaking bite. So just consider, before you eat anything, that you will have consequences for that action and can you deal with said consequences?

Unless you run off on a luxury vacation every few months, I say enjoy yourself! Of course that does not mean fill your plate up with 3000 calories of sweet rolls in the morning, but one wont kill you. Be kind to yourself, be reasonable. And most of all ENJOY!
  • drczr
    drczr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will bring my running shoes and try to run on the beach or use their gym frequently. Eating salads before the main meal is also a great idea.
  • bakrgirl74
    Options
    We went last spring. I LOVED it.. I totally fell off the wagon. I kind of forgot about the calories in all the fru fru drinks at the bar.. The buffets were great, a lot of healthy choices! We had several different restaurants available to us nightly. We chose a different restaurant every night. Again healthy choices were available. They also had a gym to work out in, and activities every day, like running on the beach, beach volleyball, water volleyball, water aerobics, dance lessons, tennis. Take advantage. When we go again, I will totally take advantage of those things!